The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 29, 2021, 09:09 AM   #1
taylorce1

.22 Cal rimfire rifles?

If a guy was in the market for a .22 LR and WMR and the only stipulations are that the rifle must be a bolt action and suppressor ready, what would you buy?

I already have a 10/22 that's suppressor ready, and am looking for a bolt action rifle to slow the rate of fire. Budget is $600 per rifle or $1200 between the two. I have a separate budget for optics and accessories, so the only thing I'm interested in on thise topics is how they attach.
Old March 29, 2021, 09:30 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

No brainer.....CZ rimfire. About as accurate as Anschutz, walnut stock, can buy bbls for .22lr, .22WMR, and .17HMR all for the same gun. Half the cost of Anschutz and 98% as accurate. I have both and can offer an unbiased comparison.
Old March 29, 2021, 09:52 AM   #3
smee78

Yep, what he said! The CZ is a fine rifle, but I don't think you can get the pretty wood stocks in the threaded versions. I think they come with composite stocks on the tactical threaded versions?
Old March 29, 2021, 11:44 AM   #4
stinkeypete

+1 for CZ.

I got the 452 combo (.22 LR and 17 HMR) in lovely wood. I’ve not gotten around to shooting the .17 barrel yet. The set cost a little over double the price of my 10/22 ... $500 a couple of years ago. I got word a nearly local gun shop had one and asked them to hold it for me. Here is what happened.

I drove out to this “classic” gun shop, piled inside with shipping boxes, ammo, used guns galore, great selection of new guns and about five guys hanging out chewing the fat, two clerks and a gunsmith in back.

I ask to see the Savage bolt action. It’s nice.
I ask to see the Ruger bolt action. It’s nice.
I ask them to unbox the CZ. “Holy Crap!” One of the kibitzers says. “What’s that???” A little crowd gathered. I tossed my credit card on the counter. “That’s mine, that is!” I said instantly.

The lines and wood on the CZ are simply elegant.

It makes my 10/22 look like someone bedded an action in to a 2x4.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my 10/22. I spent a couple months accurizing my Ruger, keeping track of every change and the result on accuracy, posting my journey over on Rimfire Central.

I put a 4x fixed scope on it, pillar bedded the action, free floated the barrel with a rubber gasket “tuner” a couple inches up from the action. I tried several factory barrels and found the original was best. I put in the BX trigger upgrade (doesn’t increase accuracy but makes the trigger far far nicer so accuracy is easier for the shooter.) I went through a whole catalog of ammo.

I think I was putting 10 shots in to a 1.375” circle at 50 yards. Not match grade, the next step would be a custom barrel. I’m not match grade either, so I stopped. It’s a great bunny buster and squirrels beware. Scoped, I have $300 in to it.

I unbox the CZ. Finding 11mm scope rings is a real hassle. I totally 100% recommend the Burris Signature rings, the ones with the plastic inserts. Perfect for my Nikon 4x8 scope.

If you need height to get clearance above your suppressor can, the BKL 11mm rings are also awesome. I bought a pair at the same time as the Burris. The Burris are more elegant, the BKL are outstanding quality but were a bit high for my 40mm scope. Make no mistake, CZ scope rings can be a bother. The newest model may take a standard rimfire scope ring, or not. I heard some rumors, just be aware.

So I clean the barrel, head to the range. Out of the box, the trigger is nicer than the BX Ruger trigger. Using “decent” ammo (CCI sv/blazer or Aquila sv) from sandbags, instantly more accurate than the 10/22. Something like 10 inside 1.125” at 50 yards. I always include “fliers” unless I call them before seeing the target. It’s basically a ragged hole. I switched to match grade ammo and it tightens up even more. Still not match grade, but... well, I moved to the 100 yard range with the cz.

The barrels in the latest CZ line are backwards compatible with the 452 barrels. I wager you can pick up a .22wmr barrel used.

Long winded way of saying “get the CZ for under $600 with both the barrels you want”

Last edited by stinkeypete; March 29, 2021 at 12:12 PM.
Old March 29, 2021, 02:04 PM   #5
taylorce1

Well I could go CZ and I expected that to be a popular choice, but they don't offer a suppressor ready .22 WMR. I am also not fond of the Amercan model, but it doesn't have the backwards safety that the European models like the Royal have.

