The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 29, 2018, 07:05 PM   #1
Gator Weiss

Water Removal Black Powder Revolvers

Many use ovens to dry black powder revolvers. Rust forms rapidly after. Question: If the object is to remove water then coat with non-petroleum oil while metal is warm and dry from oven; then would it not work well to simply wipe water off parts coming out of soap water, then place them immediately in a warm to hot oil bath, the residual water on the part would then immediately rise to surface of oil. The part is then instantly dried and oiled. Wipe off excess oil and immediately install. They make a little bucket fryer called the fry-baby and the fry-daddy. See these used in junk shops for 2 or 3 bucks. Non-petroleum oil could be heated to warm and parts immersed in a basket. No oven and no air exposure would ever take place. Water is skimmed off the surface of the oil with a paper towel. Maybe not allow oil to get over heated, but just enough heat to work the job.

Just wondering / just thinking.
Old April 29, 2018, 08:23 PM   #2
rodwhaincamo

It may well work.

I really like using Ballistol as it will mix with the water but allowing it to evaporate leaving just the oil behind. It’s simple and it works well.
Old April 29, 2018, 10:32 PM   #3
mehavey

Wash it off
Wipe it off
Spray it down with WD-40
Wipe that off.
Assemble.
Old April 29, 2018, 10:45 PM   #4
rodwhaincamo

I used to use WD-40 also. But I read how it’s just not a good rust preventative and that after some amount of use it becomes gummy or something. Ballistol was designed specifically for firearms and is good for wood and leather as well.
Old April 29, 2018, 11:12 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

WD 40 does not become gummy, and it's a pretty good rust preventative. Don't believe the crap that you hear. I have used it daily for 45 years.
WD 40 is a wonderful water displacer. Just flood the gun with it, then wipe it dry. You can then use another oil if you feel it's necessary.
Old April 30, 2018, 06:25 AM   #6
mehavey

If you wipe it off, WD-40 does not become gummy (as Bill notes).
What it DOES do -- is totally displace any/all water and suck up against the metal.

As with any firearm thereafter, wipe down w/ Ballistol/BreakFree/WeaponShield or the like for storage.
Old April 30, 2018, 09:06 AM   #7
rodwhaincamo

Maybe the difference for them was not removing afterwards but firing it with it still there, which is what I had been doing. I didn’t notice it myself but then I only shot it a few times before I switched.

As Ballistol will deal with any water I’m happy skipping that.
Old April 30, 2018, 01:25 PM   #8
gwpercle

And of course...the W stands for Water and the D stands for Displacement ...just the ticket for wet firearms...the 40 stands for forty !
Old April 30, 2018, 02:59 PM   #9
rodwhaincamo

The fortieth attempt from what I understand.

To me it makes more sense to reduce the steps and chemicals I’ll need. Why need to wipe it all off to oil it when the oil itself can do the job?
Old April 30, 2018, 03:41 PM   #10
Hawg

Sounds like a royal PITA to me. I also use WD-40 and it doesn't get gummy even if you don't wipe it off. Not even if you spray the insides of a repeater and let it sit for 20 years. It isn't a good long term lube tho.
Old April 30, 2018, 03:53 PM   #11
rodwhaincamo

I’d certainly like to hear from those who say otherwise. I only changed over because several people said the same thing. Granted I like Ballistol and won’t switch back, but I do like to know the truth of the matter. I didn’t notice any issues myself but didn’t use it long to say for sure.
Old April 30, 2018, 03:57 PM   #12
FrontierGander

Warm soapy bath, dry it, denature alcohol to remove all traces of moisture, follow up with your favorite gun oil.

wd40 sucks. I will never trust that garbage again for keeping rust off.
Old April 30, 2018, 04:11 PM   #13
Bill DeShivs

I have used WD 40 as a professional gunsmith, jeweler, knifemaker/restorer, engineer, and musician for a very long time.
I have attempted to make it "gum up," and it won't do it. I use it for rust protection on my extensive gun and knife collections. It works very well. It's also a good light lubricant. I use it on my bass guitar strings!
WD 40 DISPLACES water. Ballistol MIXES with water. There's a big difference!
I said use another oil IF you feel it's necessary-it usually isn't.
If your gun rusts or "gums up" when using WD 40, you're doing something very wrong.
Old April 30, 2018, 07:20 PM   #14
rodwhaincamo

“WD 40 DISPLACES water. Ballistol MIXES with water. There's a big difference!”

I’ll bite. How?
Old April 30, 2018, 07:35 PM   #15
B.L.E.

Quote:
“WD 40 DISPLACES water. Ballistol MIXES with water. There's a big difference!”

I’ll bite. How?
It forms an emulsion with water that looks like milk, in fact milk itself is an emulsion.

