The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 4, 2018, 07:02 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Road rage is real.

Don't have arguments on the road with people. Don't yell, honk, gesture, follow, high beam, etc......you may be tough but he may not have any restraint.

In this case though, the victim was followed....if someone was behind me acting aggressive, I'd call police and either lead them to an officer or wait for a unit to come up. I wouldn't drive home.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/04...-incident.html

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; March 4, 2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old March 11, 2018, 03:21 AM   #2
RSKENT

Road rage is real.
On the way home from work Friday I had a guy buzz me. Not sure why. When we got to the next light, all I could think was, please don’t get out of your truck. I really really don’t want to have to shoot you.

As far as the honking.
In this day and age, everyone pulls out their phone as they are coming up to a light. If you aren’t willing to honk your horn, you could sit there all day. If the light turns green and you don’t go, I’m hitting the wake-up button. If it ticks you off, sorry.
Old March 11, 2018, 05:43 AM   #3
Brit

Don't know about road rage, but if you think anyone will ever let you in, in Florida, think again. All you need to do, is indicate a lane change? And they will hit the go pedal, to keep you out.
Strangely enough, they let you in, mostly, in Sacramento, CA.
Old March 11, 2018, 05:49 AM   #4
In The Ten Ring

RSKENT,

Honk at me, just one time. LOL. I sometimes space out at red lights. A gentle honk gets me back into the game too. I do think you're wrong though, no one pulls out their phone as they are coming up to a light.....that phone is out the entire time and their face is looking down at it as much as possible! :EEK:

What I meant in my "advice post" is "don't honk as a matter of showing one's own anger or dislike of behavior, especially if the guy has already tried to provoke a reaction."

*Glad that road rager didn't try to accost you. That would be terrible, to be forced to shoot a road rager....lots of people are on drugs now....something we all have to consider.

"Don't know about road rage, but if you think anyone will ever let you in, in Florida, think again. All you need to do, is indicate a lane change? And they will hit the go pedal, to keep you out."

I saw that in Charlotte, NC back in 2003 to 2005 when I lived there. It's the northern city folk transplants. They had enough of the high taxation their liberal voting habits got them so they moved south to greener pastures but kept their liberal ("me only") mindsets and unfortunately, voting habits.

I always let people out into traffic and I stop traffic to allow people to cross the road and thus, free up the other lane. In return, Lord Jesus lets me out into traffic. I noticed in Charlotte though, people were so distrustful of other drivers, when I'd stop traffic to let them out of a parking lot and even gestured for them to "come on" they'd sit and stare at me. I assume they thought I just wanted to lure them into an accident. I will never again live in a large city. The fear people have for each other is disgusting. And don't get me started about traffic in Atlanta! I will never again drive into that city unless I can keep to side streets and at 3 AM!

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; March 11, 2018 at 05:54 AM.
Old March 11, 2018, 06:39 AM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I noticed in Charlotte though, people were so distrustful of other drivers, when I'd stop traffic to let them out of a parking lot and even gestured for them to "come on" they'd sit and stare at me.
Or maybe they've seen a wreck caused when one driver waves a car out into traffic without other drivers realizing what is going on.

Someone was killed out in front of the plant where I work in just such an incident. A well-meaning person stopped and waved a car out from a side street. Another driver on the main street, not realizing the situation, legally passed the stopped driver the left and T-Boned the car that came from the side street while going about 50mph.

The driver who tried to act as a traffic light, but without being able to actually notify other drivers to stop, drove away unscathed after (admittedly unintentionally) setting up a fatal accident.

Unless you can stop all the traffic on the road in both directions, you're better off not waving someone out from a position of safety onto a road that is full of other drivers who may not realize what is going on until it's too late.

Right-of-way rules are there so that everyone on the road understands what the situation is. That maximizes the chances that everyone is on the same page. When one driver decides to try to rewrite the right-of-way rules in a particular situation (whatever the reason) it creates the potential for misunderstandings that can have severe consequences.

Although the driver in the case I mentioned was not held responsible, it can result in significant liability for the signaling driver.

https://www.claimsjournal.com/news/n.../06/244965.htm

When somebody undertakes the serious and grave responsibility of “directing traffic,” that person assumes the liability that goes along with that responsibility, just as a police officer directing traffic at the scene would.

