The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 10, 2022, 08:28 PM   #26
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
Sorry buddy, can't remember what I ate for breakfast these days. Thank you.
I can't remember if I even ate breakfast. Don't feel bad.
Old November 10, 2022, 08:51 PM   #27
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
I can't remember if I even ate breakfast. Don't feel bad.
Ain't that the truth!
Old November 10, 2022, 08:53 PM   #28
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
They arent Partitions, they're 150 grain Accubond Long Range.
And you can hardly find those now. Very much appreciated.
Old November 10, 2022, 09:34 PM   #29
taylorce1

All .270 stuff is hard to find, bullet makers are having a hard time just keeping up with the real popular stuff. While the .270 is still popular most people are happy with 130 grain bullets.
Old November 10, 2022, 10:55 PM   #30
USAF Ret

Quote:
All .270 stuff is hard to find, bullet makers are having a hard time just keeping up with the real popular stuff. While the .270 is still popular most people are happy with 130 grain bullets.
It is. Especially premium bullets.
Old November 11, 2022, 07:05 AM   #31
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
It is. Especially premium bullets.
With the exception of Nosler, which has become non-existent, I have not had trouble finding .270 Berger, Hornady, Sierra, Speer, Swift, or Norma. Have not seen Barnes since the acquisition.
Old November 11, 2022, 08:09 AM   #32
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
With the exception of Nosler, which has become non-existent, I have not had trouble finding .270 Berger, Hornady, Sierra, Speer, Swift, or Norma. Have not seen Barnes since the acquisition.
This!

I can say, I have been able to find 6.5 in Nosler, but 308 and especially 27- are hard to find/
Old November 11, 2022, 12:17 PM   #33
stagpanther

Federal's 270 bullets are pretty good and I bought quite a few not long ago.

Last edited by stagpanther; November 11, 2022 at 02:16 PM.
Old November 11, 2022, 03:12 PM   #34
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Federal's 270 bullets are pretty good and I bought quite a few not long ago.
Which ones? Thanks.
Old November 11, 2022, 06:32 PM   #35
Paul B.

I don't use a .270 all that often but the one thing I can say is The .270 is one of the easiest rifle/cartridge to find an accurate load.

I'm not a fan of 130 gr. bullets because I think they tear up too much eating meat. A bullet that has worked for me has been the Sierra 150 gr. Game king. I've used them on big Nevada and Arizona Mule deer with great success. Last animal I shot with that bullet in the .270 was an antelope back in 2009. Spent the time since then on mainly elk with the .35 Whelen. However, one of my hunting partners prefers the .270 for almost everything. I've seen what he can do with his .270 and the 150 gr. Game King. I've personally seen him take elk on three different hunts with that rifle and load. The Game King flat out works for him.

I can run that bullet or the 150 gr. Nosler over a charge of the long gone Winchester WMR at just very slightly under 2900 FPS and both loads will do about .75" on average. Point of impact horizontally is about even but one shoots slightly higher. I don't remember which. That's the bad news. The good news is I can switch them back and forth and the groups will be about 1.25", that's six shots, three with each bullet on the same target.
Paul B.
Old November 11, 2022, 07:52 PM   #36
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B. View Post
I don't use a .270 all that often but the one thing I can say is The .270 is one of the easiest rifle/cartridge to find an accurate load.

I'm not a fan of 130 gr. bullets because I think they tear up too much eating meat. A bullet that has worked for me has been the Sierra 150 gr. Game king. I've used them on big Nevada and Arizona Mule deer with great success. Last animal I shot with that bullet in the .270 was an antelope back in 2009. Spent the time since then on mainly elk with the .35 Whelen. However, one of my hunting partners prefers the .270 for almost everything. I've seen what he can do with his .270 and the 150 gr. Game King. I've personally seen him take elk on three different hunts with that rifle and load. The Game King flat out works for him.

I can run that bullet or the 150 gr. Nosler over a charge of the long gone Winchester WMR at just very slightly under 2900 FPS and both loads will do about .75" on average. Point of impact horizontally is about even but one shoots slightly higher. I don't remember which. That's the bad news. The good news is I can switch them back and forth and the groups will be about 1.25", that's six shots, three with each bullet on the same target.
Paul B.
Thank you for your comments, sir. My first reloading (starting tomorrow with powder and bullet seating) is the 130 gr TGK for 6.5 CR. That will be my deer medicine here in NC if I can make it out a few times this year.
Old November 12, 2022, 05:57 AM   #37
GeauxTide

Hornady CX are available in 130 weight at Midway.
Old November 12, 2022, 07:04 AM   #38
stagpanther

Quote:
Which ones? Thanks.
I think they make 130 and 140 grs.--I'm overseas at the moment so can't check my stash, but I have used them in both loaded ammo and handloads and have been quite impressed with their consistency, they are very well made from what I can tell. I haven't used them hunting but wouldn't hesitate to.
Old November 12, 2022, 02:02 PM   #39
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTide
Hornady CX are available in 130 weight at Midway.
They also have CX blems, but they are actually 20 cents more a bullet!
Old November 12, 2022, 02:11 PM   #40
USAF Ret

Quote:
They also have CX blems, but they are actually 20 cents more a bullet!
That's ridiculous. $.86 per bullet.
Old November 12, 2022, 02:12 PM   #41
USAF Ret

Quote:
I think they make 130 and 140 grs.--I'm overseas at the moment so can't check my stash, but I have used them in both loaded ammo and handloads and have been quite impressed with their consistency, they are very well made from what I can tell. I haven't used them hunting but wouldn't hesitate to.
Are you serving on or vacation?
Old November 12, 2022, 04:32 PM   #42
stagpanther

Quote:
Are you serving on or vacation?
Not in any service; combination business/vacay. Though I see you are a vet--thanks for your service.

