The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2009, 08:15 AM   #1
Ron

Problem adjusting my Dillon 550b

I've read the instructions over and over and I'm still having a problem getting the linkage adj. so the powder measure goes back to the closed position. When I pull the handle down it will open the slide but won't close back up. Any Dillon owners that can help me out would sure be appreciated.
Old May 18, 2009, 09:13 AM   #2
darkgael

dillon.

Dillon's customer service is first rate. Give'em a call if you don't get a quick fix here.
Pete
Old May 18, 2009, 09:25 AM   #3
freakshow10mm

Make sure the wing nut is tightened on the powder rod that connects from the measure to the spot by the ram.

This rod:

About this much tightened.

Old May 18, 2009, 09:34 AM   #4
Ron

This is a brand new press I bought Sat in B-Ham, Al. at a gun show. I always wanted one but never spent the money. The problem I had was not having a shell in the shell plate, After putting one there the slide works fine. STUPID me. Oh well, I always did go to the school of hard knocks. This is one fine looking press, very well made and can't wait to get it all set up and making some quality ammo. Thanks guys for responding so fast.
Old May 18, 2009, 06:23 PM   #5
Ron

When changing powders out, is there a quick way to remove the existing powder other than removing the measure and pouring it back into the container?

I got to say this machine is very fast compared to my rockchucker and I'm not up to speed yet. I'm gonna like it more when I get comfortable with it. I did purchase another powder measure, and don't know if it was a good investment or not. Thinking and I gonna need one for each caliber. It's like starting over again buying all the conversion kits and all.
Old May 18, 2009, 06:27 PM   #6
rjrivero

How much quicker do you want?

Remove the black knurled locking pins, free the powder return rod from the bottom of the machine, and take out the tool head, it slides right off the top of the press to the left. Take they dies and everything.

Then pour the powder back into the jug.

It's faster to do it than to type it!!
Old May 18, 2009, 06:31 PM   #7
Emerson

I do exactly the same thing as rj to remove the powder.
Old May 18, 2009, 06:36 PM   #8
Ron

Thanks for the reply, It's gonna be awhile before I'm totally comfortable with this press, but can tell already that I love it! It's taken me some time getting set up and hope you guys don't mind a few questions. The booklet of instructions that came with it doesn't tell you everything.
Old May 18, 2009, 06:50 PM   #9
Tucker 2

I bought a used one at a gun show. It took me a bit of time to get comfortable with it. Looks like lots-a-things going on at the same time. Take your time, you'll have it cranking soon.
Old May 18, 2009, 07:33 PM   #10
rjrivero

Better to ask than to break something!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
Thanks for the reply, It's gonna be awhile before I'm totally comfortable with this press, but can tell already that I love it! It's taken me some time getting set up and hope you guys don't mind a few questions. The booklet of instructions that came with it doesn't tell you everything.
You're most welcome. It's always better to ask than to break something.

I'm a big fan of the BLUE KOOLAID! And I'm happy to talk about it any time someone will listen. My GF is just glad it's not her having to listen this time

The powder bar will not dump powder if there is no cartridge in place to catch it. FWIW.
Old May 18, 2009, 08:01 PM   #11
ltdave

many many rounds have been loaded on mine since 1996...

started mostly with .38 and 9mm then added .40SW...shortly after that added .223Rem...

i dont run the rifle cartridges fully progressive as you need to clean the lube off before running them thru the powder and seating dies so i hand prime them and start at the powder station...

after you get it going, youll wonder how you ever got by without one. next thing is youll have so much loaded ammo youll shoot more and then your girlfriend will wonder where youve run off to...

congrats!
Old May 18, 2009, 11:51 PM   #12
3gunfreak

Dillon just put out some cool instructional videos for each of it's models. Search Youtube and there are some sample cuts from each video. I ordered one for my 650.
Old May 19, 2009, 06:29 AM   #13
freakshow10mm

To get familiar with the 550, run it like a turret. Put one casing in the press and run it through start to finish so you get the hang of it. Then run two at a time, then three, then full.

Note: To get consistent OALs, put one case in the press and perform the steps up to the bullet seating. Put an empty case in station 1, the sizing step. Now adjust your OAL with the seating die with the empty case in station 1.
Old May 19, 2009, 12:21 PM   #14
Ron

I've got my oal's set up nice, I'm adjusting the case bell now and it kinda touchy. It seems to be a little or just a little to much, right now I think I've got it where I can live with it. I don't have a FCD in station 4, looks like I've got to buy some. Thanks everyone for all the great tips, sure helps.
Old May 19, 2009, 02:09 PM   #15
PCJim

Ron and others new to the 550b,
If you use the above recommended method (which I also use) to dump the powder, BE SURE TO CLEAR any residual powder remaining in the powder throw bar. After dumping the powder reservoir, you can usually get two or more throws of powder thru the throw bar. Work the throw bar several times over your funnel/catch until no further powder is ejected.
Old May 19, 2009, 03:38 PM   #16
Ron

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...um=4&ct=title#

I watched the above video, all 5 parts after setting my machine up and to make sure I was doing it right. Looks like I did pretty good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resized picture.JPG (59.8 KB, 13 views)
Old May 19, 2009, 03:41 PM   #17
Ron

I don't know if this picture is any better or not it may be to large.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0295.jpg (246.7 KB, 21 views)
Old May 19, 2009, 06:16 PM   #18
Mike40-11

Quote:
I've got my oal's set up nice, I'm adjusting the case bell now and it kinda touchy. It seems to be a little or just a little to much
That's the only part of my 550 I'm not thrilled with. Adjusting the bell is VERY touchy. Once you finally get it though, you don't have to do it again! As long as you have a powder die for each toolhead, which you'll definitely want. A lot of folks will have a powder measure for each toolhead as well. Then you don't have to alter the head at all once it's set up.
Old May 19, 2009, 06:17 PM   #19
rjrivero

Nice Setup Ron. How do you like that Trimmer?
Old May 20, 2009, 09:21 AM   #20
Ron

It's the only style I ever used and seems to do the job. I do want to order a hollow pointer for it though.