The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 23, 2020, 07:00 AM   #1
jmstr

Nitrided Barrel and undue wear on aluminum frame?

Hello All,

basic question: If I get my pistol barrel Nitrided for durability, will this accelerate the wear on the aluminum frame that it sits in?

This is for a Taurus PT92, but the logic would be the same for a Beretta 92/M9, except that there wouldn't be as much value in the Nitride inside the bore on a Beretta.

I am considering a refinish of the slide and barrel on my PT92 and like the black nitride look, esp with the durability inside the bore.

However, the 'basic question' above came to me and I thought I'd ask.

Please- no snark about the pistol. I know what it is and how it differs from the Beretta- and that is my choice.

I want it to last as long as possible.

My first goal is the inside of the barrel bore. I don't need it everywhere, but I don't think they can do inside barrel only.

So, your thoughts?
Old October 23, 2020, 07:32 AM   #2
TunnelRat

Just out of curiosity, but why the concern for the interior of the bore? Rust, wear, something else?

SIG uses nitrided barrels with aluminum frames. Seems like it can work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 23, 2020, 09:31 AM   #3
Jim Watson

Nitriding doesn't make the steel rougher, it just makes it harder. I can't see an increase in mechanical wear. Where does the Taurus barrel rub against the frame?

Nitriding of one part like a barrel is not as expensive as I thought. An increase in barrel life from 30000 - 50000 up to 80000 - 100000 may be worth it to you.

If you are shooting that much, you should get on a regular schedule of parts replacement. Ernest Langdon changes Beretta locking blocks every 20000 and replaces various springs at 5000 - 10000.

Anecdote Alert: A guy here shot a Taurus 92 most of the time to "not put the wear" on his Beretta, Sigs, Colts, Smiths, etc, etc. On the rare occasion when he did shoot a name brand like a Sig, he used a replacement barrel so as to not "put wear" on the original.
He shot that Taurus a lot, thousands and tens of thousands of rounds, and it was kind of like George Washington's axe; he eventually replaced nearly the whole gun, one part at a time.
Old October 23, 2020, 11:52 AM   #4
Bill DeShivs

The steel is already harder than the aluminum.
No, it won't make it wear any faster.
Old October 23, 2020, 06:52 PM   #5
Death-Ninja

See post #4...
Old October 23, 2020, 08:25 PM   #6
jmstr

Thanks All!

I have the PT99, which is known for having rear sight failures of the adjustable sight- and there are no more available for repair/replacement.

I found a PT92 parts kit, with everything except frame and grips.

However, there was a spot of rust here/there on inside of 1 rail on slide and about a dime size of rust inside the barrel. It was like a drop of water was sitting on the front edge of the inside of the barrel, and it lightly rusted there.

I have killed the rust and cold blued, but I was thinking of nitride for inside the barrel to be sure it never comes back.

The spare slide is blued, so I believe it is the carbon steel, the rust dusting cleaned up nicely, but it could be nicer also.

My thought is that, if I do this, I'll have a reliable setup for the next 30 years or so. Esp considering the infrequency with which I get to the range, and the number of options I have to select from on each trip.

I like the PT99/92 layout more than the Beretta, as I can do cocked and locked, and mine is the old non-decocker version, so it is more like my 1911.

After my first range trip I decided to invest in the parts kit. First time shooting a handgun in 3 months, first time shooting the PT99, and all 10 shots hit the 6x8" [about, give/take inch] metal reactive target at about 15 yards.

With my astigmatism, my focal distance being 4.5' to infinity [all handgun/rifle front sights are blurry], and my hand tremors at times, I was incredibly happy. I was just as good with this as my BHP .40 or 1911, which I am more familiar with.

Thanks for the insights everyone!
Old October 24, 2020, 01:41 AM   #7
Geezerbiker

Is Nitriding worth the cost?

Tony
Old October 24, 2020, 08:46 AM   #8
jmstr

Quote:
Is Nitriding worth the cost?
$40 for the barrel, plus shipping? My local guys charge that for CeraKoting the outside of the barrel only.

If it were closer to $100, I'd just get a Beretta chrome lined barrel.