The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 16, 2011, 08:45 AM   #51
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Our pet deer, Murgatroyd, liked Camel cigarettes.

Unlit, of course.

However, Clay Henry, the goat who was the unofficial mayor of Lajitas, Texas, would scarf down any cigarette, lit or unlit, filter or no filter. He was a four-legged suction pump with a bottle of Miller's, also.

I note that deer and goats have dietary similarities...
Old December 17, 2011, 06:11 PM   #52
bummedhunter

So my dad and I just went out hunting in a blind today. Neither of us have ever hunted out of one. We sat there for about ten hours and didn't see one deer. I walked a ravine before we headed in and found three dead deer so their are deer around how do I attract then or what am I doing wrong
Old December 20, 2011, 02:50 PM   #53
publius

Bummedhunter, sounds like you are in an area with lots of hunting/poaching pressure full of people who don't know how to shoot or track. If I'm right, your best bet is find another place to hunt.
Old December 20, 2011, 02:58 PM   #54
Saltydog235

Big corn piles early, little corn piles late. Sit and be quiet and still.
Old December 20, 2011, 03:21 PM   #55
warbirdlover

hogdogs called it right on...

I tried the vanilla thing this year. Scared the deer away from my stand. No more scent BS. All those products mentioned are BS. Never had even one work. I have rattled in a couple deer but that's very spotty and I think you scare them away more then you draw them in. Same with grunt calls. Tinks is junk. So are all the others I've tried. The Scent Lock stuff is BS. I've been deer hunting for almost 50 years now. We got deer "back then" without all this stuff. Let your hunting clothes hang outside for a day or two. Bath without using smelly soap and don't put on smelly deodorant. They make scentfree stuff. Use the wind. No matter how much care you take, if the wind is wrong the old bucks will scent you. Just don't take it personal...
Old December 20, 2011, 05:46 PM   #56
5RWill

Farm...

We had deer take out 45 acres of Corn last year, and around the same of beans this year. Food and water source really is all you need. This year we're doing a little cleansing. But corn/beans/wheat. Any source like that will attract them.
Old December 20, 2011, 07:10 PM   #57
BigBadPigg

I've had buck grub work pretty good. On this one place I was on for a while I had bucks running to it, and I mean running! But that was about 4 years ago..

on the lease I am hunting now the only thing that loves buck crub is cows they literally eat a hole into the ground. So depending on where you live I would give buck grub a try

Other then that plane corn works as good as anything else, if there is not to many acorns on the ground
Old December 20, 2011, 09:49 PM   #58
Deja vu

near my house I have planted apple trees and a fair amount of corn as well as some black berry bushes and a small garden. I recently (last year) all so planted some evergreen bushes and the deer seem to like to feed on them in the winter. In the past I toyed with feeders and mineral blocks but I never had much luck with them, the deer here seem to like "real" food.

Most years I can shoot a deer from my back porch. This last year was the exception. The apples did not do that well this year. I still got a deer but I had to get off my fat butt and hunt it rather than simply harvest it.

I think the apples are the key. The deer bed down in the corn and eat the apples early in the morning and then again right before it gets dark. It all so helps that I have no neighbors and no out door dogs to scare away the deer (and occasional elk). I all so don't shoot near my house unless harvesting an animal or taking care of a pest.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old December 21, 2011, 12:01 AM   #59
warbirdlover

Don't ever bother hunting an uncut corn field. Seven feet tall and the deer can hide in there all season. You will not see them. Two years ago the farmers couldn't cut their corn until there was a freeze due to some blight or something (I'm not a farmer). We did not see deer until the last two days of the season because the farmers finally cut it at the end of the week. Those deer just bedded in there, ate their corn cobs, told jokes (about us hunters probably) and had a good old SAFE time.

We hunt a oak tree woods surrounded by marsh and the marsh is surrounded by corn fields. The deer love acorns so it helps. If the corn is cut.
Old May 23, 2012, 06:52 PM   #60
ginnysdaddy

take a roll of black roofing felt and roll it out in the woods, then spray 2 yellow lines down the middle of it. Living here in PA, them deer seem to love crossing the roads!!!
Old May 23, 2012, 10:43 PM   #61
warbirdlover

This year the head of our lease (a farmer) is planting feed plots near all our stands with everything deer like to eat. We're trying to make it so the deer don't have to go anywhere else to get there corn, acorns and other goodies. Hope it works.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:36 PM   #62
johnwilliamson062

From limited data I will say it seems the scent blocker eliminators don't work, but putting your scent in the stand all the time does. Take an old dirty shirt and tie it under your stand chair where it won't get too much water.

I will be planting strawberries and blueberries now... WCS I eat them and get a belly full of delicious for my troubles.
Old May 24, 2012, 12:56 AM   #63
BIG P

The Deer know tricks also,Went to my stand onetime & 10 yards out there was a whooper,fries & coke. I knew it was man bait So I beat feet back to the truck,aint going out like that. Dang Deer knew I love whoopers.
Old May 25, 2012, 10:35 AM   #64
myshoulderissore

Quote:
take a roll of black roofing felt and roll it out in the woods, then spray 2 yellow lines down the middle of it. Living here in PA, them deer seem to love crossing the roads!!!
I know this is from a single post necro, but man it is a gem of a first post!