The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 15, 2018, 02:20 PM   #1
Wendyj

Tikka T3x Lite 6.5

Everome on here that knows me knows I’m a Tikka nut. Got a few in several calibers and a CTR in a 6.5. Picked up a Tikka light in 6.5 today. Hoping to get it zeroed in and maybe finish deer season with it and park the 7-08 for a few weeks. Really wanted it to take some lighter bullets without a lot of weight and take out a bunch of coyotes throughout the spring and summer. Trail cam has more pictures and videos of coyote than deer. Thinking a 120 grain Barnes or Nosler Ballistic tip for it. All my other guns are capable but it sure looked and felt a lot lighter than the heavy barrel Varmint rifles I’ve got. Just a Tikka nut I guess. Was great finding out with the Hornady comparator that the shoulders and oal of my ctr are perfect for the t3 light. I can reload for both the same depending on powder charges and a little testing.
Old December 15, 2018, 03:59 PM   #2
czgunner

My lefty 6.5x55 shoots the 140’s great. I haven’t shot any thing lighter.
Old December 15, 2018, 04:02 PM   #3
NHSHOOTER

Congrats on the new Tikka, I too own a T3 lite in 223..sweet little rifle!!!!
Old December 15, 2018, 04:52 PM   #4
jmr40

I wouldn't buy spendy ammo for coyote. The Hornady American Whitetail ammo is dirt cheap and shoots great in all the rifles I've tried it in. They make a load shooting 129 gr Interlocks. That should do for deer or coyote. Of course the 143 ELD-X is a proven load too.

If you were planning on elk hunting with it the Barnes bullets would be in the conversation.

Winston Churchill
Old December 15, 2018, 05:12 PM   #5
Wendyj

I don’t even buy factory ammo. I load all my own. I did get to zero it in for the last few hours. I used the 143 eldx and Nosler match 140s. All were around 1/2 inch or better. I am more than happy with it. I sure wish Hornady hadn’t stopped the dependable old Amax bullet. I shot thousands of them out of the 308 and 260. The Eldx does good but my Tikkas like a jump to the lands to get best accuracy. I could squeeze the Amax out a little father. Difference in Ogive I’m guessing. For elk hunting I would stick with trusty old 7 mm mag and the 160 grain interlock. It’s always done me well and bucks the wind really good.
Old December 15, 2018, 11:16 PM   #6
603Country

For coyotes, I shoot the 100 gr Nosler BT. For deer I use the 120’s. Very accurate and very effective. Behind the 100’s are IMR 4064, and R17 is behind the 120’s.
Old December 18, 2018, 08:29 PM   #7
Whistlebritches

Wendy I have a Tikka question.I have been deciding between a Tikka t3x and a Browning X-bolt in 308.I just learned Tikka makes only one size action.You said you have a 7-08,how do you like shooting a short action caliber out of a long action rifle.This has me a little concerned.........one of the many benefits of a short action round is the reduced bolt travel between shots.Any info would be appreciated.
Old December 19, 2018, 04:29 AM   #8
NHSHOOTER

Whistlebritches, I have both a tikka t3 in (223) and a xbolt in 7-08 and I will have to say for a fast second shot I would go with the x bolt. The x bolt is not only a real short action it also has a 60 degree bolt lift that facilitates a much faster cycle and it is smooth. The accuracy between the 2 is about equal. The Tikka trigger is nicer than the x bolt but I cured that little issue by changing the xbolt trigger to a timney..Any other questions, feel free to ask.
Old December 19, 2018, 06:41 PM   #9
DPI7800

Whistlebritches, yes all Tikka’s are long action rifles, however they have different bolt stops. SA cartridges have the SA bolt stop which limits travel to that of a traditional SA length.

As a hand loader I like this feature. I recently changed out the bolt stop in my T3 tactical to a LA stop and grabbed a LA mag for it so I could play around with loading some heavy VLD bullets further out that other wise could not be done in the SA mag and would require single round feeding.
Old December 21, 2018, 07:53 PM   #10
Wendyj

I’ve had a few A bolts and one X bolt. I don’t have them anymore. Tikka stock will outshoot them all day long. But I’m a Tikka nut. The longer throw has never been an issue so far. Bolt is slick as butter so fast and easy to cycle. Not bashing Browning’s but I’ve had no success with any I’ve owned other than an older A Bolt in a 270. Resale is probably better on the Browning but I’ve lost no money trading Tikkas either. I got the 6.5 to hunt with in the lite rifle but do have the CTR in a 6.5 and a 260. The light is just as accurate if you cool after every 3 shots.
Old December 22, 2018, 07:55 PM   #11
std7mag

I'm not sure on weight for 6.5mm bullets, guessing in the 120gr area.

As for the bullet itself, i've found the Sierra BlitzKing to perform rather well on coyotes.
I shoot them quite a bit at distance, (out to 600 yards) out of my 250 Savage and 257 Roberts.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old December 23, 2018, 01:09 AM   #12
Wendyj

I’m using 140s and 130 accubonds for deer. Going to order some sample packs of 120s and 100s and see how they shoot before buying any bulk to reload.
Old December 23, 2018, 08:13 AM   #13
std7mag

Wise idea..

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old December 24, 2018, 07:13 AM   #14
SCgman

I have a t3 lite stainless 3006 I hunt with a good bit, love it. Have begun noticing a few scratches on the factory stock. I use it woods hunting with a gun rope at the stand....is this common? My stock
is getting some character.
Old December 24, 2018, 08:58 AM   #15
Wendyj

I’ve never had any issues with my stocks. In the stand I use a hardened snap from a tractor supply and attach it to the sling to pull it up. Actually I pull all mine up that way. The Tikka Hunter in 7 mag is wood and I keep it soaked and cleaned with ballistol. Darkens the wood just a little but I think it looks better. Don’t use a scissor snap. Don’t ask how I know that.
Old December 24, 2018, 11:46 PM   #16
Chaparral

My Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 shoots Varget 34.5 gr – 3.020 COAL – Berger VLD Target 140 gr