The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 21, 2018, 06:05 PM   #26
Model12Win

The P01 is a compact handgun designed with NATO services in mind.

It is quite possibly the most reliable and durable semi in human history.

It passed the vaunted, legendary NATO standardization MILSPECS with flying colors. It is among the very best, if not THE best, fighting handguns in the world.
Old June 21, 2018, 06:23 PM   #27
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win View Post

It passed the vaunted, legendary NATO standardization MILSPECS with flying colors. It is among the very best, if not THE best, fighting handguns in the world.
IIRC it did not pass any NATO test. It is a NATO stocked pistol so it has a NSN #.

The Czech Police required the pistol to pass a rigid testing standard. NATO did not. This is what the Czech police put the pistol through.

Must be able to complete the following without failure:

4000 dry firings
3000 De-cockings
Operator level disassembly 1350 times with out ware or damage to components.
Complete disassembly 150 times, this is all the way down, pins, springs etc.
100% interchangability, any number of pistols randomly selected, disassembled, parts mixed and reassembled with no failures of any kind including loss of accuracy.

Safety requirements:

Drop test
1.5 meter (4.9') drop test, this is done 54 times with the pistol loaded (blank) and the hammer cocked. Dropping the pistol on the butt, the muzzle, back of the slide, sides of the gun, top of the slide, in essence, any angle that you could drop the gun from. This is done on concrete and 0 failures are allowed! A failure is the gun firing.

3meter drop (9.8') 5 times with the pistol loaded (blank) and the hammer cocked, This is done on concrete and 0 failures are allowed! A failure is the gun firing.

After these tests are complete the gun must fire without service.

The factory contracted an independent lab to do additional testing on guns that previously passed the drop tests. These pistol were dropped an additional 352 times without failure.

The pistol must also complete an environmental conditions test:
This means cold, heat, dust/sand and mud.
The pistol must fire after being frozen for 24 hours at –35C (-36F).
The pistol must fire after being heated for 24 hours at 70C (126F)
The pistol must fire after being submerged in mud, sand and combinations including being stripped of oil then completing the sand and mud tests again.

Service life:
The service life requirement from the Czech police was 15,000 rounds of +P ammo!
The pistol will exceed 30,000 rounds with ball 9mm.

Reliability:
The reliability requirements for the P-01 pistol are 99.8%, that’s a .2% failure rate.
This equals 20 stoppages in 10,000 rounds or 500 “Mean Rounds Between Failure” (MRBF)
During testing, the average number of stoppages was only 7 per 15,000 rounds fired, this is a .05% failure rate, a MRBF rate of 2142 rounds! Over 4 time the minimum acceptable requirement.
The U.S. Army MRBF requirement is 495 rounds for 9mm pistols with 115 grain Ball ammunition.
Old June 21, 2018, 10:20 PM   #28
jreXD9

That's why I like CZ's. Plus they look good. Plus they feel good. Plus they're accurate. Plus they're affordable.
Old June 22, 2018, 01:37 AM   #29
Pond, James Pond

Gimme an "S"!
Gimme a "P"!
Gimme an "0"!
Gimme a "1"!

I bought myself an SP-01 as a well-deserved present to myself, HD, SD and IPSC.

It was more than the 75B, but was all steel, had excellent feel, rubber grips, tritium night-sights and two 18-r'ders.

It is the DA/SA safety type.

DA is a bit long for me fingers, but manageable. Too big for me to CCW, but I didn't buy it for that. I use it in IPSC competitions, when not running my Redhawk.

It is accurate and has not failed to fire a single time in the 2000+ rounds I have put thought it.

The finish is still solid, although I don't chuck it about....

If you're not against another full-size, I'd seriously go back and look at it.
Old June 22, 2018, 08:07 AM   #30
Fishbed77

Quote:

That's a lot of hyperbole.
Old June 22, 2018, 03:20 PM   #31
mk70ss

CZ’s are great guns and are addictive. Really can’t go wrong with any of them. Whichever one you choose, it won’t be your last.......
Old June 22, 2018, 04:18 PM   #32
PushPuller

Quote:
If you're not against another full-size, I'd seriously go back and look at it.

