The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 9, 2010, 01:00 PM   #1
JakeSnakeSlim

Pistol/Carbine load help

One of the members took issue with this being on the Cowboy Action forum as he said it belonged here, so I'll try here also, don't want to ruffle any feathers.

Need help on a 38 special load for my 20" carbine that will not lead the barrel. Want to use the same bullets (LRNFP) and powder that I use for my 4 " revolver. If I keep the load light such as 3.2 g of bullseye for the revolver I don't know if the fast powder is any good for the carbine loads.

Would like to come up with a 158g bullet/powder combination to use for both that won't cause leading problems for target shooting with the pistol or the carbine. I like simple cause I'm simple. Any help would be most welcome. Thanks
Old June 9, 2010, 02:40 PM   #2
kraigwy

I load the same loads for my Marlin 357 as I do my revolvers, they work just fine. If bullseye works for your pistol loads they will work in the Marlin.

Of course, like your revolver if you want hot loads I'd go with the slower burning power. I dont, I gear my 38s to my 642 since I"m not doing anything with 38s as far as hunting 'n such. Then I would go to my 357 loads.

The only exception to the above is my loads for my Model 52 Smith, it will only take full WCs, so it dosnt feed in the marlin. However, if you hand feed the wadcutters they shoot dern good.

Your 3.2 of bullseye w/158s should work fine.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 9, 2010, 03:26 PM   #3
JakeSnakeSlim

Thanks for the help Kraig, I'll try what I have loaded for the 38's in the carbine. Looks like it will keep the fps around 1000 so leading should not be a problem in the carbine with the softer lead pistol bullet.

Also do you load any harder lead hard cast round for your Marlin in 357 cases. I've been looking at the Missouri 158g rifle LRNFP bullet for that. With that however I would probably need a diff power. Thanks again - Slim
Old June 9, 2010, 04:02 PM   #4
kraigwy

No Sir, I use pretty much all wheel weights except for my BPCR loads (44-90 & 45-70), which I use dern near pure lead
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 9, 2010, 04:24 PM   #5
Doodlebugger45

I basically quit loading for .38 spl cases, preferring to put everything into the .357 cases, even the mild loads. Just easier for me. However, when I DID load 38 spl, I had real good luck using 3.5 gr of 231/HP 38 with a 158 gr cast bullet. It gives about 800 fps, very clean burning and I never saw any leading in my revolvers.
Old June 10, 2010, 02:26 AM   #6
bamaranger

not much luck

For a long time, I wanted companion/dual loads for my ruger b-hawk .357 and my marlin carbine. I was using 6.0 grs Unique, and was hoping for a mid range load, appx 1000 fps from the rev. w/ a 158 gr slug. The carbine I figured, would be slightly faster due to the longer bbl..but that would be OK. I figured high volume shooting, so go with lead slugs, right?

Problem was, I could not find commercial lead bullets that would not lead at that sedate velocity, even in the revolver, much less the faster carbine. Tried Magna, 3D, and some local stuff,......... all were to soft. I guess I was a bit optimistic on my desired velocity.

May be some of the more recent manufacturers have harder lead?

I was so soured on the project that I went to jacketed bullets, even for my mild "mid" range .357 loads. My favorite slug, the half jacket speer 160, is now out of production.