The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 17, 2007, 11:29 AM   #1
brendon_corbitt

SBR Krinkov project snag

So a while back I bought a Krinkov version of an AK-74 with the fake suppressor to meet the legal barrel length requirement. I recently became interested in going through the process to make it into a SBR.

Currently I am in Iraq and have four months left on my tour. I will be living on the family farm for the first two to three months after I get back home then will be moving to a city in the next county over.

My plan had been to submit the paperwork after my move since I know that I will be staying at that same residence for many years to come. I decided to contact that county's sheriff to see if they typically sign off on ATF Form 1 paperwork so I could know ahead of time if I would be able to complete that step since it seems that is where most people meet problems. The county's sheriff said that he does not sign off on any paperwork to make any form of alterations or firearms outside of the normal legal limits, so it seems I may have met a dead end.

I was wondering if anybody knew of any ways around this? Does it have to be the county's sheriff or can the chief of police in the city I am moving to sign off on the paperwork?

Also, I know that the Sheriff for the county I currently claim as my residence will sign off on the ATF Form 1, but I will only be living there for maybe two months after I return to the states before I move, and I know the paperwork takes more time to process than that. Am I correct in assuming that there is enough to be done on the Form 1 that I wouldn't possibly be able to submit the paperwork from over here in Iraq and I won't be able to do it until I am back home?

If anyone could offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated, I'll be the first to admit I don't know terribly much about this topic never having done it before myself, and the web pages I have visited thus far haven't been able to answer all of my questions.
Old July 17, 2007, 12:40 PM   #2
ws6_keith

Quote:
The county's sheriff said that he does not sign off on any paperwork to make any form of alterations or firearms outside of the normal legal limits, so it seems I may have met a dead end.
The "sign off" is asking the sheriff if you are an upstanding person in the community, and if you are legally allowed to own such a weapon in your area...NOT to ask his permission to build it. That is granted to you by ATF when you get your signed, approved paperwork back.
Old July 17, 2007, 12:50 PM   #3
shaggy

If you know you're not going to be staying at the farm for long once you return to the US, I wouldn't that for the F1. You should be able to get a F1 approved in 2-3 months, but since you already know the farm is only a temporary address and the place in the city will be your permenent residence I'd wait and use the city address. While the sheriff or chief of police in the city probably isn't going to sign-off on a F1/F4, I'd plan on forming either a corporation or trust to own the weapons, thus bypassing the CLEO signoff entirely.
Old July 18, 2007, 01:30 AM   #4
MisterPX

You can use your police chief, your DA, or a judge that can do felony cases.
Old July 18, 2007, 05:59 AM   #5
oldbillthundercheif

I think you can get around the CLEO sign-off by registering your NFA devices to a revocable life trust instead of one individual. I've been looking into it myself...

Here's the details:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=244223
Old July 18, 2007, 08:06 AM   #6
Hkmp5sd

Do as Thunderchief said and make a Trust. It is quick and easy. It also eliminates the need for fingerprints and photos.

BTW, after you do it, inform the Sheriff that what you are doing IS within "normal legal limits" and his prejudices cannot stop you. In fact, his prejudice has allowed you to simplify the NFA process for this and all future transfers.

NRA Life Member
Old July 20, 2007, 09:26 AM   #7
brendon_corbitt

On the topic of the revokable living trust. That's a fairly new concept to me since I've never considered making one before. It looks as though you have to own property to make one, is that true? I've been doing the apartment thing for the last few years, so I don't own any property at all.
Old July 20, 2007, 03:01 PM   #8
oldbillthundercheif

There are some types of life-trusts that are land-specific, but I don't think it's a requirement for all the variations. Make an appointment with a property lawyer when you get back and he/she will be able to write one up that meets your needs. As I remember they usually only charge $100-200 for this sort of thing and may go even lower for a vet fresh out of the dust.

Trusts were created to be flexible. I bet you will be able to carve one out to your specification. Good luck.
Old July 20, 2007, 03:53 PM   #9
ws6_keith

My local gun store told me you can get the trust documents at Office Max for less than $30, and do it all yourself. FYI.