The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 3, 2015, 12:45 PM   #51
Highesthand

Don't get me wrong, I didn't post those pictures to invalidate what you guys said. I just wanted to show the fruits of your advices.

And I take back one statement I said since now I also agree that you should get some training before carrying or using in self defense. But my opinion that you don't need training to shoot well still stands.

Quote:
Once you can regularly shoot 25 yard clover leafs with a centerfire handgun, it's time to start looking for an application. This often leads one to some form of competition. Shooting tight groups is fine, and a strong foundation in the fundamentals is absolutely essential if you want to do really well in various shooting disciplines, but there's a lot more to "good shooting" than shooting small groups on your own and at your own pace.
I am definitely not there yet, but I'm making progress. It's a journey I'm currently on.
Old December 3, 2015, 10:36 PM   #52
cougar gt-e

Quote:
The OP indicated they don't own their own gun, and is only able to currently shoot rentals at the range.
Dry fire drills work with anything with a set of sights. Cheap bb pistol, airsoft pistol. Years ago I dry fired A LOT with a pellet revolver that wasn't very much $.

The repetitive action and mental concentration is extremely effective and the least expensive way to improve that I know.

$30 at Wal-Mart
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crosman-AS...ished/38413621

Old December 25, 2015, 10:36 AM   #53
9x45

OP, the fundamentals of pistol shooting are: stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control. Without getting these under your belt, you are not going to improve and will end up developing bad habits. Go to USPSA.com and find the nearest club. They all run shooting classes, typically by a Grand Master. Hold you gun like this. Shoot fast, have fun, but don't point your gun at me.

Last weeks USPSA match I threw a double at about 12 yards while moving with my G31 running duty ammo. You won't get that from shooting at a box target from behind a bench.

Last edited by 9x45; December 25, 2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old December 25, 2015, 11:21 AM   #54
Erno86

For semi auto pistols: Limp wristing leads too stove pipe jams.

--- George Orwell