The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: How many magazines do you carry?
only the magazine in the carry pistol 41 36.28%
the magazine in the pistol and only one extra 55 48.67%
more than one extra magazine 17 15.04%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 30, 2020, 09:08 PM   #51
tomrkba

Rather than go by magazines, I prefer to go by count. My magic number for revolvers is 24 and semi-autos is 30. Anything over that is a bonus. I chose the number for revolvers because three speed loaders is about all I can conceal.
Old August 1, 2020, 10:05 AM   #52
RETG

Around where I live....ONE mag in the handgun. If out hiking; two or three extra mags depending on where I am hiking/camping.

But I live in a nice quiet town; however, if I lived in Detroit, Chicago, etc., I might carry an extra mag.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old August 1, 2020, 09:38 PM   #53
bedbugbilly

1 extra
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 2, 2020, 12:37 AM   #54
tomrkba

Quote:
Around where I live....ONE mag in the handgun. If out hiking; two or three extra mags depending on where I am hiking/camping.

But I live in a nice quiet town; however, if I lived in Detroit, Chicago, etc., I might carry an extra mag.
Criminals have feet and cars. Nowhere is "safe". If you're not sure about this, read your local PD crime report and get on Nextdoor app. You're missing all sorts of activity!

Carry a spare mag anyway. It's good practice and you never know if you'll have to top off the gun after a fight. After all, it may be two fights, not one.
Old August 2, 2020, 07:42 AM   #55
RETG

Guess we can't give an honest answer anymore without someone stepping in implying I am crazy for my reply.

As someone who, when worked carried multiple magazines I know and understand very well how criminals get around and on occasion I do read the local crime reports; however, at coffee a few times a week, I get the full info in person from the Sheriff.

To imply I don't understand that criminals are every where is ludicrous and proves you DO NOT know me; and will NEVER know me.

If you are afraid to walk around without an extra mag, then why not carry two, three, four.....?

As for the "nextdoor" app...yea I looked at that for a few seconds. I don't live in a neighborhood, my next door neighbor is far away; we all keep to ourselves and we all want to keep it that way.

( I must say thanks for the reply; I just looked and found this site has an "ignore list." Cool.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.

Last edited by RETG; August 2, 2020 at 07:48 AM.
Old August 2, 2020, 10:19 AM   #56
greentick

I went to a G26 when they first came out and have pretty much stayed there. I recently switched to the magpul 12rd mag, so 12+1. That's what I usually carry.

All our vehicles carry extra mags. Usually 15rd G19 mags. If needed, I drop one in a pocket.

Rarely, I carry a Beretta Pico. I always drop a second mag in the pocket.

For fun, when it's cold (about 1.5wks of the year), I might carry the G20.
Old August 2, 2020, 02:13 PM   #57
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
Criminals have feet and cars. Nowhere is "safe". If you're not sure about this, read your local PD crime report and get on Nextdoor app. You're missing all sorts of activity!

Carry a spare mag anyway. It's good practice and you never know if you'll have to top off the gun after a fight. After all, it may be two fights, not one.
What?!!!

Its much more convenient to think of "them" as immobile and nocturnal, especially the "hard to stop" type.

Surely psychos/criminals that materialize in a "good" area will be undetermined, anemic; if they don't run away, a round or two (100% hits expected) of 22lr incapacitate them ASAP.

LOL.
Old August 2, 2020, 06:45 PM   #58
RickSeagle

I only carry the mag in the pistol, BUT, I do carry a back-up pistol. One on my hip, plus a pocket size 9.
Old August 3, 2020, 03:47 AM   #59
artoo

I carry one spare mag for the primary pistol and a pocket pistol for back up. Usually a Taurus 732 or a Beretta 3032 get the call for the back up.
Old August 4, 2020, 10:33 AM   #60
jr24

One spare mag always. Usually have one in the car, and more in my travel bag when I go to the big city.
Old August 4, 2020, 08:26 PM   #61
Rangerrich99

One in the gun, one in the mag holster.
Old August 22, 2020, 10:17 PM   #62
ftttu

I just sold my G43 and got a Sig P365XL a couple of weeks ago. I used to carry the G43 with one extra mag while doing my daily dog walking, but I'd carry two when I left home. All three mags had a Pearce +1 mag extender, giving me a total of 22 rounds. With the Sig, I only carry one extra since I've got 25 boo-lets to go pew pew with. I'm not against getting another, but I'm not running out to do it.
Old August 24, 2020, 05:09 PM   #63
Ignition Override

Just ALPA.

