The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 22, 2009, 09:31 AM   #1
PoorSoulInJersey

WASR feeding problems

I've been having feeding problems with my WASR.

I've tried both single stack and double stack magazines. The double stack won't feed at all unless I keep pressure on the bottom of the mag when I fire. The single wobbles too much and also needs to be held in place when I fire.

These are all 10-round mags since that's all my goofy state allows.

A buddy of mine at the range suggests that 30-round mags work better than the 10 and I may just be stuck with it.

Is this a known problem? If so, is there any way to fix it?
Old March 22, 2009, 10:37 AM   #2
ssilicon

Can't speak to your WASR but...

- I have a WASR 10/63 Romanian with two 30rd mags. No problems with function of either one.

- In general, AKs have a very reliable track record.

I would say there is something going on with your particular gun/mags.
Old March 26, 2009, 01:27 PM   #3
Double J

Wasr Feed Problems

Are you useing soft-point ammo? If so, switch to hollow point or FMJ. Some of my Romainians have problems with not feeding soft-points. Where the bullet point hangs up inside can be trimmed a little for better feed.
If the magazine has too much side slop, it can be filled in and re-cut to tighten. I've done this on a couple with a small mig welder and a good file.
Try ammo first.
Old March 26, 2009, 04:47 PM   #4
PoorSoulInJersey

it's Wolf FMJ.

If I were any good at welding (or even owned the equipment), I'd probably try that!
Old March 26, 2009, 09:02 PM   #5
Gregory Gauvin

The .223 WASR's are known to have feeding problems.
Old March 27, 2009, 06:19 AM   #6
PoorSoulInJersey

mine's a 7.62x39, so that doesn't really affect me, but thanks for the tip.
Old March 27, 2009, 09:12 PM   #7
antibiotic

you said you have to push or hold magazine "up" for it to feed? so try this, on the magazine. push mag in and hold. see if there is a gap where the mag release tab holds/locks the mag in place. if there is a gap, try filling the gap with a small piece of hard matchbook cover type cardboard, or thin plastic that will help push the mag up farther in the mag well... if that helps. then you need to have someone weld some fill on that magazine locking tab surface. OR maybe you could push the mag up more with one good whack with a rubber hammer. then check the gap again and try feeding... weld/fill as needed. thats just an idea. you might bend the mag lips some, but it might just be enough to help feed. i dont think a little movement will hurt. i have a ak47 that the magazines were sloppy in also i did just what i said above and it worked. good luck
Old March 28, 2009, 07:41 AM   #8
PoorSoulInJersey

I had some time to mess around with it, and you're right. The problem seems to be that there is a gap between the magazine release tab and the magazine tab when the magazine is pressed all the way in.

Did you have a way to secure the cardboard or did you have to re-insert it each time you fed a magazine?

I'm considering getting something like JB Weld and building up the magazine release tab once I check all my mags to see if it's the gun or the mags.
Old April 2, 2009, 09:20 PM   #9
antibiotic

get someone to put a real weld on those magazine tabs then file down to fit. i dont think JB weld is going to hold up ... but you can try it, and then get them welded up. the cardboard was just an idea for a quick filler.
Old April 2, 2009, 09:52 PM   #10
ISC

replace the mag catch with a taller one.
Old April 3, 2009, 04:30 PM   #11
antibiotic

welding your mags to fit your rifle ...i think would be the way to go. dont mess with changing things on the rifle it could degrade its value......caution, no... warning. i would only mess with the magazines. those can be replaced.
Old April 3, 2009, 09:44 PM   #12
ISC

if you modify the mags you have to repeat the work multiple times and are stuck with a rifle that requires custom made mags. If you resell the rifle and the purchaser hears that you have to use special magazines that won't interchange with his other AKs, THAT will lower the value of the rifle.

Replacing the mag catch requires driving out one pin with a punch. Then you can either install a new mag catch )like a mag wing) that is longer or extend the original catch by welding. Either way you'll be better off
Old April 4, 2009, 07:12 AM   #13
PoorSoulInJersey

as I've been playing with this, I've got a few new discoveries.

The plastic ProMags have the most play, with almost 1/16" between the mag catch and the tab on the magazine. Obviously, it's got a LOT of play. I have 3 of them and they are all about the same, with none of them feeding.

A steel magazine has almost no play, sitting almost flush with the mag catch. It won't feed right either. If I build up or change the mag release, this one wouldn't even fit probably.

A single stack magazine (yeah, yeah, I know....) has no vertical play, but obviously has a lot of side to side play. It won't feed right either.

The one that really confused me is the steel mag. It sits with almost no wobble at all, but it still won't feed right. Like all the others, if I hold the mag in or just rest the gun on the bench with the mag bearing the weight, it shoots fine.
Old April 5, 2009, 11:24 AM   #14
ISC

check to make sure that the feed ramp is there. Its concievable that it left the factory without one.
Old April 6, 2009, 03:32 PM   #15
bohnscot

when you say almost no play that is a relative term .i've had as little as 0.015 tolerance affect feeding of ammunition. try factory steel mags and hold up on bottom of mag if it feeds correctly then you need to add a little to the top of your mag catch. which can be fairly easily done. take a 1/8 drift pin punch and punch the mag catch pin out .you will need to support the back of it with a socket or similar. once you get it out have about a 1/16-1/8 welded on top of it then dress down with a file. then without the spring installed put your magcatch back in it and keep trying to fit your magcatch to where there is no
play/slop whatsoever. the mag should not rock back and forth, a little side to side is ok but no back and forth try this .if you need more tech support feel free to pm me an ak is reliable by design not by accident