The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 10, 2021, 07:21 PM   #26
DaleA

Quote:
I can't help but wonder if Looney-Toon bills like this serve the purpose (other than fundraising fodder for the NRA)
Well now there's a conspiracy theory I've never thought of...Good Ol' Wayne coluding with Ol' Jackson...what a minds eye picture that is.
Old February 11, 2021, 03:39 AM   #27
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
making the later "compromise" bill with "just" Universal Background Checks or an AWB seem "reasonable" by comparison.
That's exactly what it is. The inevitable Manchin/Schumer/Feinstein Safe Streets and Law Enforcement Support Act of 2021 will be described as "sensible" and "common sense," and that's what we need to watch.
Old February 13, 2021, 05:01 PM   #28
Metal god

Quote:
I can't help but wonder if Looney-Toon bills like this serve the purpose (other than fundraising fodder for the NRA) of making a big splash, getting everyone riled up, and making the later "compromise" bill with "just" Universal Background Checks or an AWB seem "reasonable" by comparison.
Yep , haven't you heard ? It's called compromise

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old February 13, 2021, 08:15 PM   #29
TXAZ

There is still no cosponsor, par for Jackson-Lee's track record, a (low performer) as a former mayor of Houston once called her.

This bill is going nowhere.
But pieces may be resurrected.
More appropriate might be to require politicians to meet the psychological testing requirements listed herein.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes

Last edited by TXAZ; February 13, 2021 at 08:25 PM.
Old February 21, 2021, 08:37 AM   #30
big al hunter

Quote:
Fear makes people do stupid stuff and the problem is . Fear is as bipartisan as it gets .
This got me thinking. What do politicians fear more than mobs with guns...NOT GETTING RE-ELEECTED!!

What do you suppose would happen if we all started actively supporting the term limits for Congress? Would it be to our benefit to have a whole new Congress that was trying to learn what to do, or is it better to know your enemy?

Would it do any good for us to send emails to our representatives letting them know that if this bill passed we would all be actively pursuing the term limits by getting the signatures needed to put term limits to a vote of the people. In my state the liberal gun haters would gladly support any gun control bill. But they àlso want term limits. It wouldn't be an impossible task to get them to sign a list. They wouldn't even blink an eye before signing for term limits.
Old February 21, 2021, 09:11 AM   #31
ghbucky

Congressional Term limits?

Congress would have to pass a law limiting their own terms. I'm sure you realize that the opposition to that would be quite bi-partisan.

Or, there'd have to be a constitutional amendment.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that there is some national mechanism for a popular referendum becoming law.
Old February 21, 2021, 01:16 PM   #32
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghbucky
I'm not sure where you get the idea that there is some national mechanism for a popular referendum becoming law.
Some states allow that. big al hunter is from Washington, and I believe Washington (state) allows popular referendums.

But you are correct -- I don't think there is anything comparable at the federal level.
Jeepaholic
Old February 21, 2021, 01:43 PM   #33
ghbucky

The other issue with term limits is that everyone wants all the other representatives term limited, but not theirs. I'd love to see Pelosi or Lee term limited, just as I'm sure their constituents would love to see my representative (Massie) limited.

But we keep re-electing them every 2 years. So, it seems that we have collectively decided that OUR rep shouldn't be term limited.
Old February 21, 2021, 02:25 PM   #34
big al hunter

Quote:
Congress would have to pass a law limiting their own terms. I'm sure you realize that the opposition to that would be quite bi-partisan.
Yes it would be quite bipartisan, just like the last time they voted for their own pay raise!

I saw a 5 step process recently that was for federal referendums. But it isn't a simple undertaking. A majority of states have to have enough signatures from supporters to get it to the second step. I don't recall all of the steps, but the process was shown because the author of the post was talking about term limits for Congress. It removes Congress from the process, so they can't vote on it. Wish I had saved it somewhere.

The bigger question in my mind is.....what would happen with a bunch of newbies in Congress? What kinds of laws would come up? And would it be better or worse than the current group that we already know are anti-gun?
Old February 21, 2021, 02:47 PM   #35
ghbucky

That got me curious, so a little googling turned this up:
https://www.heritage.org/election-in...ce-term-limits

In short, this would require congress to have a questions about whether term limits should advance on all congressional ballots. That's all it would be, a question. I'm dubious that congress would be interested.

There is only one scenario where a federal term limit becomes law without Congress passing it: a Constitutional convention called by 2/3 of the state legislature.

Quote:
Article V of the Constitution itself establishes the two ways in which it may be amended:

"The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate."
Old February 21, 2021, 02:50 PM   #36
big al hunter

OK.....I did some searching. And it seems the author of the article I read was a bit confused about the nation wide referendum. (Can't believe everything we see on the internet ) If a nation wide referendum is voted on, it would only be an informational vote that would be sent to Congress for review. And it would be non-binding. So, it is possible to vote on it, but it would still be up to Congress to fire themselves.

We can tell them all we want, but that probably won't make it happen.
Old February 21, 2021, 03:00 PM   #37
big al hunter

Quote:
There is only one scenario where a federal term limit becomes law without Congress passing it: a Constitutional convention called by 2/3 of the state legislature.
I'm not so sure we could talk 2/3 of all the states legislators to support this. But if enough of us proposed it to our district legislators, it might get some traction. Every state would have to have advertising for people to email there state legislators. Maybe with some help from social media....

Still slim possibility. But I would try.
Old February 21, 2021, 03:12 PM   #38
ghbucky

There has been an ongoing effort to organize a convention.

https://conventionofstates.com/

I know nothing, whatsoever, about this group. It may be legitimate, it may be fundraising to line someone's pocket. I just know they exist.

[edit]15 of the required 34 states have passed resolutions calling for one
Old February 21, 2021, 06:01 PM   #39
44 AMP
Staff

Isn't every election cycle a "term limit" matter??

Still, term limits for Congress and national referendums, and the process for Constitutional amendments seem a bit off topic when the OP is about a SPECIFIC proposed bill, in this case H.R. 127.
Old February 21, 2021, 08:50 PM   #40
big al hunter

Quote:
Still, term limits for Congress and national referendums, and the process for Constitutional amendments seem a bit off topic when the OP is about a SPECIFIC proposed bill, in this case H.R. 127.
I was asking if anyone felt it would do any good to let our lawmakers know that we would be more likely to push for term limits as a means of discouraging their vote for this proposed bill. But alas, it seems it may be waisted effort.

We can return to the previous discussion.

I don't think the proposition of making gun ownership and location a publicly accessible piece of information is very intelligent. Just tells the criminals where to find guns that they can attempt to steal.
Old February 21, 2021, 08:53 PM   #41
TXAZ

As an update, there is still no action on the bill.
And no cosponsors.
As a proof left to the reader, how many Sheila Jackson Lee bills get cosponsor and passed?...
(Hint a really small number)

Cave illos in guns et backhoes