The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 11, 1999, 02:34 PM   #1
cmac65

I have recently started shooting in IDPA competition and I would like some advice and training tips. Especially when it comes to the best way to learn/practice true 'tactical reloads'. When I started practicing reloads I was doing a reload with retention. I have small hands and working with two mags. in my hand at once presents its own set of challenges. With the retention reload I would drop the empty or partial into my support hand, place it in my back pocket and then retrieve a full mag. on my way back around. This way I only had to have one mag. in my hand at the time. I was told that IDPA had officially changed the rules to include true 'Tactical Reloads' where you retrieve the full mag. then drop the empty into your palm, then insert the new, then place the empty in your pocket or mag. pouch. (I prefer my back pocket) Any advice or suggestions on practicing this move or any other tips would be appreciated. Someone already told me that when I perform a mag. change that I should bring the gun in close to my chest with the gun canted a little towards my mag. pouches would speed up the reloads. He said, "get the gun in close where you can see it better." Thanks in advance. <C.W.>
Old April 12, 1999, 06:37 AM   #2
HS

Two types of thought on mag changes - 1. look at the gun & get the mag in quick or 2. look at the target & know what it's doing.

For a "game" go with 1, for "real life" go with 2 but if you go with 1 or 2 (all the time), could it get you killed in real life ?

NOW there's a CATCH 22 !!

For certain insertion of the mag, have your index finger running up the front of the mag so that it acts as a guide into the magwell.

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"

Old April 12, 1999, 08:43 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Unless the rules say otherwise, and you're in a match and trying to win, you let the empty mag hit the ground.

In real life, unless you're caught in the open, you're reloading behind cover or at least concealment, and may actually have more time and can retain the mag.

I was taught to do as HS said: The tip of your left index finger feels the top leading edge of the mag, and you "feel" it into place. A beveled mag well helps, also. This way you always look at the target or enemy.

With practice, you can fire a round, reload, and fire a round in an elapsed time of barely over one second.

How else can a Chip McCormick shoot a 5.0-second "El Presidente"?

Old April 12, 1999, 09:37 PM   #4
cmac65

Thanks for the information so far. I not as concerned about the 'real-life' scenerio at the moment as that probably wouldn't even require more than 2 or 3 shots. I am trying to learn a tactical reload for when the IDPA stage calls for that. If I'm shooting to 'slide lock' or they don't dictate which type of mag. change to do, then dropping the empty mag. on the ground is the way to go. I am trying to get into the habit of "Not" dropping a mag. however because if it had any ammo. in it at all and it hit the ground and I left it there I would get a procedural error. I can already do a mag. change with retention pretty fast because that is what I started practicing. Again, the biggest issue is the fact that my hands are kind of small and dealing with two clips is taking some getting used to. When shooting paper, as in IDPA, I take my eyes off of the paper and look entirely at the gun when I'm doing the mag. change so that it goes smoothly. If I look up and away then I have a habit of flubbing the insert. I haven't found a beveled mag. for a Sig. 220 yet. I would also like to hear of any other tips or helpful hints that deal with competition shooting.