The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 14, 2019, 01:28 PM   #1
TruthTellers

Ruger SR pistols discontinued.

No longer listed on the Ruger website. That's usually been the telltale sign with Ruger that they're no longer making said gun anymore.

RIP SR series, you were headed in the right direction over the P series, but you had to have so much useless safety nonsense tacked on you. Why, why did they do this to you?

Old January 14, 2019, 02:10 PM   #2
hubris

Bought one for my daughter...her choice. She likes it very much. I do, too. Good shape, size and weight, easy to shoot.
Old January 14, 2019, 02:17 PM   #3
Lexspeed

I miss the days when a new model firearm hit the market and was continuously improved by the manufacturer over decades (i.e. Colt 1911, Browning Hi Power, etc). Geez, now firearm models have a half life similar to the latest iPhones.
Old January 14, 2019, 02:26 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Ruger admitted several years ago that the SR pistols were never meant to stick around for long. They were basically mass-market 'technology demonstrators' and test platforms.
Or, put another way: It was a stepping stone, bridging the gap between the P-series and the American.
Old January 14, 2019, 02:35 PM   #5
Jeff H

I've had mine since they were new on the market 10 years ago or so. Just shot it yesterday. Still as nice of a gun as the day I bought it. Feels much better in the hand and is a more natural pointer than the Glock 17.

The M&Ps weren't out when I bought the SR 9 or I might have opted for that instead, but I don't regret my choice at all.
Old January 14, 2019, 02:49 PM   #6
Fishbed77

Not surprising, seeing how much redundancy there is in Ruger's lineup.

That said, it's a little sad since many aspects of the SR-series are superior to those of the RAP - especially in regards to size/slimness and ergonomics. The SR was a good pistol. Too bad it was always saddled with useless and redundant "safety" features like the mag disconnect, silly LCI design, and tiny thumb safety.

Quote:
Geez, now firearm models have a half life similar to the latest iPhones.
Glock (35+ years) and Walther P99/PPQ (20+ years) say otherwise. Not to mention classic DA/SA pistols like the SIG P220-series, CZ-75, and Beretta 92, all of which still appear to be going strong with new versions introduced over the past few years.

A good design will last if there is a market for it. Unfortunately, the SR pistols, as good as they are, were always saddled with the aforementioned bad design choices. Add to that the fact that Ruger pretty much exclusively markets to the civilian commercial market (where planned obsolescence and new products drive sales), and it was only a matter of time.

Last edited by Fishbed77; January 14, 2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old January 15, 2019, 12:56 AM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

Ruger has drastically reduced its support for discontinued products. Try to get parts--even common parts--for some of the P series pistols and you will likely be disappointed. I have no doubt that we'll see the same type of thing with the models being dropped from the lineup these days.

In addition, Ruger is fairly rapidly adding and dropping autopistols to/from its lineup.

The combination of these two things has soured me on purchasing new Ruger autopistols. I find that very sad. My first gun was a Ruger and I own more Ruger firearms than any other single brand--but I haven't bought a new Ruger autopistol in years...
Old January 15, 2019, 01:27 AM   #8
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
Ruger has drastically reduced its support for discontinued products. Try to get parts--even common parts--for some of the P series pistols and you will likely be disappointed. I have no doubt that we'll see the same type of thing with the models being dropped from the lineup these days.

In addition, Ruger is fairly rapidly adding and dropping autopistols to/from its lineup.

The combination of these two things has soured me on purchasing new Ruger autopistols. I find that very sad. My first gun was a Ruger and I own more Ruger firearms than any other single brand--but I haven't bought a new Ruger autopistol in years...
I've noticed that with Ruger's semi pistols too. They had the LC9, LCP Custom, 9E (cheaper SR9) and dropped them very quick, now they dump the SR series, but compare that to their revolvers, all they seem to do is keep adding to that line.

I own a few Ruger semi pistols, LCP's and the SR22, but I wouldn't bother with any of their larger doublestack models. They don't seem to stay around long. Better options available anyway. For a while I had wanted to grab the SR45 one day when the prices went down, but after some people informed me of the S&W M&P 2 with the threaded barrel and suppressor sights for $400, that is a much better deal and gun than the SR45.
Old January 15, 2019, 10:43 AM   #9
Jim Watson

Too bad. I handled a 9E the other day and thought it superior to the American.
Great trigger for striker fired.
Old January 15, 2019, 01:31 PM   #10
DPris
Member Emeritus

TT,
Think about your comment.

If blue widgets are showing a steady decline in sales, while red widgets are selling very well, how long would you keep blue widgets in production & where would you place your resource emphasis?

Blue widgets: Way down in sales, with market showing a general lack of interest.
Red widgets: Steady in sales, with market indicating room for more red widget variations.

Decision: Simple & easy.
Dump blue widgets & throw more production capability into expanding red widgets.

Economics 101.
Denis
Old January 15, 2019, 01:46 PM   #11
TruthTellers

^ I highly doubt the RAP is in the red widget territory.