Here's an incident where a driver signaled to another driver to turn, resulting in that driver hitting a bicyclist and nearly killing her.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...well-inte.html

It is actually fairly common for this kind of behavior to result in accidents.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/04/1...lite-motorist/
http://yournjlawyer.com/index.php/20...-in-liability/
http://www.annarbor.com/news/opinion...-turn-crashes/
http://www.reflector.com/Crime-and-R...es-Driver.html

Some areas actually warn against the practice.

https://www.springfieldmo.gov/515/Co...ause-Accidents
https://bikeportland.org/2014/09/17/...llision-109655
Old March 11, 2018, 07:10 AM   #6
turkeestalker

Quote:
Or maybe they've seen a wreck caused when one driver waves a car out into traffic without other drivers realizing what is going on.
Very important to keep in mind as I've seen more than one, fortunately none with fatalities.
It sure messed up my older sister's wedding day when my Father who was to perform her wedding was waved out into traffic in such a way.
Both of my parents, one grandmother, two siblings and myself all packed into the car, talk about lucky.
Old March 11, 2018, 07:35 AM   #7
FITASC

Quote:
As far as the honking.
In this day and age, everyone pulls out their phone as they are coming up to a light. If you aren’t willing to honk your horn, you could sit there all day. If the light turns green and you don’t go, I’m hitting the wake-up button. If it ticks you off, sorry.
It's also necessary in Florida because sometimes you have to wake up the 95 year old driver in front of you...

As for flashing headlights, if you're not moving out of the left passing lane on a multi-lane highway, I will flash the lights politely
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 11, 2018, 07:35 AM   #8
In The Ten Ring

Someone was killed out in front of the plant where I work in just such an incident. A well-meaning person stopped and waved a car out from a side street. Another driver on the main street, not realizing the situation, legally passed the stopped driver the left and T-Boned the car that came from the side street while going about 50mph.

50 mph on main street? Very fast-paced city you have there. Passing a stopped vehicle and not seeing what's made them stop seems pretty stupid to me.

No good deed goes unpunished.

I don't let people out on more than a 2 lane road and I don't stop in the road unless I'm visible way far back.

If I have to turn left in heavy traffic and there isn't a light, I turn right, go with traffic, turn left and cross the road, pull over, turn around, and then join the flow of traffic in the direction I wanted to go in the first place. I do this all the time leaving my parents' house. I'm fine with it though.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; March 11, 2018 at 07:45 AM.
Old March 11, 2018, 08:13 AM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
50 mph on main street? Very fast-paced city you have there.
It's not unusual for speed limits on main streets in this area to be 45-50mph. The limit on this particular street is 50mph. I'm assuming that the person was going the speed limit but I suppose it's possible they were going a little faster or slower.
Quote:
Passing a stopped vehicle and not seeing what's made them stop seems pretty stupid to me.
As far as I'm aware, it is legal anywhere to pass a stopped vehicle on the left if there is no oncoming traffic, no sign prohibiting it, or a double-yellow line. One could argue that waving a car out onto a street without being absolutely sure that it was safe for the driver to come out was what was really stupid in that particular incident.
Quote:
No good deed goes unpunished.
Did you look through the links I provided? Creating a dangerous situation, even unintentionally, probably doesn't really qualify as a good deed.
Quote:
I don't let people out on more than a 2 lane road...
There's still the possibility of oncoming traffic or someone approaching from the rear who doesn't know what's going on even on a 2 lane road. In fact, the incident I described happened on a 2 lane road.
Quote:
If I have to turn left in heavy traffic and there isn't a light, I turn right, go with traffic, turn left and cross the road, pull over, turn around, and then join the flow of traffic in the direction I wanted to go in the first place.
Avoiding unprotected left turns whenever it's practical to do so is a very good idea.
Old March 11, 2018, 09:58 AM   #10
buck460XVR

Quote:
Road rage is real.
...and it's not just when on the road. I see the same quick tempered threats and intimidation used in the aisles of Wal-mart, walking down the street, having a drink with friends in a bar, watching a youth ball game or sitting in a school board meeting. Seems to be the norm in our society. Heck, was even a tactic in the last Presidential election. "Get in my face and I'll beat yours in". Gone are the days of folks being considerate and letting someone else pass them or get in the check-out line ahead of them. Everyone's in a hurry and everyone feels they are entitled to be first or have it their way and their way only. No need for intelligent discussion and compromise as long as there is violence and threats.
Old March 11, 2018, 10:11 AM   #11
Johny Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck460XVR View Post
...and it's not just when on the road. I see the same quick tempered threats and intimidation used in the aisles of Wal-mart, walking down the street, having a drink with friends in a bar, watching a youth ball game or sitting in a school board meeting. Seems to be the norm in our society.
Wow you nailed it good, spot on ! I see it everywhere myself as well and coming from all ages. And if you carry you have to be a cool operator, if you are a hot head to begin with you should not be carrying.

