The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 6, 2021, 02:19 PM   #26
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I have yet to see ANY inertia actioned shotgun used by a serious or even semi serious clays shooter.
So what is your point?

Was not suggesting either of these for the clay sports. Inertia guns DOMINATE 3Gun, which is where I use my Benelli the most. The Weatherby is to be used for mostly Dove and upland birds. I use a Browning mostly for the Clay Sports. Only shoot a pump with a fixed choke at Trap when I have a kid whining that he won't ever get past 20 without a $3K shotgun.

That said, my two boys have made All-State every year and the oldest not only Won a State Title, but was offered a College Scholarship...using an inertia gun. If you can shoot, you can shoot.
Old March 8, 2021, 06:33 AM   #27
Maxwell Haus

Quote:
I have yet to see ANY inertia actioned shotgun used by a serious or even semi serious clays shooter.
You must mean on TV , you surely would not say that if you went to the range . Plenty of Very Serious clays shooters using them with great success , like Mark said...if you can shot, you can shoot . There will a new one on the line tuesday night ,a new Retay . They claim no Binelli bump .
Old March 8, 2021, 09:58 AM   #28
Virginian

I lived literally across the street from Cajun Elite Sporting range and the inertia gun shooters were invariably casual shooters at most, and many were wearing their camo because they were just out there warming up for hunting.
I do not like inertia guns, or synthetic or two piece stocks to deal with the vicious recoil. If you do, have at it. Please do not tell me they don't recoil, because they have to recoil for the action to work.
Old March 8, 2021, 11:17 AM   #29
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
I lived literally across the street from Cajun Elite Sporting range and the inertia gun shooters were invariably casual shooters at most, and many were wearing their camo because they were just out there warming up for hunting.
I do not like inertia guns, or synthetic or two piece stocks to deal with the vicious recoil. If you do, have at it. Please do not tell me they don't recoil, because they have to recoil for the action to work.
Lol, those bums! I bet they even drink beer. And come into a fine Elite establishment with camo, is just too much too bear. Hopefully the Club Bouncer Kicked them out on their Redneck Butts.
Old March 8, 2021, 12:20 PM   #30
FITASC

Very rare to see inertia guns on a sporting course during serious competition mostly because they are typically lighter than a gas or O/U and they do not like to function with low recoil ammo(factory or handloads). It isn't that they can't be used; and if that is what you have, then go ahead and use it. That said, if I am shooting a semi, it will be my Beretta smurf gun with a little added weight
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 8, 2021, 01:05 PM   #31
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Very rare to see inertia guns on a sporting course during serious competition mostly because they are typically lighter than a gas or O/U and they do not like to function with low recoil ammo(factory or handloads). It isn't that they can't be used; and if that is what you have, then go ahead and use it. That said, if I am shooting a semi, it will be my Beretta smurf gun with a little added weight
I agree with you. Not able to perform with Very light loads and weight seem to be the reason so many other guns get bashed on gun forums. In real life, at least where I live, you have a lot of shot gunners. But the vast majority are Hunters and not elite trap shooters. At my local club we have a trap and skeet range. It very seldom even gets used. I have been a member for many years and know and have many friends with the club, but really do not know any of the Clay shooters. They have their own thing seem to live in a different world and mostly do not use the range except during competition. I guess they may shoot other places, but not sure.(maybe our range is not good enough for them?) I personally wish we have used the space and equipment of the Skeet range for more space for other firearms. Most of the shot gunners are at the regular Rifle ranges to pattern with Buckshot, Turkey loads and Slugs.
And yes, we see guns that on gun forums, that maybe you might not want to mention , like a like Mossberg 88's to Single Shot shotguns.
However we do not see many guns in the $$$$$ range. (I am sure there are many on competition days) Personally they do not interest me, any more than a $ shotgun interest them. Each to his own

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; March 8, 2021 at 01:17 PM.
Old March 8, 2021, 04:08 PM   #32
MarkCO

The 6 pound Weatherby (Inertia Gun) was a little low for me out of the box. Shot a 17, 19, 21 during trap yesterday. Slowly elevating the aimpoint to figure it out. Will change out the shims based on what I saw and get it on the pattern board next week. Overswung a few on the first round due to the 6 pounds. I average 23.5 with my Browning, but I don't shoot more than about 500 rounds a year on the Trap field.

