The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 30, 2020, 02:43 PM   #1
wmg1299

Last Caliber Standing at the Big Box Stores

My wife just got into shooting, so we've been making more trips to the land for plinking sessions. I started having difficulty replacing my ammo stock months ago, and it is getting worse by the day. In my area (Dallas Metroplex), 9mm ran out first, followed by .22 lr. I was able to find 45 acp and 40 S&W for awhile, but that dried up a few weeks ago. Last week I could still find .357 and 38 Special at my local Academy, but today even that is gone. As of today, handgun shooters in my area can choose from .22 wmr, 44 mag, and 32 acp. Are forum members across the country having the same results, or are some calibers more plentiful in certain areas?
Old July 30, 2020, 03:51 PM   #2
KEYBEAR

I would guess that you know that reloading is the only answer ?
I seen it coming and bought the stuff then no problem now .
Old July 30, 2020, 08:13 PM   #3
laytonj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEAR View Post
I would guess that you know that reloading is the only answer ?
Little late for that too. Component shortages follow along with ammo shortages.

Jim
Old July 30, 2020, 08:43 PM   #4
kenny53

wmg1299 to answer your question, yes it is the same here in the Beehive state. I went to Sportsman's warehouse the other day and it look like it had been looted. Empty selves everywhere. Walmart has no ammo to speak of. We have a chain of stores here called "Cal Ranch" They had plenty of 40 and that was about it. I did pick up 500 rounds of 22 short. The kid working at Cal Ranch told me to check back in about a week, he said the truck was coming in. I have plenty of ammo I just like to replenish what I shoot.
Old July 30, 2020, 11:29 PM   #5
Prof Young

Not to brag but . . .

Between buying some 22LR every time I could find it for less than 5 cents a round and reloading my brains out ever since we've been spending more time at home my ammo closet looks GREAT!

However; local stores do have less on the shelves than normal.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old July 31, 2020, 08:07 AM   #6
ghbucky

The most 'popular' handgun cartridge left in my area is 10mm.

Calling that popular is a stretch, I know. Basically, if it is fun to shoot or useful as defensive caliber, it is out of stock.

When I went to my local range this week, I was the only shooter. I suspect because no one has ammo. Nice thing was the rangemaster shut down the range while I was cleaning up and swept all the brass to me so I could pick and choose.
Old July 31, 2020, 09:32 AM   #7
jmr40

Ammo is still being produced and put on shelves. The problem is that it is being sold shortly after going on the shelves. I'm seeing more ammo at smaller stores than bigger stores. You just have to be in the right place at the right time. I picked up a 500 round bulk pack of Aguila 22 ammo yesterday. They had 8-10 boxes on the shelf.

The basics, 9mm, 223, and 22LR always sell out 1st. But will also be the 1st to be restocked. During the shortage those 3, along with 45, 357mag and 308 may be the only new ammo produced. The less common stuff will eventually sell out too, and it will be the last to be restocked on the back end.

Manufacturers aren't going to stop the assembly line producing 9mm and change over to 357 sig until they catch up with demand for 9mm. And that could be months. Even during normal times less common rounds like 35 Rem are only produced once a year for a day or so. That will meet the demand for a whole year.

Winston Churchill
Old July 31, 2020, 08:31 PM   #8
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmg1299 View Post
My wife just got into shooting, so we've been making more trips to the land for plinking sessions. I started having difficulty replacing my ammo stock months ago, and it is getting worse by the day. In my area (Dallas Metroplex), 9mm ran out first, followed by .22 lr. I was able to find 45 acp and 40 S&W for awhile, but that dried up a few weeks ago. Last week I could still find .357 and 38 Special at my local Academy, but today even that is gone. As of today, handgun shooters in my area can choose from .22 wmr, 44 mag, and 32 acp. Are forum members across the country having the same results, or are some calibers more plentiful in certain areas?
Last time I looked in the farm store (one of the few places one can get that stuff in town since Wally World caved to the Demandy Moms), there were down to a couple boxes each of .44 Magnum and .41 Magnum. And I think maybe some 10mm auto.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 9, 2020, 03:24 AM   #9
ballardw

I bought one third of all the center-fire pistol ammo the local Cabela's had today. There were 5 boxes of TCM-22 and one Herter's brand 32 Acp.
At least the price on the TCM-22 wasn't different than the last time I bought any. The budget only extended to 2 boxes but at least that fills all the magazines once.
Old August 9, 2020, 06:49 AM   #10
TXAZ

Last trip I saw:
10mm
.22-250
.50 BMG
9mm Makarov. (Not the same as “9mm”)
.44 Mag
A few others I hadn’t noticed in a long time when the shelves are full.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old August 9, 2020, 11:55 AM   #11
Mike38

I stopped by my local Rural King farm supply store yesterday to scope out the guns and ammo situation. Guns were at around 50% of their normal stock, ammo was just about non existent. They did have a few bricks of .22LR. Norma Tac22 at $4.49/50 and Norma Match22 at $6.49/50. Good prices for the times. I always wanted to try Norma .22, so I bought a box of each. By the time I test it and decide if it's any good, I'm sure they will be sold out.
Old August 9, 2020, 05:29 PM   #12
cc-hangfire

About 5 weeks ago I bought 4 boxes of .32s&w long from the rolling rack of handgun ammo at Academy. A friend tells me you can buy 3 boxes of anything they receive in their Wednesday morning ammo shipment on a first-come-first-serve basis, but there’s nothing on the shelves (or rolling cart) for the last 5 weeks.

In other words, the odd cartridges were the last to sell out.
Old August 10, 2020, 12:20 AM   #13
Ignition Override

Rifles: Bolt-action, larger chamberings such as .270 etc.
.17 is always around.

Handguns: .32 Auto is most often available. I'm not at all familiar with WMR etc, or what they look like.

Otherwise, generally as described by the OP.

If .32 Auto had normally been priced at approx. .25/round, at least if so in "Pre-Anarchist Apologist" days, I would buy about 300 rds., simply to enjoy more freq. plinking with the WW2 Sauer 38H.

Back then it was about .40/rd., so I never bought very much.