Water displacing oils want to wet metals more than water does, so it actually crawls under the water to wet the metal and so lifts the water off the metal.

I have found that when washing engine cylinders with water and detergent, there is always a small amount of flash rusting as the water dries. If you spray those cylinders with WD-40 while they are still wet, that flash rusting won't occur.
I do the same with my guns, I clean out the black powder fouling with water and then spray the WD-40 on while the bore is still wet and then wipe the bore dry.
Then I'll run a patch oiled with R.I.G. rust preventative down the bore. I can put the gun away for years and the bore will be totally rust free.

If you dry the gun before applying the WD-40 following a soap and water scrubbing, you can get a thin layer of flash rusting in the bore before you have a chance to oil it.
Old April 30, 2018, 09:19 PM   #16
rodwhaincamo

“Water displacing oils want to wet metals more than water does, so it actually crawls under the water to wet the metal and so lifts the water off the metal.”

This sounds like the result is the same.

And from what little I believe I understand it is the same except that one is an oil that’s ok for wood and leather, things we often have with our BP arms, and is a fair protectorant designed as such.

I hope I’m not misunderstood in that I don’t think anyone should WD-40 if it’s working for you. If it can be used for decades and work well then I believe it’s worthy. I’ve only used Ballistol for about 6 years so my experience pales in comparison.

Again I’d like to hear from those who claim they’ve had issues as I do like to understand the truth of the matter. Several people have claimed such. Maybe they mixed chemicals or had climate issues or something.

And I’ve read of a few issues from people who tried Ballistol, one getting rust.
Old April 30, 2018, 10:12 PM   #17
Bimus

I heat water on the stove and when through cleaning the gun lay the parts in the sink and pour the hot water over them wait a little bit put the parts on a towel the heat evaporates the water and the parts still hot but dry spray on the WD-40.
Other times when still hunting and end up going back to the truck for camp supply's I run a wet patch through the barrel and spray every thing with WD-40 and wipe it down .
Old April 30, 2018, 10:56 PM   #18
Hellgate

After cleaning I spray the wet cylinder down with 99% isopropyl alcohol (denatured ethanol should work as well) then roll the cylinder in a paper towel and give it a shake. The alcohol evaporates and dries the cylinder which can be oiled. I get a tiny bit of flash rust but it disappears with oiling. I believe that immersing the gun to clean it is a bit of overkill and makes for too much work. I go through a lot of Ballistol/water solvent, Q-Tips, paper towels and patches. I oil the outside of the gun, oil patch the chambers & bore & drip oil into the works after it is cleaned.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old May 1, 2018, 09:46 AM   #19
tranders

Quote:
I really like using Ballistol as it will mix with the water but allowing it to evaporate leaving just the oil behind. It’s simple and it works well.

I also use Ballistol with good results. I mix 4 parts water to 1 part Ballistol.

I think WD40 gets a bad rap from people using it in very cold climates.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:03 AM   #20
Dufus

I get my WD-40 in gallons cans. The first one I bought was something like $4.80.

It has been working for me for almost 52 years and I have not been disappointed.
Old May 1, 2018, 09:20 PM   #21
B.L.E.

You can witness the water displacing properties of WD-40 in action by dipping a metal screen in water and then spraying a light mist of WD-40 on the wet screen. Water will suddenly "rain" off that wet screen.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:15 AM   #22
maillemaker

http://4thla.weebly.com/how-to-clean...r-firearm.html
Old May 2, 2018, 02:41 PM   #23
Bill DeShivs

I could also write a "how to clean your firearm" article.
I WOULD recommend using WD 40. I would also recommend using very hot water. I would also disagree that WD 40 is not a lubricant.
Using compressed air MIGHT get the water out of inaccessible places-and it might not. Soap and water will remove oil from where it touches. A good flush with WD 40 will get oil back in those inaccessible areas.
Old May 2, 2018, 02:50 PM   #24
rodwhaincamo

I’ve asked on another forum (where I read of the horrors of WD-40) for their experiences. Much like here there are some who swear by it claiming to have been using it for years and some who say they’ve spent a lot of time and made money cleaning the gummed up parts from its long term use. So this brings about the question of why. Why does it seem to work excellently for some and create havoc in others? Weather? Other chemicals? Too much?
Old May 2, 2018, 04:07 PM   #25
Hawg

Quote:
Why does it seem to work excellently for some and create havoc in others? Weather? Other chemicals? Too much?
WD-40 is all my dad used for the last 20 or so years of his life and I don't think he fired a shot that entire time. Every so often he'd drench the crap out of them with WD-40 inside and out. I got them when he died and they were very dry but there was no gummy residue, there was no varnish buildup like I've seen claimed elsewhere. There was no rust either.