The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 2, 2013, 08:37 PM   #1
kingemandigger

Norinco Ammo Question

Just a quick question about some interesting ammo we have. After digging around in the gun safe today, I realized that we had some old norinco 7.62x39ammo in a variety of different boxes (1993-4 production). This ammo is supposed to be quite hard to find these days, being pre-ban, steel core, and not imported any more. I know that the Chinese tended to mix and match components, so the corrosiveness and acutual seel core-edness is questionable. Does anyone have any comments about the actual ammo and the value of it.
Old February 2, 2013, 09:05 PM   #2
geetarman

Years ago when I moved to Arizona, I bought a Smith and Wesson 5906 and 1000 rounds of Norinco 9mm ammo. It all went bang. The 5906 didn't hesitate at all but my Sig P229 did not like it at all. I burned through all of it a few years ago. I may still have a few rounds floating around somewhere.

Knowing what I know now, I probably would not buy it again.

Carpe Cerveza
Old February 5, 2013, 07:12 AM   #3
Cavitation

I used a couple thousand years ago in a SKS never had a problem with any of it.
That was when I paid like 100 bucks a thousand.
Old February 5, 2013, 08:12 AM   #4
Skans

I purchased a tin of chinese ammo in the early '90's. What I remember about the stuff was that it was corrosive and very dirty to shoot. My hands looked like I had swept a chimney after shooting several hundred rounds. I don't know when they stopped using corrosive primers.
Old February 6, 2013, 04:13 AM   #5
bamaranger

some

I had some Norinco x39. Most of mine is in greenish or yellow boxes, and has a mild steel core. Seems like I paid about $89.00 per 1000, or $1.99 a box!

I cannot say if there is any collector value to your ammo, but import steel cased ammo is going for about $10.00 a box and up if you can find it, around here.