The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 13, 2007, 07:02 PM   #1
Starsky

Wilson Combat 47D Mags

Anybody found a place on the net that sales the Wilson Combat 47D mag for 1911's at a decent price? I can get them locally all day for $27-$29 ea but was hoping for a better price as I would like to get 5 or so more of them.
Old August 13, 2007, 10:00 PM   #2
BillCA

Unfortunately, prices are going up on lots of stuff, including stainless steel. MidwayUSA used to run sale specials on Wilson 47D's for $24.99 to $26.99. Their latest price is $32.99 which is painful.

If you find a decent price on 'em, please let us ALL know!
Old August 13, 2007, 10:06 PM   #3
poortrader

check out www.natchezss.com
But you have to pay shipping. If you order enough, the shipping won't really matter.

NRA Life Member
Old August 14, 2007, 05:09 PM   #4
Starsky

Quote:
check out www.natchezss.com

Unfortunately they are Out of Stock there.
Old August 14, 2007, 05:32 PM   #5
IanS

They have the 7 rounders (Wilson 47's) in stock.

Better more stable follower design, stronger thicker spring, and thicker mag body. Try them out.
Old August 14, 2007, 05:54 PM   #6
FS2K

Starsky,

I know your question is about Wilson magazines, and I do have them (but don't know of anywhere selling them for less than what you've been seeing) but have you tried Chip McCormick "Power Mags" yet? They are slightly less expensive than the Wilson's and are awesome 1911 magazines. They are all I buy these days.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Sto...POWER+MAGAZINE

Their "regular" magazines are a couple of dollars less, but these are worth the added money.
Old August 14, 2007, 06:20 PM   #7
Starsky

No I haven't. I have heard of them but never really looked into them, but I will now. Thanks!
Old August 14, 2007, 08:12 PM   #8
Socrates

The regular McCormack mags came with my Kimbers. First thing I replaced, going to Wilsons.
Something about the follower design marring the feed ramp with extended use....

Dr S J.D.
Old August 14, 2007, 09:46 PM   #9
lear jet 45

this mite be of the subgick.... but my kimber has problems on feeding rounds in a fresh mag is put in, and the slid goes fwd...... i am told the Wilson mag will fix the problem...... wot is different about a Wilson mag....
Old August 14, 2007, 10:18 PM   #10
Blue Duck

I had the same problems with my Kimber Compact Custom, and Wilson mags fixed it, or shall I say made the problem go away. The Wilson mag gives up a little control of the shell and lets it jump up quicker which allows it to feed better.

At any rate, for twenty years plus, a very large precentage of IDPA and IPSC competitors have relied on Wilson mags, and he guarantees them, and will replace broken parts, etc.
Old August 15, 2007, 03:23 AM   #11
BillCA

The two big advantages to the Wilson magazines seem to be their close adherence to specs and their solid synthetic follower design.

The split-follower as found on many magazines, including Chip's Power Mags can be tilted forward or pushed forward when the slide comes down on a full magazine. If pushed forward, the lower steel "lip" can protrude and gall an alloy frame right at the feed ramp area. Wilson eliminated this with their synthetic follower and it won't move forward or tilt like the other types.
Old August 21, 2007, 04:48 PM   #12
Starsky

BillCA and others, I finally found some on line at a decent price at Shootersmart. They are $24.53 ea + shipping and their shipping is very reasonable. I just ordered 5 of them and they have like 1300 in stock presently.
Old August 21, 2007, 04:58 PM   #13
RickB

I recommend that anyone shooting a 1911 .45 check out Novaks mags. They are made in Italy by ACT-MAG, and I think they are the best 8-rounders available. And, they cost less than $20 (I paid $16 each). The skirted metal follower can't tip, or get chewed-up like a plastic follower. The extra half-inch that most mags have as just a plastic basepad, is used to slightly increase the length of the tube, and the number of spring coils that will fit inside, so the mag loads easier, and has more constant spring tension from first round to last. The slick nickel-plated finish looks good, and helps the mag absolutely fly out of the magwell when the button is pushed.