The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 11, 2018, 01:05 AM   #1
JDBerg

NJ: 'High Capacity' Magazine Possession a 4th Degree Felony Tomorrow

..And where do you all think I’m spending the holidays....

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...g-tuesday/amp/

When I say the oppressed need to fight the oppressors, this is a good example.

What is ironic (or hypocritical) about this is that the federal court that decided this in a 2–1 decision, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit is located at the James A. Byrne United States Courthouse, in the Center City section of Philadelphia. It is located at 601 Market Street between N. 6th and N. 7th Streets, literally next door to Independence Mall. The Mall includes Independence Hall, where the Declaration of Independance (from “British” tyranny) and the original unamended Constitution was created & signed. The Liberty Bell and (get ready) the U.S. Constitution Center are also located right there!

The case is Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs v. Attorney General New Jersey, No. 18-3170, in the United States Appeals Court for the Third Circuit. The NRA supported the plaintiff’s case against the magazine ban. And the next steps for plaintiff’s attorneys Chuck Cooper and David Thompson are to request an en banc hearing from the Third Circuit, with all 14 active Third Circuit judges hearing the case instead of just 3. Thereafter, an appeal would have to go to the Supreme Court of the United States.

Last edited by JDBerg; December 11, 2018 at 05:34 AM.
Old December 11, 2018, 03:00 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Felony conviction for owning a spring loaded box above the approved size!

Welcome to New Jersey!
And NY, MA, CA, and several other states.
Old December 11, 2018, 03:48 PM   #3
rickyrick

Quote:
When I say the oppressed need to fight the oppressors, this is a good example.
I wouldn’t call it oppression, it’s simply what we’ve let happen.
Our system evolves according to what the people want. We are now a society that limits certain firearm features and moving to eventually end firearm ownership. Will take a while for sure, but the time to prevent firearm restrictions has long since passed.
Some are still in the denial phase, but most of us just accept what’s happening.
If we ever had the ability to stop these bans, its time was before the bans were enacted.
Old December 11, 2018, 06:51 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick
I wouldn’t call it oppression, it’s simply what we’ve let happen.
Our system evolves according to what the people want. We are now a society that limits certain firearm features and moving to eventually end firearm ownership. Will take a while for sure, but the time to prevent firearm restrictions has long since passed.
Some are still in the denial phase, but most of us just accept what’s happening.
If we ever had the ability to stop these bans, its time was before the bans were enacted.
I both agree and disagree.

Certainly, the current status quo is what we have allowed our elected representatives to impose on us. But I think it's counterproductive to shrivel up and declare that it's "too late" to stop it, so we have to just hunker down and live with whatever scraps our elected lords and masters allow us to retain (for now). These laws are not ALL insurmountable.

Case in point: A few years ago I became aware that my town had a local ordinance that prohibited the possession of a loaded firearm on any town-owned property. No exceptions, so when we started looking at it, it quickly became evident that (a) every police officer in town routinely violated the law on a daily basis, and (b) any person driving on a town road (as opposed to the few state highways that run through town) carrying a firearm pursuant to a state-issued permit was in violation. In fact, my mailbox is located outside of my property line, within the edge of the public street right-of-way. If I walked to my mailbox with a gun on my hip, I was breaking the law.

After unsuccessfully attempting on a personal level to get the town fathers to revise the law, I engaged an attorney who specializes in firearms law. She has contacts within the NRA, and she was able to obtain a grant from the NRA to help fund my effort to get the ordinance repealed. In the end, repeal didn't happen. But the town did revise the ordinance, so we were able to regain considerable ground. I no longer have to unload when I reach the end of my driveway, and unsuspecting travelers from other towns are no longer breaking the law when they drive through my town's streets with loaded guns on their hips or in their purses.

In my case, the attorney (after consultation with the NRA) didn't agree with the way I would have approached the case. We did have to threaten to sue, but not under the legal theory I wanted to use. The problem was (as she explained it), that my theory would have stood a better than 50% chance of losing, because most of the judges in this state are anti-gun liberals. And what she (and the NRA) did NOT want was to forward a case that might lead to another anti-gun precedent.

So we used a different approach. In the end, we didn't have to file the suit -- but the town knew that the suit had been drawn up and that we were prepared to file it if we didn't get some relief. We didn't get everything I hoped for (no total repeal), but I'd say we regained about 75%. IMHO, we have to just keep chipping away at it. "The longest journey begins with a single step."

