The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 16, 2008, 10:48 AM   #26
TexasSeaRay

Quote:
Using a tumbler or vibrating case cleaner with live ammo is not a great idea. You can actually change the burn rate of the powder inside the round and if you have reloaded to max, it can create and over pressure.
Another old wives tale.

When we were living in Kansas City, my office used to be less than a mile from Hogden's on the Shawnee-Mission Parkway. Guess where I used to spend my extended lunches? (You could take your own containers in there and they'd scoop powder for you, a pound at a time, for ridiculously low prices.)

I asked them a number of times about tumbling loaded rounds. All they said was that their lawyers were against it--which is why Legal is referred to as "Sales Prevention" by so many corporations. Lawyers took the statistical chance of one in a gazillion and decided it was easier to just say "No, don't do it."

Kinda of like gun manufacturers warn regarding reloaded ammunition.

Several months ago, I talked to both a ballistician and a chemist with Accurate Powders about some unrelated matters concerning their powders. But when I asked about tumbling loaded ammo and how it would affect the burn rate due to erosion of the powder granules, both of them said that you'd have to tumble the ammo for days and weeks on end just to even get a chance of that happening.

I rarely tumble my reloaded ammo, but when I do, I don't think twice about it.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old June 16, 2008, 12:23 PM   #27
CrustyFN

Damn Nitro I love that picture. I put some 45 cases in and forgot them for a couple of days. When I checked they were down to 9mm. Sorry I figured someone had to.
Rusty
Old June 16, 2008, 01:21 PM   #28
lll Otto lll

Quote:
Has there ever been a case of a round going off in a tumbler? Not that I know of.
Has there ever been a case of a tumbler catching on fire?
Old June 17, 2008, 01:08 AM   #29
Crazy4nitro

Rusty,
I think some of the Best Pictures are thrown together or accidental/unintentional.

This one is my current Screen Background.

'Nitro
Old June 17, 2008, 06:35 PM   #30
GP100man

crs

0000pSSS!!

GP100man

Last edited by GP100man; June 17, 2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: doubled tapped
Old June 17, 2008, 06:37 PM   #31
GP100man

crs

i have a batch that tumbled a week , my reloading set up is in another house& what i heard was the tumbler wiggled across the table & was rattlin the door!!!!
that was the shiniest 357 brass i ever shot!!!!!
nice pic of the glock & ammo!!!!

GP100man
Old June 17, 2008, 09:42 PM   #32
FishinggodBilly

I wouldnt tumble live ammo (chicken) but that is a beautiful picture. Thanks for sharing!
Old June 18, 2008, 02:51 AM   #33
Crazy4nitro

I get Heckled occasionally for storing my Primers next to my Powder...*shruggs*.....

'Nitro
Old June 18, 2008, 03:21 AM   #34
Bones507

I never thought about tumbling live ammo, i just thought it wasnt the best idea in the world but i may try it once to see what happens. I tumbled a bunch of 223 cases last week that someone gave me, quite a few in fact and when i was putting them through the separator i found a live round was in there that was missed, actually the primer was struck and the round must have been considered a dud so thats why it was thrown in i assume.
I have been using 2-3 capfulls on car wax polish and have been getting great results, i know there are mixed feelings about this. I was using Frankford arsenal polish but after using the media for about 7 times the brass isnt coming out with any sort of shine, its clean but no shine. Im using 2001 polish and Nu Finish and i let it tumble thru the media for about 2 mins then add brass and i have no complaints. I let it go for about 1 hour to 1-1/2 and it comes out like new.
Old June 21, 2008, 04:08 PM   #35
swmike

Why is it everyone knows about the warnings on tumbling live ammo but can't provide documentation that a problem has actually occured. Lots of "I know someone who knew someone who was related to another guy who tumbled live ammo and blew up his rifle/pistol but no FACTUAL information.

This is how urban legends are formed and perpetuated.

Remember, those who blindly follow the warning also ignore the warning to not shoot reloads placed in almost every owner's manual from almost every manufacturer of guns.

Which "rules" are the most important. The ones you agree with or the ones that actually have basis in fact?

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".