The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 3, 2013, 04:44 PM   #1
rward3310

Savage 111 manufacture dates

Trying to figure out the production date on my 111 in 270 win. Anybody know how I can look it up?
Old August 4, 2013, 06:40 PM   #2
PawPaw

No, not right off hand. What 111 is it? Generally, you can nail it down by the features. For example, in 2003, Savage introduced the Accu-trigger. At the same time, they went from a flat rear receiver bridge to a round receiver bridge. There have been some other design changes over the years that might help date it. I understand that they first started using a plunger-type ejector in 1966 in place of a spring loaded ejector that was mounted to the magazine.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old February 3, 2014, 11:57 AM   #3
BlindHunter

Found This - May Be Helpful

Several months ago, I purchased a used Savage 111 rifle.

The Serial number is E9825XX.

When I called Savage customer service to find out a manufacturing date, they stated they did not hold any records on that rifle, but I should write to the following individual and pass him all the information I had about this rifle. He responds to all inquiries if a SASE is enclosed.

John Callaghan
PO Box 82
Southhampton, MA 01073

Apparently Mr. Callaghan is the repository of Savage information.

About 10 days later I received his reply in the mail. What he was able to tell me is that my particular rifle was manufactured in March, 1989.

He was unable to provide any additional detailed information because serial number records containing details of items manufactured between January 1969 and 1995 were turned over to the BATF by Savage.

I thought I would pass this information along, instead of keeping it to myself, as it may be useful to someone else.

Found this at:
http://www.savageshooters.com/archiv...p/t-16775.html