The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 22, 2016, 02:02 PM   #1
chris in va

Mailing ammo to CA?

Good friend of mine is having to pay $58/50 45 ACP in California, and around $75 for 357.

Is it legal to UPS ORM-D a few boxes to him around the Stockton area? I've done it before to a MD address but CA is a bit different.
Old May 22, 2016, 03:35 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Legalities aside, by the time you pay the UPS fees I doubt you can buy ammo cheap enough to save him any money. I have shipped ammo by UPS -- it ain't cheap.
Old May 22, 2016, 03:55 PM   #3
kilimanjaro

Whatever you do, do not put a couple of boxes in the US Postal system, you will not like what happens to you.

I hate to say this, but from Stockton you can drive to the Nevada state line in about three hours. Your friend should put some gas in his car and go visit State Line Liquor and Ammo Sales.

Good scenery, too.
Old May 22, 2016, 07:08 PM   #4
Mike38

For the cost of 3 or 4 boxes of ammo at that price, he could by a single stage Lee reloader and roll his own ammo.
Old May 22, 2016, 09:03 PM   #5
chris in va

Guys, this isn't helping.

Is it legal to mail ammo to CA?
Old May 22, 2016, 09:45 PM   #6
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
Guys, this isn't helping.

Rather than getting testy with people on this forum, why don't you just expend a little of your energy and go to the US Postal Service website if you really want the exact answer to your question?

If you really want to know if you can MAIL ammunition to California, about 30 seconds on the United States Postal Service website looking at:

Shipping Restrictions

...will get you the following information -

Quote:
Prohibited Domestic Items

Air bags
Ammunition
Explosives
Gasoline
So, the answer is >>NO<< you cannot mail ammunition.

That answers your question about mailing ammunition.

You can, however, ship ammunition via a common carrier like UPS or FED EX.
Old May 22, 2016, 09:47 PM   #7
Mike38

Quote:
Your friend that lives there could easily find out. Does Kalifornia have a state police web site? For me, the Illinois state police web site has a very good list of firearms laws.
Old May 22, 2016, 09:51 PM   #8
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
Your friend that lives there could easily find out. Does Kalifornia have a state police web site? For me, the Illinois state police web site has a very good list of firearms laws.
Has nothing to do with state firearm laws. Mailing ammunition is prohibited by the US Postal Service.
Old May 22, 2016, 09:58 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

Doesn't CA require background checks for ammunition purchases?
If so, that would require shipping the ammo to an FFL.
Old May 22, 2016, 10:00 PM   #10
buckhorn_cortez

If you want to use UPS or FED EX to ship ammunition to California, here are the restrictions where you cannot ship ammunition:

Quote:
CALIFORNIA Statewide
- Tracer Ammunition

Beverly Hills, CA - Ammunition

Carson, CA-Ammunition

Marin County, CA - Ammunition

Oakland, CA - Ammunition

Sacramento, CA - Ammunition

San Francisco, CA - Ammunition

Los Angeles, CA - Ammunition
Further information can be found HERE.
Old May 22, 2016, 10:18 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike38
For the cost of 3 or 4 boxes of ammo at that price, he could by a single stage Lee reloader and roll his own ammo.
I'll second this suggestion.

Natchez Shooters Supplies sells a Lee 4-station turret press (not fully progressive) kit for under $100. A set of Lee carbide pistol dies will set him back maybe another $40. So for less than the price of three boxes of ammunition, he can be set up to load his own. If he's paying $1.16 per round now, he can reload .45 ACP for less than a quarter of that, even at today's inflated prices for primers.
Old May 22, 2016, 10:36 PM   #12
chris in va

Quote:
If you want to use UPS or FED EX to ship ammunition to California, here are the restrictions where you cannot ship ammunition:

Quote:
CALIFORNIA Statewide
- Tracer Ammunition

Beverly Hills, CA - Ammunition

Carson, CA-Ammunition

Marin County, CA - Ammunition

Oakland, CA - Ammunition

Sacramento, CA - Ammunition

San Francisco, CA - Ammunition

Los Angeles, CA - Ammunition
Further information can be found HERE.
Thank you, that is very helpful. He doesn't live in any of those areas.
Old May 23, 2016, 07:44 AM   #13
CowTowner

If the friend is in SOCAL, have him contact these folks:
https://www.ammobros.com/shop.php?cPath=0_416_418_493
The pricing is less than what the OP stated he's paying according to the site.
This is where I go when I need ammo and I'm visiting friends/family out there.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old May 23, 2016, 05:22 PM   #14
WW2

Watch the changing laws!

The California senate just passed very draconian ammo sales bills (8 of them). Amongst the items is the requirement that all ammo must be bought from a Licensed Ammunition Dealer and Video taped. Also required is a background check and a license to purchase ammunition. They also will inspect cars at the California Border to search for illegally transported ammunition in to the state! Let's hope the state house votes these laws down! If not, let's hope that the Governor vetoes this legislation.

I second Ammo brothers. Also Turner Outdoorsman. If you are in the Temecula Area there is also Faith Armory. I avoid Wal-Mart as their prices seem higher than the previously mentioned gun stores.

Luke 22:36
Quote:
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old May 23, 2016, 08:36 PM   #15
chris in va

To clarify, he can't afford anything at all right now. No ammo, reloading components or associated hardware.

California is sucking the life out of him. I want to send him a 'care package' so he can try to get some semblance of normalcy for a couple hours.
Old May 23, 2016, 09:49 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

Good for you, Chris.

Sometimes, it's just one little distraction that can improve your frame of mind for days, weeks, even months.
Old June 1, 2016, 12:40 AM   #17
62coltnavy

WW2's statement as to what has passed in California is wildly inaccurate, but beside the point. Yes, there is one new ammo bill (which hasn't yet been voted on by the Assembly, but will pass, and then on to the Gov, who may veto as he has done before), and one ballot proposition, the latter of which is excruciatingly draconian, and does include an ammo license (with background check), a vendor's license, sales only in face to face transactions (with a NICS check), a ban on shipments into the state except if processed by a licensed vendor (with a NICS check and of course for a fee). The Senate bill, which is intended to undercut the ballot initiative, does require a face to face transaction, vendor (but not purchaser) licensing, and the recording of information as to buyer, buyer ID, and ammo purchased.

MEANWHILE it is perfectly legal for a California resident outside of enumerated cities to purchase ammunition from on-line vendors. I personally have been buying from Freedom Munitions, which has excellent prices and high quality ammo. Lucky Gunner is another popular source. I don't remember what I paid for .357, but it was less than .40 per round. 9 mm was under .30 per round, I'm thinking maybe .26. Many of these places have low or very reasonable shipping costs. For example, Freedom Munitions right now is $7.50 for orders over $99

Last edited by 62coltnavy; June 1, 2016 at 01:00 AM.
Old June 1, 2016, 01:19 AM   #18
62coltnavy

I must be tired or stupid. Or both. Anyway, it occurred to me that YOU can buy on line and have it shipped to your friend. I've done it for my daughter several times. I send it to her office, and when it comes in in a heavy box, the boss says, "Another ammo shipment from Dad."