Right now the Christensen Arms Ranger is coming out ahead in .22 LR, and the Ruger American is winning in the WMR. Of course with the Ranger I'd have to compromise on the WMR to stay in budget. I wish I had the budget for matching Vudoo .22's, but Momma would shoot me with one or both.
Old March 29, 2021, 04:52 PM   #6
rc

Why don't you see if you can get the pro varmint in 17 hmr.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022582381

Worth a call to CZ to see if they have a 22 mag barrel available as an aftermarket part.
Old March 29, 2021, 05:22 PM   #7
Shadow9mm

I have Ruger American. Takes the same mags as your 10/22 (that was a big win in my book). Good trigger. the shorter barrel, which is slightly heavier, but not a bull barrel comes threaded with irons and tapped for a scope. Trigger is good. I added the Mcarbo spring kit, about $17. Trigger is around 2lb and breaks very nicely. Shoots very well with several ammos. With match ammo it a tack driver.
Old March 29, 2021, 10:05 PM   #8
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc
Why don't you see if you can get the pro varmint in 17 hmr.

Worth a call to CZ to see if they have a 22 mag barrel available as an aftermarket part.
Because it's an extra expense I dont want.

It looks like CZ has changed their safety to push to fire, the old safety was a deal killer for me.
Old March 30, 2021, 01:11 AM   #9
rc

Ruger American is a good option as well. CZ's have better triggers.
Old March 30, 2021, 01:49 AM   #10
Scorch

Ruger American for lower budget, CZ for any other reason.
Old March 30, 2021, 07:42 AM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

Ruger American Rimfire for the ability to use your 10/22 magazines. I have two RARs. One is in the basic polymer stock and it's a nice rifle. Didn't come with a threaded barrel, but you can get them with TBs. Probably not as nice as the CZs mentioned above, but probably not as expensive, either. I also have one of the Target models. That one's notably nicer than the polymer-stocked one, and it did come with a threaded bull barrel. I've really been enjoying that one.
Old March 30, 2021, 07:52 AM   #12
sparkyv

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest View Post
No brainer.....CZ rimfire.
Old April 6, 2021, 08:30 PM   #13
Andy1

Check out the Sako Quad rimfire rifle. Easy barrel swaps and plenty of barrel combinations. Bull barrels, sporter barrels, with sights, no sights, threaded , unthreaded, blued, stainless. Higher quality than CZ IMO personally.

I always choose the 22 magnum over the 22 LR. The LR tops out in speed and energy where the magnum is just starting. The magnum has subsonic lead hp ammo from Winchester. Speer and Hornady offer magnum pistol ammo that performs like LR ammo on close range critters too. The magnum can even take coyote with the right loads. I like CCIs 35gr JSP at 2100fps. Plus there's CCIs 22 WRF with a TNT HP at 1300fps that can be used.

The 22 magnum even uses true .224 bullets. So if you wanted, you could pull the bullets, measure the powder charges, and handload your own from there. There are 22 magnum sizing and seating dies available.

The 22 magnum outclasses the LR in every category.
Old April 6, 2021, 09:08 PM   #14
WagonM

I believe you meant to say 455 or 457 “combo”? Instead of 452?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkeypete View Post
+1 for CZ.

I got the 452 combo (.22 LR and 17 HMR) in lovely wood. I’ve not gotten around to shooting the .17 barrel yet. The set cost a little over double the price of my 10/22 ... $500 a couple of years ago. I got word a nearly local gun shop had one and asked them to hold it for me. Here is what happened.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 6, 2021, 09:25 PM   #15
MarkCO

You have the suggestions I'd offer. CZ or Ruger American.
Old April 6, 2021, 09:45 PM   #16
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1
The 22 magnum outclasses the LR in every category.
I have rifles in both, I just dont want to thread my .22 WMR rifle. I love the .22 WMR but it'll never out class the .22lr in economy.
Old April 6, 2021, 09:54 PM   #17
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
I have rifles in both, I just dont want to thread my .22 WMR rifle. I love the .22 WMR but it'll never out class the .22lr in economy.
or ammo selection. lots more makers and bullet types. as well as lots of match ammo selections. Watched a cool video from a channel on youtube called mark and sam after work. They do extreme long range shooting, like 22lr out to 1000yds. they tried to build up a 22 mag gun but had a lot of inconsistency in the ammo. and with no match ammo available I think they ended the 22 mag project.
Old April 7, 2021, 12:32 AM   #18
taylorce1

