The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 14, 2014, 05:32 PM   #1
icedog88

Question on new barrels

I recently purchased a new barrel online for my Sig 2340. Whenever I have purchashed a new gun, there has been a fired case included. My question is this; why then is there not one included with a new barrel?
Old June 14, 2014, 05:37 PM   #2
skizzums

I would think it depends on the company you bought it from, what their practices are and what they promised. I have bought several barrels and have never gotten a fired round, but mine were for rifles. I also do not always get a fired round when I buy a new gun. just depends on the manufacturer
Old June 14, 2014, 05:39 PM   #3
Theohazard

The fired case included with most new handguns is there to show that the gun was test-fired in the factory. It's also there for the few states that require a fired case be submitted to law enforcement upon every new handgun sale; most manufactures probably find it easier to just include it with all new guns rather than only for the guns sent to those specific states.

But -- as far as I know -- most companies don't test-fire new handgun barrels, and no laws require new barrels to come with a fired case, so that's why you don't get one when you just buy a barrel by itself.
Old June 14, 2014, 05:46 PM   #4
zoomie

Quote:
no laws require new barrels to come with a fired case, so that's why you don't get one when you just buy a barrel by itself.
Which then of course begs the question about the practical effectiveness of the fired-case-law in the first place if negating it is as simple as a phone call to Lone Wolf.
Old June 14, 2014, 05:56 PM   #5
big al hunter

Quote:
Quote: no laws require new barrels to come with a fired case, so that's why you don't get one when you just buy a barrel by itself.

Which then of course begs the question about the practical effectiveness of the fired-case-law in the first place if negating it is as simple as a phone call to Lone Wolf.
The marks left on the casing that help law enforcement identify which gun fired a casing is on the head and primer. Not marks made by the barrel, but those made by the bolt face.
Old June 14, 2014, 05:56 PM   #6
RX-79G

The fired case shows breechface and firing pin marks. New barrels don't have those, and don't go through a registry. So what function could they serve?
Old June 14, 2014, 06:05 PM   #7
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazard
no laws require new barrels to come with a fired case, so that's why you don't get one when you just buy a barrel by itself.
Like others said, it's the breechface and firing pin that leave identifying marks on the case, not the barrel. If you wanted to ID the barrel you'd have to include a fired bullet instead.

That said, I wouldn't waste your time wondering about the practical effectiveness of most gun laws, especially some of the more ridiculous state-level ones.
Old June 14, 2014, 06:18 PM   #8
icedog88

I bought the Sig barrel through Top Gun Supply. Every Sig pistol I have bought has come with that spent shell casing indicating test firing ( I suppose ). Why the heck would I want one showing breech and firing pin marks rather than proving no problem exists with the barrel? I want my shell casing!

Last edited by icedog88; June 14, 2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old June 15, 2014, 08:09 AM   #9
Sevens

Actually, the specifics of the law state that within three days of your having taken receipt of that barrel, you must install it and test fire it and send:
two fired cartridge cases to Maryland
two fired cartridge cases to California
one fired cartridge case to Massachusetts
no fired cartridge cases to New York
and 250 fired cartridge cases to Ohio.

MD and CA are because they're off the deep end there & believe they can build a registry with them. Mass only needs one because Smith & Wesson is located there and provides them with plenty of work for their registry. New York wants NONE because they demand proof that you don't ever shoot the gun, they'd rather you didn't own it and it didn't exist and they want you to take up needle point, and 250 go to Ohio because that's where I am and I can always use more cartridge brass.
Old June 15, 2014, 02:54 PM   #10
BuckRub

hahahaha
Old June 15, 2014, 05:07 PM   #11
icedog88

I'm still laughing Sevens!
Old June 15, 2014, 06:22 PM   #12
robhof

robhof

Whenever I sell one of my guns on a face to face sell, I always include a few fired cases, but I get the cases from my range brass bucket, so they could be from any gun. I figure they're buying the gun and the cases are freebies!