I use the federal bullets in my 270 WSM--which unfortunately was not designed with heavier bullets in mind (and slower twist)--and which is why the 6.8 western came along. If I had a choice between 270 win, 270 WSM and the 6.8 western--i'd get the western.

Last edited by stagpanther; November 12, 2022 at 04:41 PM.
Old November 12, 2022, 09:39 PM   #43
GeauxTide

I used to think the same thing until I hit a 9pt in the brisket at 127 yards with a 154 Interbond from my 280. It destroyed the heart and the bottom of both lungs, breaking the left front leg on the way out. The Interbonds are rarely available, so I've gone to the GMX/CX. They are as accurate as the IB, so will be going to them.
Old November 12, 2022, 10:00 PM   #44
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
I used to think the same thing until I hit a 9pt in the brisket at 127 yards with a 154 Interbond from my 280. It destroyed the heart and the bottom of both lungs, breaking the left front leg on the way out. The Interbonds are rarely available, so I've gone to the GMX/CX. They are as accurate as the IB, so will be going to them.
What did you used to think? I am unclear to your reference.
I have had plenty of unbounded cup and core bullets smash shoulder blades and exit.
Old November 12, 2022, 11:21 PM   #45
USAF Ret

Quote:
Not in any service; combination business/vacay. Though I see you are a vet--thanks for your service.

I use the federal bullets in my 270 WSM--which unfortunately was not designed with heavier bullets in mind (and slower twist)--and which is why the 6.8 western came along. If I had a choice between 270 win, 270 WSM and the 6.8 western--i'd get the western.
The 6.8 has peaked my interest, but like all new cartridges, need to see what direction it is going.
Old November 12, 2022, 11:24 PM   #46
USAF Ret

Well, my first loads I have ever done are getting tested tomorrow. Not my 270, but the 6.5 Creedmoor. Shooting out of my Ruger American to get comfortable, before I start using my loads in my more expensive hunting rifles.
Old November 13, 2022, 12:26 AM   #47
stagpanther

Quote:
Well, my first loads I have ever done are getting tested tomorrow. Not my 270, but the 6.5 Creedmoor. Shooting out of my Ruger American to get comfortable, before I start using my loads in my more expensive hunting rifles.
Reloading is not hard to do--but does demand you pay attention to the basics and not let your guard down--I know this from personal experience and a couple of blown-up rifles. I've been doing it for 15 years for dozens of different cartridges but still consider myself a relative novice at it. Thankfully there are true experts are this forum, you'll figure out who they are pretty quickly. In addition to getting the "usual suspects" loading manuals, I highly recommend getting a software tool like quickload and a chrono (I personally favor Labradar). You'll eventually be able to refine your loading technique to finding the best harmonic balances for your particular barrels, the chrono and software like quickload will help not only in developing loads but also as "cross-checks" to verify projections of the load's performance. Don't be afraid to work with the 270 win--it's an uber-classic for a reason and is very flexible in load choices. Creedmore is also a great cartridge capable of fantastic performance, but can also be "finicky" in my experience.
Old November 13, 2022, 12:41 AM   #48
USAF Ret

Quote:
Reloading is not hard to do--but does demand you pay attention to the basics and not let your guard down--I know this from personal experience and a couple of blown-up rifles. I've been doing it for 15 years for dozens of different cartridges but still consider myself a relative novice at it. Thankfully there are true experts are this forum, you'll figure out who they are pretty quickly. In addition to getting the "usual suspects" loading manuals, I highly recommend getting a software tool like quickload and a chrono (I personally favor Labradar). You'll eventually be able to refine your loading technique to finding the best harmonic balances for your particular barrels, the chrono and software like quickload will help not only in developing loads but also as "cross-checks" to verify projections of the load's performance. Don't be afraid to work with the 270 win--it's an uber-classic for a reason and is very flexible in load choices. Creedmore is also a great cartridge capable of fantastic performance, but can also be "finicky" in my experience.
No way could I have gotten to this point without folks on the forum.

Oh, 270 will be my baby for reloading. I have a chance at a disabled veterans elk hunt next year, and I want to roll my own. I just want to use this caliber and rifle to get my process down.

I have a MagnetoSpeed Chrono I will be using tomorrow.
Old November 13, 2022, 07:10 AM   #49
sako2

USAF thanks for your service. When you start with the 270 don't over imr7828 with a 140gn bullet. My old mauser loves it. Shot a deer at a laser measured distance of 275yds. 1 shot the deer went 30yds and dropped.
Old November 13, 2022, 10:47 AM   #50
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako2 View Post
USAF thanks for your service. When you start with the 270 don't over imr7828 with a 140gn bullet. My old mauser loves it. Shot a deer at a laser measured distance of 275yds. 1 shot the deer went 30yds and dropped.
Thank you. I will look for that powder next time I go to the store.