The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 12, 2006, 10:13 AM   #1
HK_P7

Remington 870- Difference between Police and Regular Express?

Just as the title states, for Remington 870s, are there any major differences between the Police Version and a Express Magnum (18" Barrel)?
Old May 12, 2006, 10:43 AM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

The police models get the better parts. There IS a difference.
Denis
Old May 12, 2006, 12:24 PM   #3
mathman

For normal use (ie, the hunter, target shooter, etc...) they'll both last a lifetime. But for abusive police service (or if you abuse your guns ) the police model is FAR superior. It is made with heavier duty, machined parts...and it has a parkerized finish which is more durable than the bead blasted finish on the express.

That said, the express model is still a fine shotgun...the best pump on the market when compared to everything else IMO.
Old May 12, 2006, 12:43 PM   #4
JNewell

Do a search here for 870P and you'll find lots of posts that list the differences. As mentioned above, there really is a difference, especially between the Express and Police line.
Old May 12, 2006, 12:51 PM   #5
JNewell

from a post by Dfariswheel in this thread (note that the safety difference may have changed if the Express doesn't have the J-lock):

Once again, here's the differences between an Express and a Police 870:

The Express is Remington's "budget" gun, made to compete with the cheaper to make Winchester and Mossberg guns.

The Police is Remington's top-of-the-line defense gun.

How Remington lowered the price of the Express was to reduce hand labor to a bare minimum, to eliminate much of the polishing and de-burring the better quality Wingmaster and Police guns get, and to use some plastic parts.

The Express is basically the same forged and milled steel receiver and heavy-duty internals gun the better 870's are, just without the smooth, no burrs, no machine marks finish.

The Express Home Defense Model has:
A plastic trigger group.
The dimples in the mag tube and the new style magazine retention system, EXCEPT on the extended magazine version, which does NOT have the dimples.
A rougher finish inside and outside, with machine marks and some burrs left.
A rougher blue job.
A less polished bore.
A two piece barrel. (not 100% sure about this)
Hardwood or synthetic stock, with a sporting-length fore end.
An 18", cylinder bore barrel, with a bead sight.
Some Metal Injection Molded (MIM) parts, like the extractor.
Has the locking safety button, although Remington MAY have discontinued it.

The 870 Police has:
An aluminum trigger group.
The old style magazine retention system.
A much smoother finish inside and out, no machine marks or burrs.
The Police gun receives a higher level of inspection and finishing.
A military-grade parkerized finish.
A polished bore.
A one piece barrel.
Walnut or synthetic stock, with a short police-length fore end.
Choices in different stocks, including Speed-feed, and others.
18" to 20" improved cylinder barrel, with a wide choice in sights, including rifle, ghost ring, and luminous.
Heavy-duty magazine spring.
Heavy-duty trigger-sear spring.
Sling swivel mounts.
No use of MIM parts, the extractor is milled.
No lockable safety.

The Express is a budget gun, the Police is the top-of-the-line in quality.
The Police is generally considered to be the finest quality defense
pump gun made.

Any one can buy a Remington Police gun.
The problem is, Remington only sells Police guns through Remington factory authorized Law Enforcement Distributors.

MOST factory authorized distributors only stock sporting guns, due to the licensing and paperwork required for some police guns like 14" barrel shotguns.

Since most dealers don't normally buy from the LE distributors, this means they have to make a special order, and some just don't want to go to the trouble.

Some dealers will blow you off by telling you that Remington won't sell Police guns to "civilians".

To get a police gun, simply find a dealer who either buys from a LE distributor, or who will special order one for you.

The Police 870 is well worth the added trouble and expense. It is the Cadillac of pump guns.
Old May 12, 2006, 01:46 PM   #6
epr105

The new 870P is not all it is cracked up to be. I know that from first hand knoledge. I only have trouble with the new guns not the older 870P or the Wingmaster. If you get a new 870P it needs to have the chamber polished and the trigger polished for reliable operation. ALL of the new 870P that I have to issue to the line officers are unreliable and jam out of the box. This is not an opinion this is the facts. Untill I get them polished they are widdow makers.
I still think Remington has a good product they are just trying to save money on the final inspection and finishing.
Ed
EPR105
Old May 12, 2006, 03:13 PM   #7
ron73644

................but it is unforgiveable that they would produce a police gun that isn't mechanically sound and consistantly jams. That just isn't right. It's not right to make any gun that is mechanically unfinished, but a police gun--no, for sure.
Old May 12, 2006, 04:26 PM   #8
mathman

Well, I only have direct experience with the one that I own, but it has been flawless out of the box. I just bought it less than 6 months ago...
Old May 12, 2006, 06:20 PM   #9
cscoios

I bought a used 870P a month ago from surplus local LEO training academy. The recruits used these for training. Got it with the mounted SureFire light on the fore-arm for $300.

My 870P is far superior in quality than my Mossberg 500A. I feel well armed with either, but the action on the 870 is so smooth- no loose parts.
Old May 12, 2006, 11:37 PM   #10
HK_P7

Thanks for your input guys. JNewell, thanks for th detailed link to Dfariswheel's 870 Post.
Old May 13, 2006, 12:49 AM   #11
DPris
Member Emeritus

My P Max was equally flawless out of the box. Nothing needed to be polished or done in any way, and it worked perfectly bone dry as it came.
Senis
Old May 29, 2006, 06:41 PM   #12
richardschennberg

If you want the best quality, buy a Remington 870 Wingmaster.
If you want an extended tube, call Shooters Connection (see Favorite Links on Schennberg.com).
Richard
Old June 3, 2006, 12:05 AM   #13
Grog

If you intend to use a locking rack, the standard foreend will not clear the mount.