Ruger can release and discontinue all the doublestack pistols they want, but there are better alternatives for the money. The 9E was an exception tho because it was such a good pistol for a good price.

The only group that I can see the American selling more units than the SR line is to police, security, guards, etc., but I don't see any evidence or hear anyone saying this.

I think Ruger would have been better off updating the SR design instead of dropping it for the RAP.
Old January 15, 2019, 01:51 PM   #12
DPris
Member Emeritus

I was referring to your comment about dropping certain autos while adding to the revolver line-up.

If side-line autos are not selling, while the revolver market remains strong, guess where Ruger (or any company with half a brain) is going to channel production resources.

And the response I just got back from a buddy at Ruger on the SR line was "Just on vacation."
Denis
Old January 15, 2019, 02:04 PM   #13
krimmie

I’ve owned an SR40 for a few years...really like the gun. Time will tell what kind of support is given in the future, or if I will even need it.
Old January 15, 2019, 03:41 PM   #14
DPris
Member Emeritus

From that Ruger response, I wouldn't worry about factory support quite yet.
Denis
Old January 15, 2019, 05:29 PM   #15
1stmar

I have an sr9, i looked at the security 9 the other day and was very impressed. No need for both. Hammer fired but the trigger was excellent for carry or home defense and
Old January 15, 2019, 06:29 PM   #16
Carl the Floor Walker

Show me what is so impressive about the Security9 over the SR9.

The SR9 is obvious, it is the one with the Steel

Guess which one is the LCP9? Whoops, I mean Security9

Yea, I am just beside myself at the great quality of the LCP9 vs SR9. (Dang it, I meant Security9)

I am betting Ruger will come back with a Newer version of the SR9. Yes, maybe a Ruger American Hybrid. Now that would be cool. I hope I am not giving Ruger more credit than they deserve.
Old January 15, 2019, 06:56 PM   #17
Siggy-06

Carried a SR9C for a while. Was a solid reliable 9mm for sure.
Old January 15, 2019, 08:51 PM   #18
ROCK6

I think it's a bad business decision. The SR series really fills a niche in the market. Just go to any big on-line sights and see how many reviews of the SR9/c there are...pretty popular for the price point.

My wife handled dozens of comparable sized pistols and decided on the SR9c simply because it fit her well and she liked the features and trigger. I'm all about continuing innovation, but when you have a cash-cow in your line up, you continue to keep it there as long as you can. I really doubt this decision is based on sales as most in the industry think they have to continue to come out with a new model to gin up sales...

ROCK6
Old January 15, 2019, 09:21 PM   #19
DPris
Member Emeritus

Did you see the post above saying the SR series is "just on vacation"?
I asked if it was dead, and I gave you the answer.
Denis
Old January 15, 2019, 11:57 PM   #20
ROCK6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris
Denis
Completely overlooked it! That's good to hear. My wife's SR9c has been completely trouble free and she loves training with it...very comfortable outside of CCW (she's looking to trade her older LC9 in for something else...my Kahr CM9 is in the top running).

I just see this line as a very good budget line. I don't know how they'll hold up over time and thousands of rounds, but again, my wife's 9c has close to 2000 rounds through it and a few classes without a hitch.

ROCK6
Old January 16, 2019, 12:40 AM   #21
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post
I was referring to your comment about dropping certain autos while adding to the revolver line-up.

If side-line autos are not selling, while the revolver market remains strong, guess where Ruger (or any company with half a brain) is going to channel production resources.
I was mistaken. I'm not one to disagree that you invest where the market's demand is. I just feel that the SR pistols have proven themselves well for over a decade and the market is still warm to thems and would warm up even more if Ruger kept improving them.
Quote:
And the response I just got back from a buddy at Ruger on the SR line was "Just on vacation."
Denis
Old January 16, 2019, 03:00 AM   #22
300Whspr

I hope that they really are "only on vacation".

My EDC is a Ruger SR40c. Love it. I don't get the hangup over the features... first and foremost it is a tool, not so much a flower to gaze upon... and I do like the appreciate the LCI, for this reason... Familiarity breeds complacency, especially with something that lives on your hip 14 hours a day.. and that red flag reminds me just enough to make sure I don't have a temporary lapse of caution. But, I did disable/remove the magazine safety.
Old January 16, 2019, 03:02 AM   #23
DPris
Member Emeritus

Info from a product manager friend at Ruger.
Reliable man.
Denis
Old January 16, 2019, 05:00 AM   #24
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post
Denis
Yep, I caught it, and that is why I am betting Ruger will come out with a newer version. And that would be exciting. It is rear to ever hear anyone say something against the build quality and shooting ability of the SR.
Old January 16, 2019, 05:14 AM   #25
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm in the "hoping it's only a vacation" crowd. (Thanks, DPris, for the info.) Even though I don't own an SR, it's one of those pistols that just keeps making My List, and I keep thinking I'll pick one up. I like the way they feel in the hand and I think I'd like shooting one.