@ Shadow9mm, true. However, I do enjoy varmint shooting with my .22 WMR far more than with my .22 LR. The WMR has been plenty accurate to 100+ yards on PD when I had great towns to hunt. My rifle has been a tack driver with Federal 30 grain TNT ammunition.
Old April 7, 2021, 09:21 PM   #19
Shadow9mm

Quote:
@ Shadow9mm, true. However, I do enjoy varmint shooting with my .22 WMR far more than with my .22 LR. The WMR has been plenty accurate to 100+ yards on PD when I had great towns to hunt. My rifle has been a tack driver with Federal 30 grain TNT ammunition.
Oh yes, I think it is a fantastic varmint round. I miss mine. Had a Savage 24-C delux model. it was a break action over under. 22 mag on top, 20ga on bottom. had an ancient 2.5 power weaver scope on it. Super accurate. Got stolen in a burglary over 10yrs ago.

I have considered getting one again several times. Only thing that has stopped me is I like my CZ 452 LUX in 17hmr too much and cant justify it. I have shot 1/2 moa group with the CZ. and the 17hmr is a wicked little round. Just wish the ammo would go back to $12 a box instead of 18-20 ... has made me really consider getting into a .17 centerfire I can reload for....
Old April 8, 2021, 11:24 AM   #20
taylorce1

I had the .22 WMR before the HMR came out, can't see changing things up right now.
Old April 8, 2021, 11:45 AM   #21
stinkeypete

Wagon is correct, 455. One of those purchases when I wonder if I am spending too much money on a luxury and then never regret it for a moment.
Old April 8, 2021, 10:19 PM   #22
Shadow9mm

Quote:
I had the .22 WMR before the HMR came out, can't see changing things up right now.
I'm trying to avoid adding new cartridges to my lineup right now. Same reason I'm not going back to 22 mag right now. Just explaining why.

Cz makes an amazing rifle. But if I had a 10/22 I would go ruger american for mag compatability. Only downfall to the cz is the mags imho. Not the best designs, materials, and extensive.
Old April 9, 2021, 01:16 AM   #23
Scorch

I absolutely love 22 LR rifles. I own 6 or 7 of them (4 77/22, 1 10/22, 1 Rem 541T, a Winchester 52, some others). I have owned a 22 WMR for the past 35 years, a Ruger 77/22 Mag. Great gun, love it. I also built a 17 HMR on a Remington 580 action (single shot). Very accurate. but I guess I just never clicked with the 17 HMR, I could take it or leave it. Cost of shooting both the 22 WMR and tht 17 HMR is about the same (about $.35/shot), too much when compared with the 22 LR ($.10/shot) for the little bit extra power you get. If I need the oomph to reach out farther than the 22 LR will, I reach for a 223 or 22-250. Loud? Yes. Effective? Absolutely.
Old April 11, 2021, 09:37 PM   #24
ms6852

Savages, FVSR rifles the B22 magnum and the 22lr. The 22 magnum is suppressor ready as is the 22lr both for under 600 dollars can up grade them with a Boyd's at-one stock. Very accurate comparable to CZ if not the CZ would beat out the Savage by a few thousands of an inch in group size but at a higher cost.
Old April 11, 2021, 10:29 PM   #25
MarkCO

I might have too much fondness of rimfire rifles too Scorch. I never clicked with the .17HMR and once I got into AR15s and bought 20K 40g .22 Mag pulls, I dumped my .22WMR too. I load AA1680 under those for about 2200 fps.

But .22LRs are just too much fun. I still have my Grandfathers Marlin and my Dad's Remington bolt action that he carved a squirrel on the buttstock when he was a teenager. My first .22, a Remington Speedmaster pump and several 10/22s. Most recently built a precision 10/22. Was hitting a 6" gong at 330 yards at a 100% rate last week. In theory, I should be able to have 5 bullets in the air when the first one hits steel. So that is something I am going to work on trying to do for kicks.