The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old April 8, 2021, 05:42 AM   #26
cptjack

I reload to be more accurate first secondly to save money. price of all components is going up rem 9n 1/2 went from 32.00 to 60.00 at midway call it what you may no I face HERD HATRED for wanting to reload
Old April 8, 2021, 06:28 AM   #27
FoghornLeghorn

Neither Midway, Powder Valley, Midsouth, et al, are benevolent enterprises. They are all in it for the money. They have fixed costs and variable costs and know how much they need to survive. Their profit margin on ammunition and reloading components does not allow much wiggle room.

So, when their manufacturing/supply costs increase, they have to pass on the cost to the end user. That's the way it works.

There are scalpers in play now, but the above enterprises are not "scalping", contrary to what the OP is saying.

They are simply following market principles of supply and demand.
Old April 8, 2021, 06:35 AM   #28
stagpanther

I just did a couple orders from powder valley--they seem about the same prices as pre-pandemic and MUCH less than everyone else has been charging. They already were my #1 loyalty vendor--but this just reinforces it.
Old April 8, 2021, 07:14 AM   #29
FoghornLeghorn

Yeah, I'd never bought from PV before all this, but I've bought a bunch of stuff lately. Powder mostly. No primers though.

Large rifle primers popped up a few weeks ago. I started the process to purchase but they ran out even before I got the order in.

The last primers I found online were from Midsouth. 1,000 shotgun primers at normal retail price.

Before that, it was in December 2020. 5,000 small pistol primers from Midway for $216.

The OP is complaining about Midway's high prices. What high prices? They haven't had primers for sale at any price for some time. Except the 50 cal primers they currently have for sale. Apparently, there aren't a lot of 50 BMG shooters out there.
Old April 8, 2021, 07:18 AM   #30
stagpanther

Quote:
Apparently, there aren't a lot of 50 BMG shooters out there.
They all upgraded to 105mm howitzers.
Old April 8, 2021, 07:28 AM   #31
stagpanther

What I think is scalping is the charges for shipping--often run up for packing and shipping, especially fast deliveries. Most of the time the packages I get never make it on time, sometimes taking weeks and sometimes arriving in taped-together or re-used boxes with little packaging material to protect the contents. Then it becomes a game of "stalking" the delivery driver so you are there to refuse the delivery if the package is badly damaged. "Your package has shipped" means "we have printed a label" and does not necessarily mean it has actually left the shipper.

Last edited by stagpanther; April 8, 2021 at 07:34 AM.
Old April 8, 2021, 07:32 AM   #32
BCR1

It's nice to know that I can drive less than 10 miles from home and get the powder I need for a decent price and not have to deal with out of stock or hazmat/ shipping charges on top of the price and tax.

Bill
Old April 9, 2021, 06:08 PM   #33
RC20

Quote:
But I also might remember Midway has given fair and reasonable prices on most everything over the years. Not necessarily the cheapest,but fair and reasonable.
At one time the shipping was fair, the prices were fair and I really do not care a whit if they are so called supportive or not. I prefer business that focus on service not into the rest.

then they refused to ship at the lowest rate. Lower 48 types are spoiled both for shipping as well as you can order powder and primers at a decent rate.

Shipping cost are a huge issue for AK.

I will only deal with Midway if they have something I can't get elsewhere or its a bargain.

And yes I worked around FedEx and UPS and I know very well what their rates for companies and the deals they get and I don't take at all kindly to a company getting a great rate and charging walk in prices.

Midsouth ships me stuff via USPS flat rate and I thank them and they have my business.
Old April 10, 2021, 06:13 AM   #34
hounddawg

That is the way capitalism works. I bet anything Midway has can be bought at MidSouth, Natchez, Brownells, Blue Collar reloading, Creedmoor etc etc etc. Buy at the best price and remember the vendors that took advantage of hard times
Old April 10, 2021, 07:26 AM   #35
stagpanther

Quote:
Midsouth ships me stuff via USPS flat rate and I thank them and they have my business.
I use Midsouth a lot too--except during the pandemic they don't have anything. I suspect many of stores hold back on their stock and sell to retail customers first as a priority if they have a brick and mortar outlet.

Midway starting using Pitney Bowes for budget mail services that hand off to the USPS--it totally sucks and I've had packages take weeks, even months to find their way to me, though to be fair almost nothing gets to me on time these days no matter what shipping service is used. I think as long as the pandemic and weather remain variables shipping times are "just be glad you eventually receive it and it's not lost." Damage to packages of course tends to go up the longer it takes. Any time you get a hand-off from UPS or fedex to the usps--the odds go up that your package will be lost/delayed/damaged.

