The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 28, 2014, 05:20 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Talk me through different carry positions.

I did something tonight, two things in fact, that I have not done before. The first was try out my snub IWB holster at 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock for comfort instead of the 3 o'clock, 4 or even 5 o'clock I have used for carry thinking them more discreet.

I also tried draw and fire drills.

A couple of things I noticed.
Firstly it is way easier to draw from that 1 or 2 o'clock position. Way easier.
Secondly, I noticed that although not comfortable in a driving position, it is no worse that having the gun poking my floating rib.
Finally, I noticed that having a snub muzzle essentially an inch from my "nether regions" is nonetheless a disconcerting feeling.

So talk me through the pros, cons and considerations of different IWB positions. A point to note is I don't do cross-draw.
Old February 28, 2014, 11:35 PM   #2
boondocker385

with the guns I carry the most, I carry at 3 or 4 O'Clock. and I don't like IWB holsters . for days i expect to do a lot if driving, I use a shoulder rig.

I buy or have tailored clothes to fit with a gun..... less printing, more comfort. don't expect to have that done at Joseph A banks... lol
Old March 1, 2014, 12:03 AM   #3
CWKahrFan

For small guns, 1 o'clock-ish (appendix) IWB is what I usually do (mostly LCP) with overhanging shirt (or jacket in cold weather). It's so handy... I lost the "disconcerting feeling" pretty quick.

Like Boondocker, on my (infrequent) long-drive days I'll go with a mid-size gun in a shoulder rig inside a big ample shirt or sport coat or light jacket.

3,4,5 o'clock just doesn't work for me.
Old March 1, 2014, 07:22 AM   #4
Waspinator

I carry my SP101 at 1 o'clock every day. I got myself a low riding holster (Desantis Insider) and the grip on the Ruger doesn't even dig into my gut while in the driving position (although getting at it is a problem with the belt in the way).

At first it was a bit weird having it sit IWB pointed where it was pointed, lol. But, now I don't even think about it.. once I got comfortable with the fact that it is never going to go off unless I pull the trigger, I was able to get over it. That said, I still put my thumb over the hammer spur when putting on the holster or taking it off (or taking out/putting in the revolver). Just an extra bit of safety so I know for sure that the hammer isn't moving at all.. it has become second nature now.
Old March 1, 2014, 08:07 AM   #5
Pond, James Pond

On the plus side I have pulled the side plate off my snub and I can see that there is a safety bar that prevents the hammer reaching the back of the firing pin when cocked unless through the action of the trigger. I can press on the hammer all I like but it still can't reach the pin.

So, I would simply need to ensure that it does not get cocked when being put into the IWB position and it should be OK.

Why does my spine still shiver when I think of it then?
Old March 1, 2014, 11:56 AM   #6
Sgt127

A true DA is inert at rest. It's fine.

A lot of folks carry appendix with a Glock. I can't. No way. A Glock, a 1911 or a S&W MP for example, are cocked pistols pointed at your femoral artery. I don't care how many safeties they have.

With a TDA, DAK, DA revolver, there is not enough stored energy for the gun to fire IF everything goes wrong.

Appendix (if your body style works for it) is the fastest and most concealable way to carry a handgun.
Old March 1, 2014, 12:02 PM   #7
rjrivero

Appendix carry is gaining popularity because of the facts you mention. You can draw without internal rotation of the strong side arm, if your strong arm is injured, you can cross draw weak handed much easier, and it's easier to conceal (provided your body shape allows it.)

I appendix carry a glock almost every day. Either you trust your carry gun, or you don't. The biggest "risk" you have is re-holstering your firearm.
Old March 1, 2014, 02:43 PM   #8
Pond, James Pond

I am sold on appendix carry!!

Well, I carried this even as I often do when walking my dogs and I decided to make a wish for the well-being of my pelvic region and put my Galco softuk holster with gun in 1 o'clock position. Firstly it is comfortable to wear, secondly (although noticeable) it is perfectly comfortable when driving the car and I most important I feel I could deploy my snub in rather quick time with a seemingly lower risk of snagging.

