The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 12, 2010, 12:21 PM   #1
Bluelair

Best locking pistol case for automobile?

My glove compartment unfortunately does not feature a lock.

I'm looking for a 1- or 2-pistol case to keep in my truck for times when I want to lock up my CCW when I'm going into a place where I can't take it. Although I hold an Arizona CCW, the new law has increased awareness to the point where it is being posted "NO FIREARMS" at many retail and eating establishments.

-#1 requirement is that it lock securely. I often cart my kids around.
-I prefer combination locks over key since that's one less object for me to worry about.
-It would be nice if it had a briefcase style handle to carry to and from the range.
-Nothing too gaudy either, nothing with keypad or blinking LEDs that says "break in and steal me". Simple black is fine.

I have this box, which is great, light, holds a lot, and low-profile, but it's impossible to lock it securely. It has a crappy lock loop that is a) easy to cut off, and b) when locked, you can still bend up the top enough to get at the guns. I wouldn't trust my kids near it.

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Protecto...0&sr=1-2-fkmr0

What do you all use?
Old September 12, 2010, 12:45 PM   #2
BitterTait

Safety deposit box. They are keyed, but driving a car is one time when you're more or less guaranteed to have keys on you.
Old September 12, 2010, 01:14 PM   #3
DocCasualty

I just picked up one of these but the key version, not the combo lock pictured. No handle but trim and discreet.

Secure - It® Handgun Storage Safe.

Old September 12, 2010, 01:57 PM   #4
Delaware_Dan

I would buy a small, keypad safe and bolt it to the floor of your truck. Right behind the console would be ideal if it's an extended cab. To prevent the gun(s) from bouncing around you can get a peice of foam for cheap and custom cut it to fit your gun(s).

-Bruce Lee
Old September 12, 2010, 02:42 PM   #5
zippy13

Greetings Bluelair, and welcome aboard,

I'm not sure if you're looking for a gun case and/or a lock box. A four-gun plastic case can "walk away" while you're having a long meal at that no firearms eating establishment. I like the idea of a lock box, instead. I could in the back of the cab, under the driver's seat or within the glove box or center console.
Old September 12, 2010, 05:41 PM   #6
WARRIOR I

I have three of the lock boxes that DocCasualty described, and they are
great as far as I'm concerned. They have a very flat profile and will fit just
about anywhere. They come with a steel cable that can be attached to the
seat frame if you want to store it there, or for more permanent installation
there are pre- drilled bolt holes in the bottom section. They have recently
come out with a smaller model which I really like, as it will fit in almost
any size luggage.
Old September 12, 2010, 11:15 PM   #7
hknut

I use a Gunvault Micro. It secures to you vehicle with a (rather thin) cable. But in the other hand it can be removed one it is opened. It holds 1 gun and costs around $100.

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old September 13, 2010, 10:21 AM   #8
Bluelair

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm down to getting 2 Secure-ITs or the Browning Talon:

Need something that'll hold 2 guns.

It's a bit more money, but the talon has higher capacity. I found the Secure-it for around $22 online, so I'll definitely keep that one in mind if I'm in need of something smaller, that's a great deal.
Old September 13, 2010, 03:15 PM   #9
DocCasualty

Bluelair, good luck on whatever you decide. I will tell you about the only negative I found with the Secure-it and my solution. It absolutely stank of what smelled like para-dichlorobenzene to me on arrival. I understand they are fumigated before they leave China, or so I read in reviews on Sportsman's Guide or Cabelas. Customers there forwarded various methods they used, including throwing out the foam inserts and replacing them. I soaked them in Odo-Ban for a couple of hours, ran them through a rinse cycle in the washing machine and dried them on low in the clothes dryer and that took care of it.

I didn't realize when I purchased it that they do come in a standard and large size, as only the large size was listed at SG (9.5X6.5X1.75"). Mostly got it for a G26 but even my PT99 fits and that has to be one of the bigger standard combat pistols out there. It will only fit one pistol though, as you have noted.