Last edited by stagpanther; April 10, 2021 at 08:43 AM.
Old April 12, 2021, 12:49 PM   #36
stagpanther

Just received my 3rd notice from UPS that my shipment is being delayed due to "delayed trailer"--which is odd because their tracking showed it having crept all the way to the USPS induction center not far away--and now that has vanished off their tracking info. What ends up happening is if you give up--and then the shipper sends you a replacement regardless how long the package goes missing--you can end up being double billed if it does finally show up--even if it's months later. Then it's up to you to bargain with the shipper if you can get anything back without a restock/shipping fee.
Old April 12, 2021, 01:19 PM   #37
Carl the Floor Walker

Lol, Midway scalping? Come on Man! Have been buying from Midway for many years. Always great service and fair prices. Larry Potterfield is part of the gun culture most of have come to love. A straight up guy from everything I have seen in all these years.
Midway is just like almost all internet vendors. Most do not even have any ammo to sell.
The ammo shortage is a crisis for gun owners. No need to start throwing rocks because you do not like Price. I imagine he hates the shortage as much as I do and the rest of us as well.
Old April 13, 2021, 09:17 AM   #38
seanc

stagpanther: I hope your shipment didn't go through northern Indiana a couple days ago on FedEx. One of their trucks got walloped! Nothing on that truck survived.
Old April 14, 2021, 07:12 PM   #39
hounddawg

Midsouth, Grafs, and Powder Valley have all had various powders drop the last two days. All have been priced close to pre covid prices. Hodgen at $30 to $35 a pound, VV around $40 and Shooters World and Accurate in the low to mid 20's. I got a 8 pounder of Accurate 2520 last week from PV at $186 and Midway's price is $210 (not in stock). Most people have not jacked their prices up, unfortunately Midway has chosen to do so not just on powder but across the board
Old April 15, 2021, 12:13 AM   #40
higgite

Every price increase is not gouging. What was Midway's price for Accurate 2520 before they "jacked it up"?

FWIW, I bought a 4 pounder of W231 from PV for $81.50 in September, 2019, only 3-4 months prior to the Covid panic. Although currently out of stock, their latest price is $93. Do you consider that price gouging? No, and neither do I. Things have gone up.
Old April 15, 2021, 05:49 AM   #41
cptjack

how about rem 9 1/2 was 32.00 now 60.00 almost double
Old April 15, 2021, 06:29 AM   #42
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgite View Post
Every price increase is not gouging. What was Midway's price for Accurate 2520 before they "jacked it up"?
Exactly. December 2020 had prices already at gouging level on Gunbroker, Armslist, etc. Yet, on 12/22/21 I lucked into buying 5,000 small pistol primers on Midway for $216. Plus tax and hazmat, but the total price was far from gouging.
Old April 15, 2021, 08:48 AM   #43
higgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjack
how about rem 9 1/2 was 32.00 now 60.00 almost double
Yeah, you said that already. And PV has gone up on CCI 500s from $30 to $55. So, what's your point?
Old May 8, 2021, 07:43 AM   #44
cptjack

so now I see midway ,raised his price on unstacked primers. was 34.00 than 60.00 now 75.00 @ 1000 cci200. bye Larry
Old May 8, 2021, 11:33 AM   #45
higgite

Since those are out of stock, he probably won't miss your patronage. But, just curious, since you already told him bye over a month ago in post #1, why do you care what he charges?
Old May 8, 2021, 05:17 PM   #46
hounddawg

Quote:
But with that said I will generally buy from the place that is cheaper that has what I need.
ditto, it's called capitalism. Midway can charge what they want, and I can buy from whoever I want. I sure as heck do not want the government telling a business what they can charge or telling me where I can shop
Old May 9, 2021, 03:58 AM   #47
Carl the Floor Walker

All of these post against Midway, the name calling, etc. are so laughable. Seriously, I find them funny. It is interesting to see the power of Denial that exist in shooting enthusiast. Some Just cannot accept the fact that the shortage is REAL Calling Mr. Potter a scalper, telling him to shove it etc. sound more like Don Lemon of CNN on a crying meltdown. Even if someone were to find primers/Ammo on the internet and the customer does not like the Price, I am trying to figure out exactly why they would not simply ignore the product or just purchase the product rather than whining about the cost for weeks on in and threatening to ban that vendor for life.
Heck, maybe have a protest and burn a city down over it.
The ammo shortage sucks. My Hobby which I love is gone. It is over for the most part, at least gone for the amount of quality time I use to spend on it.
But it is reality. It is what it is and crying like a whining ******* is not going to help anything. Face the fact head on, fight the best you can or take up golf. Stop the denial process.
Old May 9, 2021, 05:25 AM   #48
cptjack

I don't care about all this HERD HATRED from LARRY lovers. ,show me where I said anything derogative. but calling me like don lemon is a real insult ,I won't go to your level
Old May 9, 2021, 07:29 AM   #49
BCR1

Unless local options ran dry, I see no need to ever order anything involving a hazmat fee as the cost savings is negligible to none at all and I would rather help keep open the local option if I'm able to do so.
Old May 9, 2021, 07:30 AM   #50
hounddawg

My hobby is gone exaggerate much? Search engines are your friends. I just put together a .308 tactical including optics all at close to pre covid prices. Also purchased new brass, 8 pounds of powder and 1 K of Barnes match Burners for it.

Oh and nothing was purchased from Midway, not because I am in a peeing contest , it was just available elsewhere at better prices.

Some of you guys really need to get a grip