The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 19, 2013, 06:54 AM   #1
1hogfan83

Being arrested

I was arrested about 6 weeks ago after a traffic accident that was my fault. The cop was convinced that I was drunk or high. I told him that I must have hit my head. He gave me about 5 min to gather my thoughts but i couldn't get my head together. I failed the field sobriety test and was not given a breathalyzer as i requested. He arrested me so he could take me in to use the more accurate breathalyzer. Of course I blew a 0.0. While I was waiting for him to let me go I realized he never read me my rights. What could I have done if this happens again?
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old June 19, 2013, 06:59 AM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Nothing much, now, since you were let go, but they should have taken you to an ER. If they had booked you, then you could have used that in your defense at the time of trial, and anything that was said couldn't be used against you. That is, unless the new ruling on the 5th Amendment will change it somehow.
Old June 19, 2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

I'll still have to digest the new SCOTUS ruling on the A5, but as of 6 weeks ago, and in conjunction with Arkansas law:
1) You're only entitled to Miranda warnings if there's a custodial interrogation. That means that you have to: (a) be in custody; and (b) be interrogated; before you're entitled to receive the Miranda warnings. There are some additional vagaries that go with this.
2) You're not entitled to counsel during the Standard Field Sobriety Test, or the BAC (Datamaster or Intoxilyzer) testing.
3) The Standard Field Sobriety Test is not actually required for either an arrest or a charge of DWI.
4) If you're arrested, the "implied consent" law kicks in, and you have to take a test of the officer's choosing (breath, blood or urine), after which you may request a test of your own choosing, at your own expense.

In short, nothing. Based on the facts as presented, you weren't entitled to Miranda warnings, and none were given.
Old June 19, 2013, 08:21 AM   #4
wogpotter

Demand for a Lawyer to be present & then shut up untill he is brought to you. These are both rights you have, use them.

Don't get into an argument or worse with the officer, thats a seperate issue.

Many, many convictions are caused by the alleged perp saying something that is used against them later.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old June 19, 2013, 09:53 AM   #5
deepcreek

You can file a "internal investigation" so this officer gets reviewed and investigated for his unprofessional and incompetent actions.
Old June 19, 2013, 10:00 AM   #6
Destructo6

What was, "incompetent" or "unprofessional" about the officer's actions?

Sounds to me that he followed due dilligence throughout his investigation and once discovered that DWI had not, in fact, occured, released the individual and took no further action.

What more could he have done? Appears textbook to me.

Keep all of them clean.
Old June 19, 2013, 10:21 AM   #7
stumper1300

He should have taken him to the hospital iff he hAD a head injury.
Old June 19, 2013, 10:22 AM   #8
deepcreek

Quote:
What was, "incompetent" or "unprofessional" about the officer's actions?

Sounds to me that he followed due dilligence throughout his investigation and once discovered that DWI had not, in fact, occured, released the individual and took no further action.
- He didn't advise him of his rights = unprofessional
which would of ruined a court case and is not along with his training = incompetent.

- He could of called a car in that did have a breathalyzer or at least smelled breath.

-The way he just hailed the OP off makes it seem like he has little respect for other members of his community so it would be good to have this on record to show a pattern if it keeps happening and needs to be further investigating.
Old June 19, 2013, 10:31 AM   #9
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcreek
- He didn't advise him of his rights = unprofessional
which would of ruined a court case and is not along with his training = incompetent....
Nope. The circumstances as described did not under the law require the giving of Miranda rights. See post 3.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old June 19, 2013, 10:40 AM   #10
Evan Thomas

Quote:
He should have taken him to the hospital iff he hAD a head injury.
This. From the OP's description, he probably had a concussion. Calling paramedics and getting him to a hospital wouldn't have prevented testing his BA.
Old June 19, 2013, 10:50 AM   #11
csmsss

Presumably the police officer didn't believe the OP sustained a head injury - but police officers are not adequately trained to make such observations.
Old June 19, 2013, 10:56 AM   #12
Evan Thomas

Exactly. If he'd had something like a subdural hematoma and died while in custody, that would have made for a tasty lawsuit -- for his heirs.
Old June 19, 2013, 11:06 AM   #13
Spats McGee
Staff

I will agree that if the OP informed the officer that he'd hit his head (which he said he did), at the very least, the officer should have offered medical assistance. With that said, the question of a lawsuit against the officer is at best an iffy one, on the facts presented.
Old June 19, 2013, 01:16 PM   #14
Glenn Dee