I got stories to tell, because I'm a walker because of health issues. Thankfully I faced it before I started to carry so I knew what can happen out there.
I have had then throw stuff at me when they drive by, yell out obscenities and even get right in my face and yell in my ear.

People who don't spend a good deal of time around the 'general public' have no idea the animals and the low-lives out here. That's all before we get to the criminals and the druggies and drunks even.

I walk right through them like they don't even exist and that piss's some off, but don't ever even stop to answer for the the time of day, once you do you are vulnerable, keep on trucking as they say and ignore even a question for directions, play dumb or whatever, but do not ever make small conversation even.

And if you draw make sure all the T's are crossed and the box's checked because in today's world you are guilty until proven innocent.
These idiots in their vehicle flashing their guns are pointing their finger like a gun are just setting themselves up to be killed or thrown into prison.

Be honest with yourself, a gun may not be in your best interest, perhaps pepper spray or a ball-bat, something other. If I could still run I would not be carrying myself and not because I will 'over react' to a situation but because society has turned the average thug into the innocent who had a bad life.
Old March 11, 2018, 11:04 AM   #12
Ricklin

Thank you JohnKSa

I am a road warrior. My trusty Prius is @ 312 K miles, I drive about 55K per year.
It's by far the most dangerous part of my job.

As you said so well, we have traffic and right of way LAWS for a reason. Rewriting those LAWS while behind the wheel in the pursuit of being nice can get someone killed.

Some days I am convinced that a lot of folks just do not understand the right of way laws, and thus will "wave you on" simply because of that fact.

Traffic flow would be better if everyone followed the rules. That's true of lots of things.
Old March 11, 2018, 11:28 AM   #13
T. O'Heir

Yep. Mostly because anybody can have a DL. Up here, there is no requirement to be able to read or speak The Queen's English to get a DL either.
If they'd just outlaw automatic transmissions a lot of the really incompetents will be off my roads.
"...everyone pulls out their phone..." Stopped at a light does not mean you're no longer driving. Illegal, here, to use a phone or other such device while driving. Fine is $490.
Old March 11, 2018, 07:03 PM   #14
GarandTd

It's illegal here too, but I see it constantly. I don't think it gets enforced much.
Old March 11, 2018, 07:35 PM   #15
FITASC

Depends on the state - when I was in NV, even the NHP had to pull over to use their cell phones.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 11, 2018, 07:48 PM   #16
briandg

The normal way of driving now is aggressively. driving is exactly like the internet, when a person is closed into a car, they are isolated and uncaring. The others are nothing more important than litter. "Get out of my way, i'm driving here" is the mantra. if you cross someone, you will piss them off.

I know a guy on an unrelated bulletin board who is pretty much one of the most obnoxious and abrasive people who I have ever known. He was ripping me because I had said something that he disagreed with, and I replied

"I would bet that you drive like a real prick"

He got even madder and mouthier, and some of the people who know him popped in and replied that he did, in fact, drive like an absolute prick. His driving was exactly like his online behavior.

I guess that the point is that at no time are you safe from aggressive and careless driving, every day a person risks being injured by a stupid or aggressive driver. It's a lot less common, but lord, there are also so many people out there that would destroy you over their anger. It may take nothing at all but a lane change, if it escalates.

something I have learned. I got a car with bluetooth, and felt that my problems were over.

It's amazing how difficult it is to take or make a call even with your phone on the dash and using the bluetooth vocal function. It may not distract your hands, but it does distract your thinking.
Old March 11, 2018, 10:15 PM   #17
Unconventional

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
If they'd just outlaw automatic transmissions a lot of the really incompetents will be off my roads.
Your roads?

That's part of the problem right there.
Old March 11, 2018, 10:19 PM   #18
Danoobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit View Post
Don't know about road rage, but if you think anyone will ever let you in, in Florida, think again. All you need to do, is indicate a lane change? And they will hit the go pedal, to keep you out.
Strangely enough, they let you in, mostly, in Sacramento, CA.

If your IN Florida, BE Florida. Otherwise the state becomes the state you left, in order to get away from folks who act like that. Don't bring your crappy rush-hour driving habits south with you.
Old March 12, 2018, 06:52 AM   #19
Targa

Quote:
That made me laugh out loud and it is so true..... Rowing their own gears in traffic would help out greatly.

