The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 5, 2019, 11:47 AM   #1
kymasabe

Flash can -vs- Linear comp ??

My apologies if this topic has been beaten to death already.
While I've built many AR's, all in the 16-20 inch barrel length range, this is my first attempt at a 5.56 "pistol". Ordered a KAK 12.5 inch barrel and I'm starting to research muzzle devices for it. My usual go-to on the longer barrels is the VG6 Epsilon muzzle brake but...I need something that'll direct flash and sound forward. I'm not interested in recoil reduction or anything like that, all I care about is sending flash and sound forward away from the shooter.
Right now I'm considering a KAK micro flash can...but is 6061 aluminum? Lighter?
And the other option is the Kaw Valley Precision linear comp., which I believe may be steel. Heavy?
I'm sure there are others, feel free to make recommendations.
The question is...flash can or linear comp? Which will serve my need better than the other, and why? And, am I missing something? Is there another factor I should be considering that will sway my decision?
Old June 5, 2019, 12:35 PM   #2
9x19

I run linear comps on all of my short barrels, when there is no silencer attached.

All of mine are steel, but none are much heavier than an A2 flash hider, since they are mostly hollow

I have them from DPMS, Kaw Valley,S&J Hardware, Simple Threaded Devices, and Tacbro (ebay).
The Kaw Valley look good and work well.
The DPMS work, but are very basic in looks.
The S&J work, but are also a very basic style.
The STD are sleek but the least effective, in my opinion.
The cheap Tacbros are on .22s and in use more as thread protectors than any other function.
Old June 6, 2019, 04:56 PM   #3
greentick

I have the KAK micro on a 6.8spc 7.5" pistol and it works well, was very surprised. I'd imagine on a 12" 5.56 should be gtg.
Old June 7, 2019, 12:32 PM   #4
PlatinumCore16

Are you worried about longevity or weight?

Longevity, it shouldn't matter because the flash can is quite a bit larger in internal diameter, so pressure shouldn't matter. But without doing any analysis myself, I would just leave it to the manufacturer.

Weight isn't a big factor because you're already at a shorter barrel, so unless you're using a really really long muzzle device or you are looking for ultra-lightweight, it really doesn't matter.