Im not against it at all. In fact iv fondled a buddies SP-01 since I made this thread and although I really like the PCR and P-01 I have a heavy attraction to full size pistols. I keep telling myself that I should just get the SP-01 and send it off to CGW. I keep saying it will be the more modern "sports car" version to my classic 75B.
Old June 22, 2018, 09:25 PM   #33
teamd44

Bought a Glock 19 Gen 5 at Christmas. Wanted a CZ 75 Compact but couldn’t find one. Got a great deal on the 19 and bought it. Bought it mostly because I shot a Gen 4 really well and thought it would be even better. After two range trips it was obviously not the gun for me. Hated the grip mostly. Last week I decided I wasn’t going to settle and traded it for a CZ 75 Compact. Lost a few bucks because the Glock only had around 500 rounds through it, but I am over the moon with the CZ. Best decision I have ever made. Love the grip. Love the weight. Love the trigger. What ever you do, don’t consider CZ’s. I want to keep them a secret!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 23, 2018, 08:18 AM   #34
PushPuller

Its funny that you hate the grip on the Glock. Iv only fired a Glock a couple times and never thought about buying one simply because I hate the grip as well. For 9mm I think the CZ75 has the best feeling grip out there. For almost the same cost as a glock I feel like the CZ is generally worlds better.
Old June 23, 2018, 04:49 PM   #35
jetinteriorguy

If I could only have one 9mm, it would without a doubt be my 75B SA. I wouldn't miss all the others, in fact if I could recover most of my money I'd sell all my others and buy CZ's.
Old June 23, 2018, 07:18 PM   #36
JRR

I purchased my first CZ in 2002. An original CZ 452 Super BRNO 2500.
I soon discovered the CZ75. Currently have a 75 SA with a 40 cal., a SP01 top end in 9mm and a Kadet 22.
Three calibers with one frame. Lots of Cajun parts and a short reach trigger that I special ordered from Europe.
Old June 23, 2018, 09:56 PM   #37
willr

If you don't have a prejudice against the 32acp try the CZ70. I have fallen in love with mine. It is old but good! I don't think you can find one that is "new" but certainly one that is in good shape. I found the grip somewhat uncomfortable, so I added one of those ''sleeve" grips which makes it just fine.
willr
Old June 23, 2018, 10:18 PM   #38
EM44052

About 7 months ago I purchased the CZ 75 P-01, but I did not like the long reset and DA pull. I saw the praises of CGW online and purchased the defense carry package. I installed the kit and polished the internals, and it was a pretty tedious installation. It was worth it because it is now my favorite handgun.
Old June 24, 2018, 07:55 AM   #39
PushPuller

Quote:
If you don't have a prejudice against the 32acp try the CZ70. I have fallen in love with mine. It is old but good! I don't think you can find one that is "new" but certainly one that is in good shape. I found the grip somewhat uncomfortable, so I added one of those ''sleeve" grips which makes it just fine.
willr

Iv actually looked into the CZ 70 before. Unfortunately iv never seen or held one in person nor have I any experience with 32 ACP and couldn't bring myself to buy one at the time.

I have also looked into the CZ 82 with much interest, but missed a couple opportunities to get one when while they were still under $300. Now it seems like they are kind of hard to find, and when you do find one somebody wants $450+ for a beat up one. For that price I may as well just get a newer CZ in 9mm.
Old June 25, 2018, 02:00 AM   #40
Ignition Override

My only CZs are a very-used (10,000 rds. +) PO1, and a new PCR.

Handguns didn't really interest me until last December; am age 62.

All I can say is that everybody who tries these guns --some of whom are handgun instructors-- really likes them.
Even a friend with small hands (has a Glock 19) enjoys them.
Old June 25, 2018, 03:36 AM   #41
Nathan

I would look at something SAO. They have some great SAO pistols.
Old June 25, 2018, 08:38 AM   #42
Pilot

They are all great. A buddy has an SP-01, and it is also a fantastic pistol, so just pick one.
Old June 25, 2018, 01:22 PM   #43
Brownstone322

PCR! PCR! PCR!

I mean, I have one and love it (mostly*), so it has to be the right choice.

* Narrow slide + stiff recoil spring = Not the easiest thing in in the world to operate

** Takedown on CZ 75's is kinda goofy, even compared to pistols from its era.

Meanwhile, I have the bug for a P-07
Old June 25, 2018, 06:53 PM   #44
PushPuller

This might be a dumb question. But have any of you with a PCR or PCR experience noticed accuracy differences from 25 yards and under compared to a full size SP-01 or 75B?