Last edited by Targa; March 12, 2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old March 12, 2018, 07:27 AM   #20
FITASC

Quote:
If your IN Florida, BE Florida. Otherwise the state becomes the state you left, in order to get away from folks who act like that. Don't bring your crappy rush-hour driving habits south with you.
ESPECIALLY on the Interstate. The left lane is for passing, not sitting there doing 65 mph backing up traffic for a mile behind you............
Old March 12, 2018, 07:50 PM   #21
Brit

Danoobie.

I have been a member here since Jan 2005. You joined last year?

You have a cheek assuming I came from up north. Mind you I did, Canada, prior to Canada, Australia, before that England. I also spent 18 months in Germany.

Drove in Dublin, Ireland. Most Countries in Europe. Including Switzerland.

After my stint in the British Army, drove Tractor Trailers, big and little Vans, all stick shift. So listen up, Sand Lake Road in Dr Philips has turned in to a parking lot, because of all kinds of new development.
I use it quite a bit, traffic coming out of the wee entrances from the right (going East 3 lanes here) close to Turkey Lake Road, would never get out, just to go into the kerb lane ever, if they were not allowed out, now and again, they squeeze out.
Because everyone is not gripping the steering wheels, like they are trying to crush them, boiling with rage! Don't know if Dr's are still prescribing Valium?
Old March 12, 2018, 08:28 PM   #22
Double Naught Spy

I am having trouble with the thought that in 2018, there were people who didn't think road rage was real. Rage is apt to happen anywhere that you have multiple people getting together. Was this a firearms or civil liberties issue?

Pulling the "I've been on the forum longer than you card" is sort of like forum rage, huh? How dare someone with less posts or less time on the forum say something contrary!!!
Old March 12, 2018, 08:47 PM   #23
briandg

The first time I encountered it, my friend and I were driving to saint Lois in his fiat convertible, about the size of an mg. Two lane road, curves, pitch black, we were hanging at about the speed limit. Guy in an eighteen wheeler pulled up onto our butt, rode us, at times less than ten feet away. Yes, this guy was crazy, aggressive, dangerous. We pulled off as soon as we found a chance and let the crazy sob go.

Come on, all we were doing was driving down the road in a little white sports car.

We learned something else that night, too. We got in around midnight, tank was nearly dry, and we were lost. Wrong side of town. Pulled into a gas station, lots of black fellas hanging around outside. We both got out and he asked about filling up. Well, we were a pair of twenty year old white guys driving a nice little convertible. The all stood up, and one walked towards us, and told us that there wasn't any gas there, so get lost.

Jesus, we thought, what in hell is wrong with people? I learned that night that the bullies in the schools were nothing, the worst that would happen is that you'd get a beating. The rest of the world was even more messed up.
Old March 12, 2018, 08:57 PM   #24
briandg

Quote:
Pulling the "I've been on the forum longer than you card" is sort of like forum rage, huh? How dare someone with less posts or less time on the forum say something contrary!!!
I go to a bulletin board about cigars. They have a political section, and you must sign up a d be vetted before joining it.

It was entirely conservative or libertarian. I don't like it when people post STUPID things of any party. I made posts regarding the stock market and the housing bubble, the general population disagreed, and one of them told me "Nobody gives a crap what you think, you idiot, and it's pissing all of us off! Get the hell out of here and don't come back!"

It may also have been about war profit, but I don't remember. All that I can remember is being told that I was a total idiot and that idiots need to just STFU and go away.
Old March 12, 2018, 09:41 PM   #25
In The Ten Ring

JohnKSa.

45 mph speed limit on a city street is something I have never seen. On a "road" yes, "street," no.

Most people love being let out into traffic, I know I do. I always give the courteous driver a wave or tapped brake lights (at night).

The timid Charlotte driver the post was about was turning right, not left (not crossing traffic) so his hesitation made no sense. Speed of traffic flow was about 5 mph. I'm not going to stop traffic unless traffic is at a crawl to begin with. I'd think that's how it normally goes, I haven't seen it otherwise.

I'll keep being a courteous driver. One day, you might thank for me for it.

Facebook, Twitter are certainly full of stressed out and aggressive people, and those sites censor conservatives. Those are the main reasons I will never return to those platforms. I've seen some issues of sick ego on discussion forums, but nothing near what FB and Twitter allows. Interesting point about them being "hostile drivers too." That's an interesting angle. KUDOS.