The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 13, 2009, 07:03 AM   #51
Sarge

Your draw speed should be about two minutes faster than the other guy.

That gives you a minute for the 'dead man's five seconds' to take effect, 'cause often it is more like 30 seconds and the minute gives you some cushion.

You also get another 30 seconds to get behind something big and heavy, and scan/reload...plus 15 seconds to examine yourself for new holes, cuss, shake your head, and decide if you want to puke or pee your pants. Careful administration of that time will also accommodate a quick prayer of thanks, if you're so inclined.

Last 15 seconds should be used to ensure that you are in a secure location and call 911.
Old May 13, 2009, 02:31 PM   #52
threegun

Bill,

Quote:
You might be fast, but when we're talking about drawing against a gun already pointed at you, do you really want to bet your life that your speed is faster than his reaction time?
I was very fast.....still pretty fast but as I said before I couldn't beat the reaction time of my coworkers who were ready to shoot at any movement. I totally agree with you which is why I place much more emphasis on sniffing trouble out (situational awareness) than draw speed.

Sarge, A+ Some folks place emphasis on speed while remaining in condition white mistakenly thinking that raw cat like speed will save the day. I really think they fail to understand that having the speed to draw and fire before the bad guy can pull the trigger doesn't automatically equal a win. You still have an armed bad guy pointing a gun at you. Better to avoid or prepare before it happens.

Pure speed has surely saved folks in the past and will in the future but situational awareness alone has and will continue to save many many more every day.

Last edited by threegun; May 13, 2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old May 13, 2009, 05:35 PM   #53
Nnobby45

When asked by a student how much time he'd have to draw in a real gunfight, Clint Smith said, "the rest of your life".

Clint Smith also points out he never saw a timer in a gunfight.

As for a demonstration of what good speed looks like, watch Gabe Suarez move laterally while drawing at the same time and hitting the target (don't forget that part).
The DVD is Close-Range Gunfighting.

Draw and hit speeds as discussed on this board are, I assume, from the timer. 1.5 sec. is good speed. Under two, not bad from concealed.
Old May 13, 2009, 06:14 PM   #54
Japle

Quote:
Draw and hit speeds as discussed on this board are, I assume, from the timer. 1.5 sec. is good speed. Under two, not bad from concealed.
Yep.