The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 29, 2021, 04:29 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

So I bought a new rifle

I reload 30-06 and the supplies are mostly the same as 308, except for the brass. So i have been kinda browsing the 308 bolt guns here lately. Saw this little rifle in the gun shop today and it followed me home. Mossberg Patriot with a Vortex 3-9x40 on top. I'm a sucker for wood and a fluted bolt. Got her home and cleaned the barrel and action well. Ran the bore scope down and the barrel and was very happy with the very minimal machining marks. Gonne get her broke in tomorrow with some factory ammo, then time to start working up some loads.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Patriot.jpg (574.4 KB, 280 views)
Old March 29, 2021, 04:32 PM   #2
FoghornLeghorn

That's a hot little number. I've never seen one before. Kudos.

Be sure to give us a full range report.

BTW, fellow Hoosier here.
Old March 29, 2021, 05:12 PM   #3
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoghornLeghorn View Post
That's a hot little number. I've never seen one before. Kudos.

Be sure to give us a full range report.

BTW, fellow Hoosier here.
Will go, hoping to get her to the range tomorrow to zero and break in. only have 20rnds or Winchester hunting ammo, but that should be enough. Got brass on the way to start working some loads up.

Just finished re-mounting the scope. It was canted, rings were loose both on the scope and to the base. The base was well mounted with lock tite but there was oil under the bases. I cleaned everything up. put lock tite under the bases and on all the screws. leveled the scope and torqued everything down to 15in-lb (per vortex 15-18 in-lb. did not want to over do it.) all square and tight now.
Old March 29, 2021, 09:50 PM   #4
Colorado Redneck

Very nice looking rifle! I like stipling on a stock. Fluted bbl. Fluted bolt. Yikes! Very nice!
Old March 30, 2021, 03:30 AM   #5
NHSHOOTER

Even though I am not in the market for a new (to me) rifle that one would have gone home with me too...I too am a sucker for the fluted bolt, never owned 1..
Old March 30, 2021, 03:47 AM   #6
101combatvet

It shaw do look purdy.
Old March 30, 2021, 06:30 AM   #7
stagpanther

Good luck--I'll never buy one of those ever again.
Old March 30, 2021, 06:37 AM   #8
CleanDean

Good Luck with it. Hoping you got a good one.
Happy Trigger time to you !
FNH Scar 17 s --Black ; cause it goes so well with my formal wear, for those special occasions. Customized Mini 14 ,& ATI stock and a 3.5 lb.-- Pittsburgh trigger. / SIG P227 / Colt Python 8 in.Nickel / Colt Gold Cup N.M. ; Voere * KDF in .270 ; N. frame S&W revolvers; and TC Contender in 41 Magnum .
Old March 30, 2021, 07:56 AM   #9
sparkyv

Nice looking Patriot. What powders will you use for it?
Old March 30, 2021, 09:41 AM   #10
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
What happened?
Old March 30, 2021, 09:45 AM   #11
taylorce1

Look down the page a little and you'll see the ussues stagpanther has had with his Patriot.
Old March 30, 2021, 10:58 AM   #12
Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
Look down the page a little and you'll see the ussues stagpanther has had with his Patriot.
Indeed and mine is in there too.

Shadow9mm- if you ever take the action out of the stock, use a torque driver to re-tighten the action screws. The magazine guide is plastic and over-tightening the rear screw will bust it right down the middle-

Quote:
I called Mossberg and one of the things I asked for, was factory torque specs for the Mossberg Patriot. Since certain versions of the MVP share the same, basic plastic 'magazine guide' I thought I'd pass this along. Per Mossberg, synthetic stocked Patriot action screws should be torqued at 25 to 30 inch/pounds, plus or minus 5 pounds. I did not inquire about MVP specs but if you have a plastic stock, it is likely a safe setting. I over tightened mine and broke it. Mossberg is sending me a replacement...
Edited to add- Mine shoots real well and I'm keeping it. But it sure ain't as pretty as Shadow's Patriot.
Old March 30, 2021, 11:15 AM   #13
Red Devil

Got a couple of the same rifles, abit in the synthetic stock and chambered in .270 Win., for my boys.

Just had to re-mount the optics, because most of the screws were loose.

MOA shooters.

Red
Old March 30, 2021, 08:23 PM   #14
Shadow9mm

Got her out today. The Vortex Crossfire left a lot to be desired. Rather disappointed. Glass was clear. Rather than the black ring I am used to getting when I am too close I was getting a white hazy ring. Clicks were super mushy and indistinct. Scope was having trouble adjusting. Would adjust left to right and get a vertical shift. happened several times while me, and my shooting buddy, tired to get it sighted in.

I struggled with flinch a good bit, trigger is light and I was really anticipating the recoil. Got some work to do on that count. My buddy was able to get a 1moa group out of it. Fired about 45rnds total. Good start.
Old March 30, 2021, 08:42 PM   #15
Sarge

^ I feel your pain. I went through three well regarded scopes last year with similar, unpredictable adjustment issues- or they simply wouldn't stay zeroed. Funny, my old Bushnells and Nikons didn't have any of those problems.

