The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 20, 2018, 06:16 PM   #1
5pins

Magtech 9mm 147gr JHP Bonded in Clear Ballistics Gel

Test Gun: Sig P229, Beretta Nano.
Barrel length: 3.9, 3 inches.
Ammunition: Megtech 147gr JHP Bonded
Test media: 10% Clear Ballistics Gel.
Distance: 10 feet.
Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
Five shot velocity average: 969, 930 fps
Gel Temperature 80 degrees.

This is a first in a series of "budget" 9mm ammo. With Federal's sharp increase in 50 round boxed HST's numerous people on several forums have been seeking reasonably priced alternatives. In order to be considered budget ammo, It must come in 50 round boxes at a price under $20. With that criteria in mind, I dragged my Visa through Target Sports USA and purchased 11 different loadings. I went with Target Sports only because it had the most 9mm ammo that fit my definition of budget at the time.

After receiving the ammo I fired one round of each type into the bare gel from a Sig P229 in an attempt to decide on how to start. The one round that caught my attention was the Magtech 147gr JHP. The price of this ammo from Target Sports was $16.99.

Five shot average from the Sig P229 was 969fps with a high of 985fps and a low of 966fps. Point of aim at ten yards was fine.

Five shot average from the Beretta Nano was 930fps with a high of 940fps and a low of 914fps. The Nano didn't shoot this round very well at all at ten yards. It's also posable I was having a bad day with the Nano, it's not an easy gun for me to shoot.

From the P229 the first round in the bare gel had a velocity of 992fps and penetrated to 16 inches. Recovered weight was146.3 grains and expanded to .66 inches. Round two hit the gel at 971fps and penetrated to 16.25 inches. Recovered weight was 147.7 grains and it expanded to .61 inches.

The results in the clothing covered gel were mixed. The first rounds velocity was not recorded. It penetrated to 22.5inches with an expansion of .52 inches and a recovered weight of 146..4 grains. Round two had a velocity of 974fps and penetrated to 19 inches. There was no expansion and the bullet tumbled and was recovered base forward. Two pedals broke off the bullet and the recovered weight was 142.9 grains.

Out of the Nano, the first round penetrated to 18 inches with a velocity of 953fps. The recovered weight was 146.5 grains and expanded to .63 inches. Round two's velocity was 950fps and it penetrated to 16 inches. Recovered weight was 146.8 grains and it expanded to .62 inches.

Old December 21, 2018, 10:19 AM   #2
JERRYS.

magtech seems to be trying to move up the ladder from cheap foreign target fodder to something to be taken more serious. except for that one round these look fairly decent.