The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 5, 2010, 04:21 PM   #1
jambrdly

substitute ruger mags for mini-14

I love my mini-14. The only problem is, Ruger wants $40 for a magazine. That is outrageous. I's just a bit of folded sheet metal with a spring inside. I have tried a couple of cheaper after market brands and they fit too loosely - they rattle and thats not good. Does anyone know from experience of a good after market mag for the mini-14?

Thanks in advance
Old September 5, 2010, 06:36 PM   #2
geetarman

There is another post on the forum on the same subject.

I will tell you what I told them. Spend the money and buy the factory mags.

I have a bunch of pieces of folded metal and springs mthat are supposed to be mags for Mini14. My son got a crap load of them and that is what they are.

Do yourself a favor and get the factory mags. You are going to be kicking yourself if you don't

Geetarman
Old September 6, 2010, 06:41 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

After market Ruger Mini-14/30 magazines...

For the posted uses, I'd check into the MagPul line. They make top quality AR rifle magazines and I think they include 5.56mm Ruger models too.
See www.Brownells.com www.Cheaperthandirt.com and www.Deltaforce.com .
Polymer magazines are out there too but I do not know if they function in Mini-14s.
Old September 6, 2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Crosshair

Ruger is just selling their mags for MSRP. you can easily get them cheaper elsewhere. CDNN Investments has the 30s for $30 and the 20's for $25.

Yea yea, they are more expensive than AR mags. Complaining about Mini mags being more expensive than AR mags is like complaining about veal being more expensive than ground beef. You only have to buy a factory Ruger mag once. I have a 25-year old factory 30 rounder that continues to work fine with only basic rust protection. How many regularly used AR mags have seen their 10th birthday without a facelift or two?
Old September 7, 2010, 08:03 AM   #5
plumbernater

Like said above buy the factory mags. I have a older mini 181 and a couple of aftermarket mags that seem to have there good days and bad days all of my factory mags work great. Oh yes , the new 30 rounders do better with 29. Bullet on top needs to be on the left looking at the mag, back of mag to front
Old September 7, 2010, 09:27 AM   #6
KMO

Factory mags are the best bet for the Mini-14, and CDNN (mentioned above) always carries them for the cheapest price. But, I have had excellent experience with Thermold 30-round polymer mags also, and new Thermolds can once again be found for sale after a lengthy MIA. A new polymer magazine made by Tapco is out as well. They perform well, but they will allow the top round to pop out when stored loaded to capacity. A cheap dust cover takes care of that problem though...

Ruger factory 20-round mags
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/rumi14220blm.html

Thermold 30-round mags
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/57875

Tapco 30-round mags
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG340-1.html
Old September 7, 2010, 09:37 AM   #7
BODAME

Ruger Mags Only

Words of Experience:Mini 14s are sometimes Picky Eaters
Ruger Mags: No Issues.
Others : Feeding Issues with several Mfgs
Old September 7, 2010, 10:43 AM   #8
Idahoser

The mini-14 seemed really cool at first, when I first learned about it I mean. The idea is great, I wondered why there wasn't an M14 scaled for other calibers before I discovered THERE WAS! However the more I learn the less I want one. I hear problems with accuracy, the politics of the (original?) owner who wanted to limit civilian magazine capacity, and the trouble finding good magazines for reasonable prices...
Eh. I'll make do with ARs.
Old September 7, 2010, 10:49 AM   #9
Crosshair

Part of the problem is that I'm relatively certain all the aftermarket Ruger mags are reverse engineered because the factory drawings have never been released.
Old September 8, 2010, 08:30 AM   #10
KMO

Quote:
However the more I learn the less I want one. I hear problems with accuracy, the politics of the (original?) owner who wanted to limit civilian magazine capacity, and the trouble finding good magazines for reasonable prices...
I wouldn't be steered away from the Mini-14 quite so easily...

1) Accuracy...This knock on the Mini is overblown. Accuracy issues are easily remedied, and inexpensively.

2) Politics...So, we know the politics of other industry leaders? Have a close look at Smith & Wesson's history. Ruger's customer service is second to none. That should be the focus. Politics sway with the breeze.

3) Magazines...The Mini-14 magazines are cheaper and more available now than they were just 3 years ago. I mentioned a couple of reliable aftermarket mags in the post above, and factory mags have also come down in price.

Check out the new factory tactical Mini-14...a great price right now, and accurate right out of the box...