I finally coughed up the difference and got the basic 3-9-40 Leupold Rifleman. It's an excellent, crystal clear scope with predictable friction lock adjustments that accomplish a precise 200 yard zero in 10-12 rounds.

My Patriot came with a Dead Ringer 3-9x40 that went straight in the 'spares' drawer.
Old March 30, 2021, 10:25 PM   #16
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
^ I feel your pain. I went through three well regarded scopes last year with similar, unpredictable adjustment issues- or they simply wouldn't stay zeroed. Funny, my old Bushnells and Nikons didn't have any of those problems.

I finally coughed up the difference and got the basic 3-9-40 Leupold Rifleman. It's an excellent, crystal clear scope with predictable friction lock adjustments that accomplish a precise 200 yard zero in 10-12 rounds.

My Patriot came with a Dead Ringer 3-9x40 that went straight in the 'spares' drawer.
Ended up ordering one of the primary arms 4-12x44 FFP mil. My buddy had the same model, different reticle. Worked great today, crisp clear optics. Crisp clicks that did what they were supposed to. and really like the side parallax. Its a touch heavy at 23.9oz (compared to the 14.40z of the crossfire), but its a fairly light rifle. It may end up on a different gun eventually. Really liked his scope, and been wanting to try mils.
Old April 4, 2021, 08:41 AM   #17
Bfglowkey

When you buy a rifle with a scope already mounted on it, I recommend taking it off and remounting it as if it were brand new. Scope mounting done right is a personal process IMO. Even on my loaner guns for family who come hunt on the property, once they choose the rifle I take the scope off the day before the hunt, we go out and remount it to their preferences and sight it in ( once you get proficient you can site in to Minute of Deer in 5 shots)
Old April 4, 2021, 09:39 AM   #18
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Why post such a cryptic message? Not enough information to be useful. Specifically, what issue(s), did you have with your gun.
Old April 4, 2021, 09:46 AM   #19
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
Why post such a cryptic message? Not enough information to be useful. Specifically, what issue(s), did you have with your gun.
Stag P had a thread outlining the issues he had with his gun.
Old April 4, 2021, 11:21 AM   #20
MarkCO

Looks nice. My oldest has one in .243Win and it has been a good shooter.

When you buy a rifle with a scope already mounted on it, I recommend taking it off and selling it and getting a decent one.
Old April 4, 2021, 12:47 PM   #21
stagpanther

Quote:
Go take a look at this thread for my opinions. Just my opinions--you're welcome to disagree.

Last edited by stagpanther; April 4, 2021 at 06:22 PM.
Old April 4, 2021, 06:17 PM   #22
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
Looks nice. My oldest has one in .243Win and it has been a good shooter.

When you buy a rifle with a scope already mounted on it, I recommend taking it off and selling it and getting a decent one.
I normally would, but It was a vortex crossfire II, I figured it would be decent. It was not. It now has a Primary Arms 4-14x44, mil dot reticle, with adjustable objective on it. Much better glass.
Old April 4, 2021, 11:02 PM   #23
MarkCO

Vortex PST and up, good. Below that, it is a gamble.

PA and SWFA are some budget leaders. If the Crimson Trace optics stay at the steal prices, they are great for the coin.
Old May 11, 2021, 04:03 PM   #24
Shadow9mm

So quick update. Seems to be picking copper up on the fast side. Total round count is around 120. Did a normal cleaning with a carbon/copper bore cleaner after the first outing of 80rnds. Have fired 40 more since then. Noticed a good bit of copper buildup near the end of the barrel before cleaning. Forgot to take a pic. But Doing a deep cleaning now.

Also the creep in the trigger before it breaks is really annoying me. I pulled the stock and took a look at the trigger group. gonna have to find a tutorial to take it apart.

On a side note, when taking the gun apart the front action screw was finger tight. The action bolts had what appeared to be a drop of red locktite but it was very thin and crusty, I don't believe it was doing anything.

Upon reassembly I applied blue lock tite and after torquing to 25 in lb per mossberg I found I could not remove the bolt. The rear action screw was protruding up into the receiver. I took a file to the screw and shortened it just a touch. but this also makes me think it was not properly torqued either....

While I had it apart I adjusted the trigger. It went from 2.75lb down to 2lb even. Hoping the adjustment might take a little of the creep out.

Just for fun here is an updated pick with the new scope and EGW 20moa rail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSA scope.jpg (259.4 KB, 463 views)

Last edited by Shadow9mm; May 11, 2021 at 07:39 PM.
Old May 21, 2021, 09:40 AM   #25
Shadow9mm

Got to the range yesterday. No match ammo but some good hunting ammo and some pmc bronze fmj. Only able to get 1.4moa between my buddy and me. Pmc bronze shot poorly. 8moa from my gun. 4 moa from my buddies. His rifle shot tge hunting ammo at 0.51moa.

I hate the trigger. Gonna buy the timney drop in. Reducing the trigger from 2.75 to 2.0 eliminated the creep, but its too light.