The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 15, 2017, 11:33 AM   #1
TrueBlue711

Vertical vs angled pistol grip

I'm not talking about the forward grips. This is about the primary pistol grip of the gun (mostly applies to AR style guns, but a lot of modern bolt actions have AR pistol grips these days). Just for easy comparison, the angles I'm comparing are Magpul MOE grip vs. Magpul MOE K2 grip. MOE is a traditional pistol grip angle like the old A2 grip (maybe not exactly, but you get the point). The MOE K2 is more of a steeper or vertical angle. Which do you prefer? I know the vertical keeps your wrist at a more natural position. What other benefits does one or another provide besides personal preference?
Old November 15, 2017, 11:48 AM   #2
OzeanJaeger

It depends on what it's for and how you are shooting.

My chassis gun is comp rifle that has a straight vertical grip because I'm prone shooting off a bi-pod and creating a wide range of improvised shooting positions. I think the vert grip allows for more flexibility and to create a wider range of comfortable shooting positions than the canted grip.

My AR has a canted grip which is, for me, more comfortable when firing from the standing positions.

I don't think there is a set anything. It's what you prefer and what feels best for you, and I think that's going to be a little different for everyone. Just like some people love the cant of a glock and some of a Government Model.

To me it's what feels most comfortable and most natural for that type of shooting.
Old November 15, 2017, 01:30 PM   #3
TrueBlue711

Well, 3 of my firearms use AR style pistol grips. My normal AR has the Magpul MOE pistol grip on it. No issues and it works fine. Very general purpose rifle used for plinking and coyote hunting. My AR pistol has the Magpul MOE K2 vertical pistol grip on it since I hold it so close to my body compared to a rifle. Keeping my wrist straight when holding it that close is more comfortable.
The rifle I'm going back and forth on for deciding is my SCAR 17. My SCAR's intended purpose is kind of a jack-of-all-trades, past 50 yards. I don't do competitions with it, but I hunt with it and punch holes in paper via bench, prone and standing positions. I could run and gun with it too (my bipod and scope are QD. I can remove them and go with irons pretty quick), but it's not intended for it. But out of all the shooting I do with it, the most frequent is bench/prone shooting from ranges between 100-600 yards.
Old November 15, 2017, 02:53 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Never measured the angles, but they're about the natural angle of one's trigger hand that keeps you from having an odd angle with your hand.
Same thing when shooting off a bi-pod. Think LMG.
Old November 15, 2017, 05:00 PM   #5
OzeanJaeger

I don't think it matters shooting off a table at the range. Either works fine. If you are walking around with it, hunting with it, and shooting from the standing positions I would go with a canted grip if a pistol grip, but honestly I prefer a straight or upland stock for hunting. I guess it's just what I'm most accustomed to hunting with. That's obviously not an option with a SCAR.

A buddy of mine hunts with a .300BLK EBR. I told him that if I didn't know him and ran into him in the woods carrying that ray gun I'd be walking the other way.