The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old February 3, 2014, 03:41 PM   #1
loademwell

Ideal 308 - 375 - 395

I just picked up this mold at a garage sale. (well, last summer) it was only 5 bucks. I figured why not...

It seems to be in ok shape. I put candle wax in it just to see what it would turn out like. Not bad.

My big question is this:
Any idea on how to tell how many grains this bullet is going to weigh? Do I have to make a lot of them and get an average? Is one of the Numbers on it tell me what the grain is?
If I was to make these and shoot them say, a .308 do they need to be gas checked? when do I need to gas check them? 30-06? 300 win mag? What marks the cut off?

Thanks guys!
Old February 4, 2014, 04:32 AM   #2
Mike / Tx

Usually the numbers stamped in the sides depict the diameter and weight to some degree. That said I looked though one listing I have on file and didn't see anything relating to what you posted.

You might look on it again and see if there is something else stamped on it, and if so, you can look through some of these PDF's and find the exact mold number which should give you the weight, and approximate age.
Historical Mold Listing

As for the gas check thing, unless it has a rebated base on it you don't normally use a gas check, however even with a plain base there are some who ARE using aluminum checks expressly made for that diameter bullet. Personally I have about 1K of those type checks and out of the half dozen or so I have tried to install, it simply hasn't happened yet. Then again I only gave it a passing effort and didn't really go at it very constructively. Since I know there are plenty who shoot them every day.

Hope this helps