The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 17, 2017, 12:40 PM   #26
Mike Irwin
Staff

"As late as the Spanish American War, many state militia units were still armed with the Trapdoor. They gave a rather poor showing against the Spanish armed with Mauser bolt actions, and even our most modern rifle, the Krag, came off second best, which is why we developed and adopted the 1903 Springfield."

State Guard units in some states were still armed, at least partially, with Trapdoor Springfields into the 1930s, and Trapdoors were issued to troops guarding some domestic facilities into the 1940s.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 18, 2017, 12:08 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Trapdoors were issued to troops guarding some domestic facilities into the 1940s.
There are times when having a rifle, ANY rifle (that still works) is better than not having one...

I look at the pictures of the British Home Guard, waiting for the Nazi invasion, drilling with broomsticks and pitchforks, because that's ALL THEY HAD....

They would have been very pleased to have had Trapdoors and some ammo at that time, I'm thinking...Something that would give them at least ONE shot, anyway...
Old February 18, 2017, 09:10 PM   #28
Tinbucket

Likelyhood of a trapdoor used by Indians

A lot of them were I supposed.
Uncle had a double barrelflintlock passed down from GGGGfather Cherokee appx 1790s. He decorated it with tacks and paint in red blue and yellow, in Cheverons from buttstock forward. I think he burned it because he though the Indians were the devil never thinking he was part Indian.
It was converted to percussion cap sometime in it's life.
Old March 10, 2017, 03:50 PM   #29
SIGSHR

Given the difficulties of resupply and transport the Army had in the Indian Wars, I don't concerns about "wasting" ammunition were unrealistic. Of course inadequate marksmanship training doesn't help. IMHO the 45-70 compared favorably to contemporary military rifles such as the Dreyse, the Chassepot, the Snider-Enfield, the Martini. The Army had tight budgets after the Civil War, ceilings on manpower, the Trapdoor was a compromise-and a very good one IMHO.
In Cuba we had the disadvantages that the Spaniards were well dug in, on high ground, knew the ranges etc. A Rough Rider told the 71st New York as the moved up in support "You can't see 'em."
Old March 11, 2017, 02:05 PM   #30
James K
Member In Memoriam

There was another factor in continuing use of the .30-'06 rather than going to the .276 Pedersen, and that was that the .30 had to be kept for MG use, where anti-aircraft and anti-vehicle capability was needed that the .276 could not supply. IMHO, had the US adopted the .276, and re-equipped its entire army, with .276 caliber rifles and MG's, WWII would have taught us a harsh lesson.

Jim
Old March 18, 2017, 03:33 PM   #31
Buzzard Bait

it was

WW2 was a harsh lesson