The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 9, 2010, 01:52 AM   #1
Slowshot

Leupold Replacement Target Turrets

I am disabled in a way that makes my right hand mostly useless. I have a Leupold Vari-X IIc 6.5-18X40 that I would like to use as a target scope. It is a fine scope with the clear bright view you expect from Leupold. When I bought it (used) I did not realize that I would not be able to adjust windage with my left hand, without taking my eye away from the scope. All other scopes I have owned had target turrets that I could turn by simply reaching over the scope with my good left hand.

Because I am completely a target shooter, who adjusts windage and elevation by holding the rifle onto the center of the target, where I had aimed and walking the crosshairs to the actual point of impact, while looking through the scope, I have great difficulty in dialing in my scope. Even holding the rifle still while I turn the windage knob with a coin is very difficult for me.

I have heard that my scope could be modified with add-on target turrets but I cannot find them at any on-line store. Does anyone know of such a product and where I can get what I need?
Old September 9, 2010, 08:48 AM   #2
wogpotter

Stoney Point makes a replacement/add-on "Target turret" for the Leupolds.

However there seems to be a question if they fit all the Leupold sights. Supposedly there is an issue with some kind of thin alloy "washer, or Spacer" that means they don't engage the knobs properly. Also there is supposed to be a variation in the knob itself, where some have a coin-slot screw & some don't. The Stoney point knobs need the coin-slot type as that is how they engage the original adjustments.

IIRC Midway & Cabela's have the knobs. Check here for more info.
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Brow...yString=657***

Last edited by wogpotter; September 9, 2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old September 9, 2010, 01:53 PM   #3
HiBC

You can go to the Leupold website and look at their custom shop page.The custom shop can put full target knobs on the scope you have for a pretty reaso9nable price.