The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 2, 2013, 06:06 AM   #26
foxytwo

I always wear muffs and plugs when I shoot. In the military many years ago we did not have hearing protection and my hearing was damaged. The hearing loss can creep up on you and you do not notice it as much as other people notice that you are not hearing like you should. I finally got hearing aids and I can hear sounds that I have not heard in 50 years. Protect your hearing as it can not be fixed and hearing aids are only a crutch, and a very expensive crutch.
Old September 2, 2013, 07:58 AM   #27
Rifleman1776

I have both but wear plugs 90% of the time. Plugs are handy, I have a pair in my pocket at all times. Having and using is better than being in a noisy environment with the muffs sitting back home.
But, with plugs, be sure to use the silicone foam type. They can be compressed and expand to fill the ear canal. And, they must be inserted well into the canal. I see many people who just sorta prop them on the outer ear doing no good at all.
The rubber foam plugs cannot be compressed and are worthless, IMHO.
Old November 12, 2013, 09:25 PM   #28
mont1120

hearing loss

I'm old enough to have grown up in the ol "rub some dirt on it" days when wearing protection for anything was considered sissy. We did not wear glasses, hearing protection, or worry about seat belts and smoking.

I can to this day remember losing hearing for days after a .22 Jet was fired in a pistol right next to me at the range. The sound was shrill and absolutely wrecked my right ear. Now, after 500 decibel rock concerts and thousands of rounds later, I lost about 60% of what I should have.

If you value something, protect it. Do it well. What I would give to have the hearing back. I would hate to lose more of it, and certainly would hate the disaster of losing an eye. Stay safe, and demand all those around you do the same.
Old November 12, 2013, 10:57 PM   #29
Justice06RR

If shooting outdoor I would use earplugs, esp in the hot weather months. Ear muffs make it harder to shoot and also make it hotter for the shooter. Outdoor shooting also is not as loud as the sound can disperse in a larger area vs indoors.

Indoor ranges I normally use ear muffs, but usually only for light plinking and short-range pistol practice
Old November 14, 2013, 09:04 PM   #30
nate_g_2003

I grew up using muffs, but after a few years, all the ones I had interfered with aiming, so my dad switched me over to plugs. I still mainly use plugs for shooting (North Comfits 26dB NRR), which are silicone plugs. When I shoot my .44 Mag, I bust out the HOWARD LEIGHT 30dB NRR muffs to go over the top.

I'm getting my 4year old daughter a pair of pink muffs for Christmas, rated for 31dBs NRR.

Having worked at Grainger for 6.5 years, I started noticing that there is a huge difference between all the plugs and muffs out there.