The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 15, 2013, 02:29 PM   #1
droptrd

10 gauges.

I've finally met some guys that are into duck hunting. Since I don't live near my dad anymore, I have noone to go with. Some guys at work are hard core. They took me out with them this past season and I was quite embarrassed. My 535 pump gun was the laughing stock of the blind. These guys all use 10 ga autos with 3.5" loads. Most of their guns were browning.

I am starting to save up for a 10ga and was wondering what was recommended. I'm a longtime mossberg guy. They don't offer a 10 to my knowledge. My lgs has an ithica mag10 for 750.
Old February 15, 2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Mossberg 935 w/3 1/2" chamber will shoot just as far and kill just as dead and since you are already a Mossberg fan the learning curve will be shorter. They might be throwing more pellets out there but they won't go any faster or farther than your load and more pellets won't make up for poor shooting. Get some boxes of 3" shells and enjoy the day.

Unless you really crave a new gun I would stick with what you have, the 535, smile nicely and gather up your share of the ducks. I like my 10 gauge a lot but for serious social work it isn't the gun I grab. If you get the Ithaca let us know how it works out for you but I'm thinking your body would prefer the 12 gauge.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 15, 2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Evan Thomas

What Old Grump said. You might want to spring for an autoloader, but there's nothing wrong with the shotgun you have. If the guys you went hunting with all think they need 10 gauges, and make fun of what you have... there are names for people like that, and you can probably find a better class of people to hunt with. Use your 535, or get a 935, and go bust a lot of clays between now and next season. Then you can embarrass them.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; February 15, 2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: fun with numbers.
Old February 15, 2013, 03:43 PM   #4
BigJimP

I wouldn't go with a 10ga either....but if you want one, I'd stick with the Browning Gold series... in a 28" barrel...

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=011&tid=280

--------------
Browning used to make a Gold series 12ga ....and there are still a few of them around...see if your local dealers have any new in box / or their distributor might still have them ( they quit making the Gold series in a 12ga about 3 yrs ago ....now they make the Maxus model, in a 12 ga ...its a solid gun as well.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=011&tid=619
Old February 15, 2013, 08:50 PM   #5
Virginian

I have had six ten gauges. Nothing will reach out there with authority, especially with steel, like a ten. You pay for that with weight and recoil. The Ithaca Mag 10 was prone to failure. Parts breaker. And heavy enough to need a gun bearer or wheels. The older SxSs work, but are also heavy. The Browning BPSs are extremely reliable and lighter than the aforementioned guns. I had three that never missed a beat. They are not lightweights but better. The Remington remake of the Ithaca Mag 10 seems to be a lot more reliable, but it is still heavy as hell.
If you want a semi, a Browning Gold 10 is the best answer by a mile in my opinion. If you like a pump, a BPS will get you there for a lot less money.
When tungsten came along I went back to a 3" 12 gauge.
Old February 15, 2013, 10:06 PM   #6
droptrd

10 gauges.

Thanks for the replies guys. The collector in me wants a new gun. I'm gonna try to get the price down on this used Ithaca in town. If I can't I'm thinking I'll save up for a browning gold
Old February 16, 2013, 08:05 AM   #7
Virginian

If you have some patience, shop around. I see a Browning Gold 10 used occasionally going for a good price. Some people get them and then decide a 10 isn't for them. It is a limited market.
Another note. As I said I replaced a lot of parts in quite a few Ithacas; I was a dealer back then. I do not know what the parts situation is, but they have been out of production for a while now, so whatever is left has to be shrinking.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:54 AM   #8
rcase1234

To me, it seems the 10 ga is slowly going away because the 12 ga 3.5" shell is kind of replacing it. I have a 535 and its an awesome duck gun. But if you want something new and your a mossberg guy, get a 935
Old February 19, 2013, 09:16 AM   #9
droptrd

Yesterday I was able to shoot a Browning Gold and BPS and also an Ithaca all in 10 ga. The Browning are just soo well made and the wood is stunning. I think ill pass on the Ithaca and save up for a browning.
Old March 4, 2013, 04:49 PM   #10
publius

The 10 does have a slight ballistic advantage over the 3.5 12. That being said, I had an SP10 and my brother has a BPS 10 and we both quit using them because they are so damned heavy. The Mossberg 835 with it's big 10 ga. barrel patterns great and has replaced my heavy 10.
Old March 4, 2013, 05:35 PM   #11
droptrd

10 gauges.

The 835 can come on 10ga?
Old March 5, 2013, 02:01 PM   #12
CurlyQ.Howard

Here's one: http://www.armslist.com/posts/851733...sberg-835--935
Old March 6, 2013, 01:10 AM   #13
Virginian

The Mossberg has an overbored barrel. It is not a 10 gauge.
Old March 6, 2013, 06:25 AM   #14
jp_over

This reminds me, I "need" a Browning Gold light 10 gauge...

I've been wanting one for a long time but haven't wanted to drop the cash. If you're just hunting ducks, 12 gauge 3 1/2 is a fine choice. If you get into some serious goose hunting a 10 is the way to go.

Don't forget about the Browning Gold "auto feed" feature (let's you load from the bottom on an empty chamber. I've enjoyed this ever since learning on my Dad's old A5.

Man, I need to stay off gunbroker...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=331667410
Old March 6, 2013, 10:04 AM   #15
WV_gunner

I had wanted a 10 gauge due to it being the biggest of the common shotgun gauges. After some searching, I ended up with a Stevens single shot with a full choked 36 inch barrel. I believe I paid $220, might of been $250. It has a 3 1/2 inch chamber. Good gun and probably the cheapest way of getting a 10 gauge. NEF also makes a 10 gauge. Used can be had for $200-$250.
Now if I can just find an 8 gauge on the cheap.
Old March 6, 2013, 01:52 PM   #16
Husqvarna

it is ducks not dinosaurs why the need for such an oomph?

never seen a 10 gauge even, seen people with 20s shoot everything that is allowed with a shotgun here, most with 2,75 shells