What Frank Ettin said.
Old June 19, 2013, 01:19 PM   #15
Frank Ettin
Staff

Being arrested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Dee View Post
What Frank Ettin said.
In fairness, Spats McGee said it first. Here I'm just riding his coattails.
Old June 19, 2013, 02:35 PM   #16
maestro pistolero

He could've taken him straight to the ER where they could have drawn blood and gotten their sobriety test, while addressing the potential medical concerns. This addresses everything, including potential liability for taking someone in custody who was injured thereby depriving them of medical treatment.
Old June 19, 2013, 02:38 PM   #17
jmr40

If I understand this right, he was not arrested, just detained pending further investigation. Thus the reason for no rights being read. Had he been drinking he would have been arrested and read his rights. Am I correct here.
Old June 19, 2013, 04:20 PM   #18
deepcreek

Quote:
If I understand this right, he was not arrested, just detained pending further investigation. Thus the reason for no rights being read. Had he been drinking he would have been arrested and read his rights. Am I correct here.
Quote:
quote-1hogfan83
Being arrested

I was arrested about 6 weeks ago

He arrested me so he could take me in
He says he was arrested.
Old June 19, 2013, 05:44 PM   #19
csmsss

@deepcreek - sometimes that's actually a very contentious issue. From what he described, I'm not sure I'd call it an arrest per se, though if he was taken to the police station he was certainly in custody. Doesn't sound like he was fingerprinted and/or booked, however, so from a legal perspective he may not have been arrested.
Old June 19, 2013, 05:55 PM   #20
Spats McGee
Staff

What the police could have done is not necessarily the same as what they were legally required to do. Further, Miranda rights do not have to be read on arrest. Never have been. They've only been required when there's a custodial interrogation.
Old June 19, 2013, 06:02 PM   #21
csmsss

And let's be specific about what we're talking about here. A Miranda violation is not a get out of jail free card. Even if the judge/appellate court finds that your 5A rights were violated because you weren't properly Mirandized, it does not mean you necessarily walk away. At the trial level, it simply means that the prosecutor cannot use or refer to any statements you may have made after the moment when you were supposed to have been Mirandized and were not - and the appellate court may, of course, order a new trial and specify that such statements be excluded from presentation in the retrial.

But it's rare that a Miranda violation will inherently result in a prejudicial dismissal (prejudicial dismissal means the case cannot be retried).
Old June 19, 2013, 06:05 PM   #22
csmsss

@Spats - if memory serves, most PD's started doing the early Miranda readings to make it easier to conduct officer training. It can be quite murky indeed for the officer conducting an interview to pick that specific point at which a witness/interviewee becomes a custodial suspect/interrogatee. Much easier to tell them to Mirandize anyone they speak with who they think might be involved with the crime being investigated, methinks.
Old June 19, 2013, 08:18 PM   #23
Hawkeye146

First off he was not arrested, only detained for further investigation. After the investigation found he was not intoxicated he was let go. No questions asked pertaining to the DUI then no Miranda. What the officer SHOULD have done is as soon as he made the determination he was making an investigation he should have read him Miranda, makes trial easy for officer and DA. If the officer asked any questions pertaining to the DUI and did not give Miranda then any statements made would be inadmissible.
Old June 19, 2013, 08:21 PM   #24
Patriot86

Quote:
He could've taken him straight to the ER where they could have drawn blood and gotten their sobriety test, while addressing the potential medical concerns. This addresses everything, including potential liability for taking someone in custody who was injured thereby depriving them of medical treatment.
This

IMO the officer not only put the OP in danger by not calling an ambo and at least giving him the choice of going to the ER but also opened himself and his department up to liability. If the OP had say had a blood clot from the crash and while in detention and he died, then the family could have filed a wrongful death suit and they probably would have gotten a big pay out.

I don't know how they do things where the OP lives but my wife was in a car accident last year, BEFORE the field sobriety test (given to both drivers involved) the EMS people looked at both drivers to make sure there was no evident health issue.

I just find it unconscionable that the OP said he had hit his head and was not given the choice to be taken to the ER.

Beyond that though you can always ask for a lawyer if they put the cuffs on you and wish to take you to another location for whatever reason.
Old June 19, 2013, 09:23 PM   #25
KyJim

One further point on the Miranda warning --- assuming one is required, violation does not mean the charge is dismissed. It means suppression of the statement made in violation or any resulting "fruit of the poisonous tree."

I don't know about Arkansas's implied consent law but, in my state, if you don't consent to the test, your license is automatically suspended and the officer may still cite/arrest you for DUI based on his or her observations. You can take it to trial but then the fact finder is going to assume you refused because you were drunk (real life here, not the "presumed innocent" instruction given to jurors).