My one issue with the idea of a CZ compact is a loss of accuracy faster at ranges past 10 yards and under 25.

Im not sure if my eyes/glasses aren't exactly what they used to be but my groups start to open up about 12 yards with my 75B. My preferred range to practice is between 10-15 yards and am wondering if Ill notice anything different between the two different sized handguns. I know my skill level plays a larger part in this than the barrel length most likely but lets just act like it doesn't haha!
Old June 25, 2018, 10:03 PM   #45
Brownstone322

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushPuller View Post
This might be a dumb question. But have any of you with a PCR or PCR experience noticed accuracy differences from 25 yards and under compared to a full size SP-01 or 75B?

My one issue with the idea of a CZ compact is a loss of accuracy faster at ranges past 10 yards and under 25.

Im not sure if my eyes/glasses aren't exactly what they used to be but my groups start to open up about 12 yards with my 75B. My preferred range to practice is between 10-15 yards and am wondering if Ill notice anything different between the two different sized handguns. I know my skill level plays a larger part in this than the barrel length most likely but lets just act like it doesn't haha!
My reply will be unsatisfactory, but I can add a little.

With a 3.75-inch barrel, the PCR is a little on the small side, even compared to most compacts. I've never tried to shoot it anywhere near that distance, because I don't see the practicality of it.

That said, at distances where I'm comfortable with a piece that small (7 and 10 yards), I shoot it about as well my Beretta 92, which is comparable to a CZ 75. The PCR is lighter and snappier, obviously, but I can shoot good groups within my comfort zone. (Sorry, but I have never actually fired a full-size CZ 75.)
Old June 26, 2018, 07:10 AM   #46
EM44052

Hi PushPuller, I agree with WVsig that the CZ 75 P-01 is a great handgun to purchase if you can find one. I installed the CGW Defensive Package in mine and polished the internals and it makes a world of difference in the SA/DA pull. I am pretty sure this kit would work with the PCR and the Compact.

The only other thing I am going to do to my P-01 is get rid of the sights, and install the Truglo TFX tritium and fiber-optic xtreme sights. I have heard good things about these sights. Any one else have experience with the TFX sights?

As far as accuracy, I usually practice 7-10 yards. I have noticed that I am more accurate with my P-01 since the installation of the CGW kit. My eyes are not what they used to be, and that is why I am changing the sights, and hopefully improve accuracy at longer distances.

Last edited by EM44052; June 26, 2018 at 07:29 AM.
Old June 26, 2018, 07:47 AM   #47
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushPuller View Post

All things being equal if you take shooter error out of the equation the gun should not deviate much at 10 yard vs 15 yards IMHO. 99% of the difference you see in groups is the shooter not the gun. If you strapped a 75B and a 75 Compact into a Ransom Rest the groups would be very similar at 15 yards. at 25 you will see some difference but not as much as is introduced by the shooter.

That said the CZ bushing is not super tight and normally has some play and varriance from gun to gun. Installing a CGW 10X bushing or CZ Customs Bushing can tighten up groups on any CZ pistol. They are press in and can be installed by the end user.
Old June 26, 2018, 06:06 PM   #48
PushPuller

Thanks WVsig for the thorough answer. Iv thought about putting the bushing in but wasn't sure if it would make much of an impact on accuracy. After looking around on the web it seems as though it really does!
Old July 1, 2018, 08:16 AM   #49
Kilrb

I have an SP01 and a .40cal. 75B both with the CGW Pro Package done in their shop before and after results are amazing well worth the wait.
Old July 24, 2018, 05:59 PM   #50
PushPuller

So... I think this weekend is when im going to finally make a purchase. Iv decided that I will be getting the SP-01. I was set on the P-01 but I keep coming back to the SP-01, an if I keep considering it I should probably just get the darn thing.

I will be buying from a LGS that carries both the manual and decocker models.

Iv been considering the Tactical model with the decocker but have caught wind that the decocker makes it more difficult or unable to upgrade. Is this true? I plan to eventually send it off to CGW.

Second question, Opinions on the night sights?

Tags
.45 acp , 9mm , cz75