The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 10, 2015, 02:46 PM   #1
CC268

Best handgun safe for night stand?

Hey guys,

I would like to get a nice quick access safe for my handgun (probably will be going with a Glock 19). I want something that I can set on my night stand and something that I can access and open very quickly. I know GunVault makes some great stuff for quick access.

What are your recommendations?

Thanks!
Old October 10, 2015, 08:11 PM   #2
jad0110

Out of 3 Gunvault safes between myself and my parents, only 1 still works. On the other 2 the quick access buttons either work only 25% of the time or not at all.

My recommendation would be something with the mechanical Simplex lock, like a V-Line or Fort Knox, which I own. The Fort Knox is not cheap, but it is very well made and solid.

Do some googling and you'll find videos of 5 year old kids opening most of these safes in mere seconds; the Fort Knox is in a whole other league.
Old October 12, 2015, 05:29 PM   #3
lockedcj7

I use a Brinks lockbox with a programable 4 digit code and keyed backup. I got it in the office supply section of Wally World. It has never failed except when the batteries are dead and it will hold several handguns.
Old October 12, 2015, 10:26 PM   #4
Wishoot

I have a V-Line safe next to my bed with a G19 stowed inside. Both the safe and the gun are exceptionally reliable.
Old October 13, 2015, 07:39 AM   #5
FAS1

One with a mechanical push button lock for its speed, reliability, and durability.

Old October 13, 2015, 08:55 PM   #6
Auto5

+1 on the Brinks lockbox.
Old October 13, 2015, 11:12 PM   #7
GyMac

I've got a Cannon gun safe with Simplex lock that I've been using since 1999. Holds 2 handguns. Works great.
Old October 16, 2015, 10:49 PM   #8
Sulaco

I have a GunVault Minivault and it works great for me. I make sure and change out the battery every so often but I haven't had any problems getting it open. If I do have trouble with it, I'll stop using it. So far so good though and can't beat what I paid for it (closeout $20!).
Old October 16, 2015, 10:55 PM   #9
tomrkba

deleted due to lack of reading comprehension
Old October 18, 2015, 12:10 PM   #10
Shoot

Gunvault Speedvault for me. It mounts on the side of your nightstand, and as a result is largely hidden and definitely easy to access. The best feature for my purposes is that it takes up zero space on the nightstand top or in the drawers... I don't have enough space as it is, and adding a gun safe to the clutter would make things even worse, including accessing the gun. I keep it open at night so I don't have to futz with opening it under duress.
Old October 21, 2015, 09:13 AM   #11
Stevie-Ray

My GunVault is probably over ten years old, and I've never had an ounce of trouble with it. May have changed batteries once in that time.
Old October 23, 2015, 09:05 PM   #12
SARuger

I have Speedvaults mounted to studs in the wall on both sides of the bed and a wall mount shotgun vault.

We open them all up when we go to bed, close them in the morning.

The Speedvaults are LED lighted and work flawlessly.
Old October 26, 2015, 11:20 PM   #13
05kas05

I have been looking at this one from American security but have not picked it up yet. All in all it looks like a great safe it's got thicker metal than most of the others I have looked at, it also has four mounting holes on top or bottom so you can bolt it down.
Still want to do a little more looking before I decide for sure so I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (9.9 KB, 66 views)