The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 2002, 11:40 PM   #1
sjones

#6 lead shot?

I live in houston and can't find any anywhere. Does any one know where I can get some? I even tried several online stores with no luck.7 1/2,8,9 no problem,but I can't find any #6. I wanted to load up a bunch for general hunting,rabbits,pheasants,and so forth. sj
Old December 14, 2002, 12:20 AM   #2
lockandrock
Registration in progress

You might waht to try Basspro shop. #6 is probably not the most commonly loaded shot size but it is available.

You can also try midway usa and other locations
Old December 14, 2002, 01:41 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Try finding 7 shot.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 14, 2002, 03:26 AM   #4
Long Path

I don't think I've ever seen 7 shot, Mike!
I know it was oft used by Brits, but here, you find #2, #4, #5, #6, #7 1/2, #8, and #9.
Old December 14, 2002, 09:43 AM   #5
maxwayne

My South Dakota hunting buddy lives in Dallas and he cant find any loaded 6's down there. He shoots pheasants at a tower shoot a couple of times a year. When we are in SD, he stocks up on 6's to take back with him.
Old December 14, 2002, 09:54 AM   #6
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Does shot size preference change as a matter of "style?"

Long Path mentions difficulty of finding #7 shot. It used to be fairly common, at least in loaded shells, in the Fort Worth area--I guess it waws dring the 1960s when I was buying a fair amount of it. I've never loaded shotgun shells, so never paid attention to abundance/scarcity of #7. It stands to reason that most shotshell reloading is done by those engaged in the target sports, though, and wanting lots of shot in the pattern, tend to use smaller sizes. (duh!)

When I was young, most of the loaded shotshells I encountered were number six - - -The "all around" size. South Jefferson County, Oklahoma--My Uncle Fred Coats used to keep his old Nitro Hunter double just inside the farm house back door, with six or eight #6 loads and a couple of buck on the shelf above it. The sixes served for foxes, coyote, prairie wolves, skunks, chicken hawks, and wot-not. Dunno why the buckshot. The bear. deer, and most of the outlaws were gone from his area for many years. He was on good terms with the "laws," and had no truck with untaxed alcohol.

My dad's main sport was rabbit hunting with a .22 rifle. The few times I know of him going dove hunting on the ranch ponds outside El Paso, he also used #6 shot. He died when I was 17, and his choice of shot size was never a topic of discussion.

I need to locate a few old paper hulled #6 shells to display with Uncle Fred's old hammer gun, whenever I get around to shadow boxing it. Just wouldn't do to show it with those namby-pamby 7-1/2 shells!

Best,
Johnny
Old December 14, 2002, 10:16 AM   #7
HSMITH

Graf and Sons or Gamaliel should have the #6 shot, Ballistic Specialties will have it too. You will pay a pretty penny for one bag of shot shipped but it will load over 300 typical game loads. I prefer #5 shot and a tight choke for hunting, but have used 6's a lot. #7 can still be found around here, but with a flushing dog I prefer a larger shot on pheasants and the like.
Old December 14, 2002, 12:37 PM   #8
sjones

HSMITH,I finaly got all the bugs out of my new press and it is shooting ok now. I appreciate all the help that you have given me. It turned out that the adjustments on the sizemaster were all wrong.I got a friend who is into shotshell reloading to come over to the house and we went through it from stage one to the final crimp.One of the problems was that the final crimp was way to deep and it was buckling the shells.Thanks again. sheldon
Old December 14, 2002, 12:47 PM   #9
HSMITH

ANYTIME bud. Just glad I was able to help.
Old December 15, 2002, 01:16 AM   #10
Zorro

#6's are my do everthing shot size.

Without #6's there would be bird shot inside Bob White Quail I might bite down on!