And, for those who are negative toward the NRA, my little local win would not have happened without the NRA's assistance. Just that little effort cost thousands of dollars, and I could not have funded it all on my own. The NRA grant made it possible. There are many such grants being given out all over the country, and most of them (like mine) are small enough that they don't even get published in the NRA publications. But they are out there, working behind the scenes. I could not have achieved even my partial victory without the NRA.
Old December 15, 2018, 04:50 PM   #5
JDBerg

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/12/new...#axzz5ZmJ9jMmX

Good Article Jersey gun owners who didn’t vote away their 2A need to fight this tyranny!
Old December 15, 2018, 07:37 PM   #6
RC20

Tyranny has a thousand methods and means.

At this point NJ has the right to try to impose that penalty.

Citizens have a right to oppose it.

In the meantime, other rights are sacrificed to things such as mandatory arbitration that the same corporations pick.

We can't sue for crappy software that costs us, because its been legalized we don't own it, we are a licensee.

The Police simply have to label a case a drug case and they can seize your car, your money, your guns and your home.

In recent news a hunting violaiton copped a 100k fine, loss of rifle (have to look up equipment used but that to is subject to forfeiture (such a lovely word). Fully justified in this case.

Recently we had a drunken teen age person back over a citizen on a bike. Her sentence was nothing. I know what the consequences of a negligent death are.

The authorities let a man go who had kidnapped a woman, I won't list what he did but it was disgusting (and he choked her into unconsciousness) . He got off with a slap on the wrist.

I don't see Tyranny in NJ case, I see a process in action that may or may not succeed.

Yemen is a case of Tyranny, that is truly a horror.
Old December 18, 2018, 05:07 AM   #7
publius42

Ammoland is filing a Freedom of Information Act request to learn how many magazines have been turned in as a result of the ban.

The fact that this is a big secret and not a number being trumpeted by the Governor is kinda encouraging. At least, for those of us who are not now felons in possession of scary boxes with springs.
Old December 18, 2018, 09:39 AM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I'm sure all the "high" capacity magazines were properly taken across the river for storage in Pennsylvania on Sunday ...
Old December 18, 2018, 11:43 AM   #9
raimius

I wonder how many people quickly bought 458 socom uppers...9 round capacity per stanag AR magazine, from what I hear...
Old December 18, 2018, 05:37 PM   #10
thallub

IMO: It is unlikely that police in New Jersey will start a crusade to confiscate "high capacity" magazines. It's more likely that folks arrested for dope possession, domestic assault, DUI, etc. who are in possession of "high capacity" magazines will be charged with felony possession of same. It's a great add on charge for prosecutors.

BTW: Poll after poll has shown that New Jersey residents want stricter gun control.
Old December 18, 2018, 06:04 PM   #11
zxcvbob

They forgot to carve out an exemption for off-duty and retired law enforcement. I'm not sure about when they are on-duty. If there are any honorable legislators and prosecutors in NJ (doubtful, but it's possible) they will block any attempt to do so, and will prosecute any cops that break the law.

The best way to get rid of a bad law is to strictly enforce it (I've heard that attributed to Abe Lincoln)
Old February 16, 2019, 12:14 AM   #12
MrBot

BUNK! rickyrick! yee ol' out o' touch armchair philosopher. Life's a battle from beginning to end. Always has been--always will be. Fighting for our 2A rights is no different than fighting for any other right. No one should listen to you. Half these DEMONcrat voters have no idea what they're voting for nor against--they just know someone picked 'em up by the busload to go check anyone on the ballot with a D in front of his/her name. They don't know enough to know who/what they're voting on. We've more gun rights today than ever. ..just gotta keep the march for our rights going. Republican president. Republican Senate. Pro-2A advantage on the Supreme Court. The gun grabbers @ this pt can slow us down, but I don't see them winning in the end.
Old February 16, 2019, 06:25 AM   #13
Spats McGee
Staff

The topic is NJ's "High Capacity" Magazine prohibition, not "General US Politics." I've done some thread cleanup, but let's get back on topic, please.
Old February 16, 2019, 01:46 PM   #14
MrBot

Ok, Spats McGee. But a lot of that prior conversation tended to be a bit off-topic or at least moderately so. rickyrick was saying things that just were not true & acknowledged he was not knowledgeable. Hopefully he's been enlightened. ..would make a GREAT Original Post somewhere. I'll check out the Forum & see if I can get something going in another section. It's definitely gonna be a BIG TOPIC going forward & we who enjoy our Constitutional freedoms must make it a part of the dialogue.
Old February 17, 2019, 06:42 AM   #15
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBot View Post
Ok, Spats McGee. But a lot of that prior conversation tended to be a bit off-topic or at least moderately so. . . . .
Yes, and that's why I posted the warning. I'd let the thread drift go on long enough.