The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 30, 2020, 09:53 AM   #1
5pins

Federal .380 ACP 99GR Hydra-Shok Deep in Vyse Ballistics Gel

Test Gun: Ruger LCP
Barrel length: 2.75 inches.
Ammunition: Federal .380 ACP 99gr Hydra-Shok Deep.
Test media: 10% Vyse Ballistics Gel.
Distance: 10 feet.
Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
Five shot velocity average: 873fps
BB Calibration: 3.5 inches.

https://general-cartridge.com/2020/0...allistics-gel/

Last edited by 5pins; July 31, 2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old July 30, 2020, 11:20 AM   #2
Forte S+W

Well, from the sounds of things, Hydra-Shok Deep is the new gold standard for .380 ACP SD ammunition. It's nice to see .380 ACP is finally getting some effective SD ammo and hopefully with further advancements in bullet design, .380 ACP could even make for a decent duty cartridge.
Honestly, with performance like that, (13"-17") it's not outside of the realms of possibility that .380 ACP could be capable of serving as a viable duty cartridge, but in smaller, lighter, firearms than 9mm Luger due to the substantially lower pressure curve.

Personally, I'm sold. As soon as this stuff becomes more readily available at a more reasonable price, it will be replacing Hornady American Gunner XTPs as my backup ammo in my LCP.

Please test Federal Punch .380 ACP next, as I'm curious to see how well that measures up.
Old July 30, 2020, 03:37 PM   #3
seanc

Those are outstanding results, but as reported, the round doesn't do as well as Precision One's XTP in denim. I'll stick with the XTP.

As far as the .380 replacing 9mm, assuming some day we'll get a round that can reliably expand at least to .5" with at least 14" penetration in gel through denim, I still think the power differential is heavily in 9mm's favor. Maybe that's a duty round (able to penetrate car doors/glass) vs. civilian carry usage question like we already see with duty vs. SD rounds from Hornady and others.
Old July 30, 2020, 03:48 PM   #4
jimku

From all I can determine, the Federal Hydra Shok Deep is still a hollow point ... that can get plugged up with clothing, etc. and fail to expand. I will stick to Underwood Xtreme Defender and Xtreme Penetrator ammo which is blind to such barriers for my 380s.
https://youtu.be/6F5rPTHcrmg
https://youtu.be/-PDQcE-1T40

Last edited by jimku; July 30, 2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old July 30, 2020, 03:54 PM   #5
TruthTellers

The only part of the bullet that is expanding is the copper petals, none of the lead is doing anything, it's just there for mass.

Not saying this is bad, it works for short barrel .380s. I would like to see how these do in a longer barrel as I get the sense the petals will break off with higher velocity.

Definitely one of the top choices for a micro .380 along with the Hornady Critical Defense and Inceptor bullets.
Old August 11, 2020, 01:09 PM   #6
jfruser

Never been a .380ACP fan. Figured if I had to use FMJ to get the penetration I wanted, might as well run .32ACP. But this is good performance...for .380ACP.

Federal has done good work with both HST and Hydra-Shok Deep.
Old August 11, 2020, 02:37 PM   #7
JERRYS.

looks pretty good from a mini gun, but I think those jacket only expansion petals would shear off at the higher velocity of a G42/PPK sized gun.
Old August 11, 2020, 06:45 PM   #8
amd6547

Yeah, I would like to see it in a longer barrel, like my Beretta 84F. I’m pretty satisfied with Underwood XTP +P right now.
Old August 13, 2020, 10:07 AM   #9
wild cat mccane

It's expanding almost like an XTP where the XTP isn't bonded to the copper and is lightly skyved up.

It's clear in my rounds that the lead in the DEEP round is not filled to the top. That the only the copper is expanding it totally fine. When you pick up the round yourself, you'll see the copper is substantive. Copper expansion does it's job here.

I don't trust this source of ammo testing as I see expansion issues with other rounds they test.

However, if others get 16" with expansion? Typical non HST/Gold Dot 9mm range.

I think this is the new winner round.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; August 13, 2020 at 12:20 PM.