Had three of the kids from the HS team with me. One shooting an expensive O/U (4 rounds 68 birds) one shooting his Grandpa's Browning Pump (4 rounds, 94 birds including his first 25) and one shooting a Stoeger M3000 (Inertia, 4 rounds 93 birds).
Old March 8, 2021, 05:20 PM   #33
Maxwell Haus

Quote:
Who said they don't recoil ? They are surely not for soft people . Camo, better than knickers I guess .
Old March 8, 2021, 08:08 PM   #34
FITASC

Knickers? Try Breeks, much more practical.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 8, 2021, 10:28 PM   #35
Nanuk

You looking for a quality American made shotgun? Have you seen the Wilkinson tactical?

http://www.wilkinsontactical.com/home.html
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old March 9, 2021, 01:57 AM   #36
Scorch

Quote:
Seriously? Stoegers are Brazilian crap, the worst of the worst. You'd be better off with a Huglu from Turkey.
Stoeger's inertia operation shotguns are made in Turkey in the same plant that makes Benellis. Same plant, same equipment. The management of the Turkish plant approached Stoeger and offered a modified inertia operration shotgun to Stoeger (the recoil spring system is in the forearm rather than in the butt stock like a Benelli). Quite famously, Benelli/Beretta sued Stoeger for patent infringement for selling the Stoeger 2000 and 3000 shotguns and now Benelli/Beretta owns Stoeger.
Quote:
Because the inertia system is a recoil-operated system, and recoil-operated guns kick harder than gas-operated guns. Pretty simple.
Old March 9, 2021, 01:57 PM   #37
wild cat mccane

*Benellis are made in Italy. At least the M2 which is the M3000 inertia type comparison here.
Old May 25, 2021, 01:12 PM   #38
MarkCO

Have a few more rounds on the 20g Element now. Changed the shims to fit me, took it to the range and shot a 23/25/24 on the trap field from 16 yards with 7/8 1200 fps Dove loads. One of the kids on the Trap team was having issues with his 20g, so he used it to shoot his final 2 rounds for Spring Trap. He shot a 23/23. Closing in on 1000 rounds with it and not a single bobble. It works well and no complaints for $500.
Old May 25, 2021, 02:31 PM   #39
Virginian

I was not demeaning hunters practicing on a clays or any other course with whatever gun(s) they will be hunting with. I wish more did that.
Old May 25, 2021, 04:06 PM   #40
MarkCO

Quote:
I was not demeaning hunters practicing on a clays or any other course with whatever gun(s) they will be hunting with. I wish more did that.
No worries. I hunt, shoot Clay sports, 3Gun, Practical Shotgun, etc. with shotguns. I used to hate them...moved to okay, took a class and now do pretty well. But of my 10 shotguns, they all have a specific thing they are better at than the others.

That said, everyone of them, at some point, has seen a few rounds of Trap.
Old May 25, 2021, 04:26 PM   #41
FITASC

Quote:
@MarkcoHave a few more rounds on the 20g Element now. Changed the shims to fit me, took it to the range and shot a 23/25/24 on the trap field from 16 yards with 7/8 1200 fps Dove loads. One of the kids on the Trap team was having issues with his 20g, so he used it to shoot his final 2 rounds for Spring Trap. He shot a 23/23. Closing in on 1000 rounds with it and not a single bobble. It works well and no complaints for $500.
Good for you! I can count the number of trap I have shot in 40 years on two hands and have finger left over - BUT, my best round of 24 was with my Remington 1100 28 gauge and a skeet choke from the 16
Old May 25, 2021, 05:10 PM   #42
MarkCO

Trap is a little boring, but being the Head Coach of a HS Trap team, I put in a few rounds a season to keep in practice. Have one from the team going to College to shoot trap on scholarship, and two of my Juniors look to have a good chance. We shoot State in a few weeks and hope to repeat as State Champs.

I'd much rather shoot 5 Stand or Sporting Clays and I still want to find someplace to shoot Helice, which looks interesting.

Cheers.
Old May 25, 2021, 06:18 PM   #43
FITASC

Helice is THE most challenging shotgun game there is. There's also FIATSC and a new game called American Field Sporting:
https://americanfieldsporting.com/rules

Scroll down a little bit for 4 short videos about each field and how it works