The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 24, 2015, 09:14 PM   #1
Loyalist84

Switching Mauser trigger guards?

So I went and purchased myself a Brno/CZ post-war 98k with the winter trigger guard (got luck with a numbers matching gun for very decent pricing, but the front sight hood is gone and someone bubba'd the stock), and I'm intending to do a custom build on it in either .35 Whelen or leaving it in 8x57 and getting some handloads done.

However my first order of business is to replace the ugly-looking winter trigger guard on the thing. I hunt moose and wolves in Northern Ontario and even with gloves on it's too big.

Are the surplus Mauser 98k trigger guard assemblies interchangeable? Or do I have to have a smith cut the guard off and weld a replacement on? I'm a university student so buying a replacement bottom metal from Midway or similar isn't really an option at my price point. Any suggestions?
Old November 24, 2015, 09:42 PM   #2
gyvel

In order to assure your replacement guard is going to fit, you must measure the distance between the holes, and in addition, it should be the same caliber as the one you replace.

As far as Midway is concerned, I didn't' know they were in the surplus parts business.

Plenty of those guard assemblies available on eBay, Gunbroker, Sarco, Numrich, and probably buckets of them at gun shows.

Regarding the gunsmith comment it would probably cost you more for the labor than what you could buy a replacement.

In fact, when you find another one, I'll buy your winter guard for a reasonable price; I have a Czech gun that needs one.
SIFE
Old November 25, 2015, 10:55 AM   #3
mapsjanhere

There's usually three different sizes of Mauser actions, and corresponding guards: small ring, yugo, and large ring. Yours should be the standard large ring version. Starting around $30 at Numrich
Old November 25, 2015, 02:28 PM   #4
Hawg

Quote:
As far as Midway is concerned, I didn't' know they were in the surplus parts business.
Not surplus but they do sell a lot of aftermarket parts including trigger guards.
Old November 26, 2015, 02:21 AM   #5
gyvel

Quote:
There's usually three different sizes of Mauser actions, and corresponding guards: small ring, yugo, and large ring. Yours should be the standard large ring version. Starting around $30 at Numrich
Like I said, measure the distance between holes. I have a Czech 98 similar to yours, and I have been looking for a stamped winter trigger guard to complete it. The hole spacing was a bit off, and I had a heck of a time finding a milled guard that would fit it, even though it's not correct.
SIFE