The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 17, 2018, 01:23 PM   #1
TXAZ

Kimber 1911: If you own one, what do you like / not like?

If you own or regularly shoot a Kimber 1911 (.45 or 9mm), what do you like about it, what don't you like about it?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 17, 2018, 01:43 PM   #2
mk70ss

Had a Kimber Target Elite for two years. Loved it. Accurate, great sights, great trigger and overall, a high quality 1911. Traded it towards a Wilson Combat EDC X9 though.
Old June 17, 2018, 03:52 PM   #3
Charlie98

I've got two... a Pro Eclipse II and a Pro Carry. Like them, love them, want more of them...

I've had the Eclipse for 15 years, it has always been 100% The Pro Carry is new to me, bought, essentially, NIB... the previous owner put one box of ammos through it. It was built around 2000 and is a non-Series 80 design (as I understand it.)

I don't really have anything bad to say about either of them. I have owned a Colt, a Springfield, and a Taurus... I have bad things to say about all of those, but that is just me own experience.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old June 17, 2018, 03:56 PM   #4
Rfactor

Well I don't have a 9mm or 45acp, but I do have a Eclipse Target 38 Super & a Camp Guard 10mm. Both are smooth, accuarate, and a joy to shoot.
Old June 17, 2018, 06:02 PM   #5
rock185

Over about 20 years, I've had a half dozen Kimbers. Mine have been in 9MM, 38 Super, and one 10MM. The 10MM was picky about ammo as received, but a total of three 9MMs and two 38 Supers functioned flawlessly from Day 1. I added a 9MM barrel to my current 38 Super Eclipse Target. All it took was the 9MM barrel and magazine to have to have a reliable Kimber in both calibers. I didn't change or adjust anything else to convert to 9MM. I've read a lot of the Kimber/MIMber trashing on enthusiast forums. I'm all set to join in the Kimber trashing fun, just as soon as I have a Kimber horror story to report

Added gratuitous photo of Kimber Target II 9MM and Eclipse 38S/9MM that continue to perform reliably. The Eclipse for a couple years, the Target II for several years now. I'll be sure to report whenever they become Jammamatics, crack, break, crumble or otherwise become a bummer. Don't be in a hurry, this might take a while......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIMBERS (16) (640x480).jpg (128.0 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by rock185; June 20, 2018 at 01:20 AM.
Old June 17, 2018, 06:20 PM   #6
LineStretcher

I have a Kimber Custom II 1911 in stainless. I have big hands and no 1911 really fits my palm well so I added a set of Hogue laser grips. The trigger was pretty stiff but after some work I was able to get it to perform much better. I'm tall with long arms so using the iron sights was difficult but there are a ton of options to fix that. I chose to go with an RMR which has proven to be an excellent choice. I did have to mill the slide to accept the mount but I have an end mill so it was pretty easy.

At first I was having problems with mags but then Kimber sent me a notice that their 8 round mags were really only 7 round and if I wanted 8 I would have to chamber a round and then put 7 in the mag. I had no interest in doing that so I just run 7.

It did have problems feeding occasionally with some ammo but I now reload to exact specs and I no longer have that problem.

The gun wasn't and out of the box success for me but after the small and easy mods, I now consider it my go to gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171208_201429.jpg (165.3 KB, 13 views)
Old June 17, 2018, 07:07 PM   #7
Bimus

Ultra Carry II 45 acp my wife and I each have one no problems they are rugged go to guns. Extra magazines and ammo in vehicles .

I don't think there are any Plastic parts
No problems with magazines Kimber Wilson Chip Mc Cormick or Pachmayr.
Old June 17, 2018, 07:24 PM   #8
CalmerThanYou

I have a Master Carry Pro in 45 ACP. Feeding is a bit finicky, as stated one less round in the magazine helps.
I seldom use the built-in C.T. laser as the sights are good, I prefer them.

Certainly not my go to gun, but I am glad I own it.
Old June 18, 2018, 06:01 AM   #9
MTT TL

My only complaint is about the 1911 itself which is quite heavy and low capacity. I still enjoy shooting them but not so much carrying on a daily basis. The wife agrees and she swapped her CDP II for a micro for daily carry and the CDP II is now her nightstand gun.

I've owned three different brands of 1911s but the Kimbers are the only ones we still own. There are better 1911's out there but at that price point they are as good as I can find.

Last edited by MTT TL; June 18, 2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old June 18, 2018, 07:08 AM   #10
jr24

I have an ultra carry II and a Warrior, used to have a Pro Carry 2.

All of mine have been accurate and reliable with good triggers.

Cons are the Kimpro finish wears just from looking at it (not really an issue for me as I don't care about finish wear) and the magazine's that came with the Warrior and Pro Carry II were garbage and wouldn't run right.

I pretty much replace any 1911 mags with Wilson or CMC by default but they would have been frustrating to someone who didnt already have a pile of reliable 1911 mags on hand.
Old June 18, 2018, 09:56 AM   #11
Bottom Gun

I’ve owned a dozen or more various Kimber 1911s. Each has been an excellent pistol. I still have several in .45 and 9MM including one with the dreaded external extractor. I’ve never had an issue with a Kimber. In my opinion, they are some of the best values in 1911s.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.