I felt a lot more comfortable about trying once I had seen with my own eyes, exactly how the hammer is secured and given that I put the gun-in-holster package in the waistband, there is a low risk of any trigger mishaps and I draw and unload when I get home, so should be safe enough!

Just have to make sure any friendly hugs are not too friendly...
It would take some explaining....
Old March 1, 2014, 03:20 PM   #9
KyJim

I've always heard appendix carry was fast with small handguns but have been unable to verify this due to my ample girth. It just doesn't work for me.
Old March 1, 2014, 03:27 PM   #10
gotthegoods

I've carried aiwb for years with a good holster and belt. Compact to full size with nary a problem. I'm fortunate that my body shape allows for comfortable and secure carry.

Since most modern, well maintained handgun can't discharge unless the trigger is pulled and assuming the holster properly protects the trigger I have no concerns about where the gun is pointed when holsterered

When re holstering just make sure you don't become a bad YouTube video
Old March 1, 2014, 03:32 PM   #11
WESHOOT2

real world; no joking

When concealing a 'big' gun (4" GP100, 5" 1911, 4.5" Witness, 5.5" Redhawk) on my belt, I wear them weak side butt forward.
I can draw with either hand; I can sit to drive; I can 'cover' the gun easily with my weak arm.
Or I use a fanny pack

I also keep extra guns in my pockets.
Old March 2, 2014, 11:31 AM   #12
Brian48

I carry at 1 o'clock. None of the other positions have worked out for me. Either they felt awkward or imprinted the gun to much. 1 o'clock has been the best comprise. I use an IWB holster with both my jframe and SR9C.
Old March 2, 2014, 03:12 PM   #13
Sharkbite

I carry a Glock 23 AIWB all day... Everyday.

Despite some of the posts above the Glock striker is NOT cocked until the trigger is moved to the rear and there are a number of other positive safeties that prevent the pistol from firing until the trigger is pressed FULLY to the rear

AIWB works for me even in shorts and a loose t-shirt during the summer months. Jeans and polo shirt. Slacks and an un tucked button up.

Im 5'9" and 175 and the gun just disappears.

I use a G-code incog holster and a good belt. No issues with this setup.

Haley has a pretty good video of this holster and carry method on utube. Not great production quality but shows how it can be applied.
Old March 3, 2014, 02:14 AM   #14
Cauhauna

I made the switch to appendix. I use a crossbreed appendix with a S+W Bodyguard 380, safety off.

BG 380 is DAO with a very heavy trigger. I carry at 2 o clock, instead of 1, because 1 is a little too uncomfortable when driving or sitting.
Old March 3, 2014, 04:34 AM   #15
Elerius

I carry strong side in the 4:30 position, nothing else has ever worked taking in a mix of activities. Butt forward on the weak side feels strange and as if it needs constant repositioning. Appendix carry digs into my stomach unless I'm carrying a gun small enough to pocket carry, in which case I pocket carry.

My biggest challenge was finding the best gun, holster and position for driving. Most positions otherwise would work okay if I was just standing or walking but I somehow end up driving constantly and don't want to rearrange things just to do it. It has to be comfortable in the seat and also standing or walking. The best option if you can wear a jacket is shoulder holster, but I'm always too wary of being sidetracked somewhere where I would need to take off the jacket.
Old March 4, 2014, 10:46 AM   #16
Deja vu

I dont carry on the waist band. I have never found it comfortable. I carry in the pocket and with a Shoulder holster. I also carry a really small NAA mini revolver on a necklace.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old March 4, 2014, 05:41 PM   #17
motorhead0922

Quote:
The biggest "risk" you have is re-holstering your firearm.
I agree. That's why I click the safety on when I holster my M&P Shield in an IWB. Once it's in securely, I click the safety off.

I haven't tried AIWB. But I might give it a try now.
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.