--And only the mag. in the gun.

After the election I will carry a spare whenever I have a sporadic errand into midtown or downtown Memphis-no matter who wins.
Old September 1, 2020, 09:54 PM   #64
Tygus.Shooting

How Many Mags?

I've made it a habit to always carry two extra mags, both for my primary and for my backup piece. Four extra mags in total.

I love gun control. It lets me hit what I'm shooting at!
Old September 10, 2020, 03:00 PM   #65
ME Brown

I carry a db9 which is 6+1 and 4 extra, the gun and mags weight 2 lb.
Old September 10, 2020, 03:26 PM   #66
paknheat

These days, more than one extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old September 10, 2020, 08:50 PM   #67
Desmosedici

My main carry gun for about 5 years now has been a G19. I'm good with it, it's reliable, and I've got it set up just like I like it. I run it with a standard 15 rounder in the gun, and when I go to work, I have a a spare 17 rounder on my person and a spare 21 rounder in my briefcase. I work for a law firm, and we have had numerous instances of clients threatening us. We have about 40 employees, and half of them carry, which is pretty cool. Nice working with so many 2A fans, and it's crazy, as politics and personalities are extremely diverse.

As others have said, I've no interest at all in a gunfight, and the only thing I'm looking to do is escape. I do work in a pretty large office building though, and just want to be prepared as much as possible in case of a disgruntled client arriving, or worst case, an active shooter scenario.
Old September 10, 2020, 10:50 PM   #68
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
My main carry gun for about 5 years now has been a G19. I'm good with it, it's reliable, and I've got it set up just like I like it. I run it with a standard 15 rounder in the gun, and when I go to work, I have a a spare 17 rounder on my person and a spare 21 rounder in my briefcase. I work for a law firm, and we have had numerous instances of clients threatening us. We have about 40 employees, and half of them carry, which is pretty cool. Nice working with so many 2A fans, and it's crazy, as politics and personalities are extremely diverse.

As others have said, I've no interest at all in a gunfight, and the only thing I'm looking to do is escape. I do work in a pretty large office building though, and just want to be prepared as much as possible in case of a disgruntled client arriving, or worst case, an active shooter scenario.

Although I do carry a special mag, I don’t carry the right kind of gun for an active shooter situation being that I have a short-barreled, single-stack 45 but then again, even if I had my long-barreled 45 or any of my other full-size guns, there’s too much at stake and far too much to go wrong to put my ass in a pickle if I was to ever be a hero. I’d have to wait until I could get close enough to have a sure-fire successful hit before the I’d ever dream of taking on an active shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 12, 2020, 05:01 PM   #69
Kevin Rohrer

As I am not John Wick, I only carry one major-caliber weapon and one extra mag. Easy-peasy.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old September 13, 2020, 10:26 AM   #70
skoro

How many magazines do you carry?

My S&W 642 doesn't have a magazine, so zero.
Old September 14, 2020, 08:17 PM   #71
Andy Blozinski

It is rare among self defense situations that a magazine change could even be done due to proximity and other factors. You shouldn't need more than the mag in your gun. That being said, confidence is an important mental element before and during the altercation. If having a spare mag makes you feel better, it might just help your mental game.
Old September 15, 2020, 10:03 AM   #72
Tactical Jackalope

One in the gun (17), one right next to it (17), one in my pocket (20), and 2 spares (15) in my backpack.

Yes, I don't live in a phenomenal area. No, I am not moving any time soon.
Yes, I carry a lot of medical as well. There are many other things I have with me, but the post didn't ask.
Old September 15, 2020, 06:13 PM   #73
CUBAN REDNECK

Depends what I'm doing and where I'm going.
Old September 16, 2020, 07:05 PM   #74
Kitgun

One in gun
Old September 20, 2020, 01:19 PM   #75
FM12

One extra plus the one in the weapon. Got a new S&W 9MMEZ and all on lline suppliers are sold out. Need one more, like to have two spares on me, a habit of 38 years of LEO career. may hav to go to he S&W website and pay full price. Plus shipping. Any help? TIA