The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 2, 2012, 10:52 AM   #26
Japle

Every time I go to the range I see people shooting full-size silhouette targets at 5-7 yds. They blast away and if most of their hits are close to center mass, they’re happy. They have no understanding of trigger control or follow-through. They don’t know how to prep the trigger or call their shots. Their chances of shooting a 1-2” group at 25 yards is somewhere between zero and negative fifty. When someone with the proper training and years of experience shoots a series of good groups, they call it “luck”.

Last year, a guy saw me shooting my CZ75 SA at 25 yds. He asked me, “What’s the trick?” I told him, “The trick is to do it!”

If you don’t know what you’re doing, you can’t do it. Get some training, for cryin’ out loud!
Old November 2, 2012, 11:24 AM   #27
Hal

Quote:
If you don’t know what you’re doing, you can’t do it. Get some training, for cryin’ out loud!
Dude - don't be baited...

Lot's of us have no problems with your targets...
Old November 2, 2012, 11:54 AM   #28
chewie146

Believe it or not, a MK II will take out a turkey silhouette at 75 yards. I've done it. Pistols are incredibly accurate. Most can't shoot them that well. The fact that he can shoot that well with a powerful caliber is impressive. A .22 rifle will hit a 12" gong at 300 yards. I've done it. There's a guy who did some ballistic tests on frozen turkeys at 400 yards with .22lr cartridges. Most guns are far more capable than their owners. Good shooting and keep it going. Don't worry about those who would be skeptical. If you don't believe him or me, check out Bob Munden or the other handful of incredible shooters out there. There are people who are satisfied with good enough, and there are those who aren't satisfied until they are the best. Maybe the naysayers could learn something from this guy rather than trying to pull out the rulers and see whose is bigger.
Old November 2, 2012, 12:46 PM   #29
drail

"most guns are far more capable than their owners" Exactly right. And it is amazing to me how much money people will spend on gun customization in the belief that it will tighten their groups.
Old November 2, 2012, 12:46 PM   #30
shortwave

That's one beautiful pistol Japle.

And very nice shooting as well.

PS. Your shooting talent does not need to be explained or defended to people to ignorant about shooting to understand what can be done with a pistol given enough practice. There seems to be a few members here lately on TFL that for whatever reason... lack of knowledge, need attention , or just have trouble fitting in...feel the need to be rude/negative when they post in threads. Both have posted in this thread(you know who you are).

As you know Japle, best just to ignore their ignorance.

Again, nice pistol and shooting.

Last edited by shortwave; November 2, 2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old November 2, 2012, 03:19 PM   #31
Brian48

Nice gun. Besides "Sudden Impact", I remember that gun being prominently featured/used in "Beverly Hills Cops II". It was gun Brigitte Nielsen used in the movie.
Old November 2, 2012, 03:25 PM   #32
Chaz88

Always wanted an auto mag. Maybe I will find one someday. Nice shooting. I am not that good with all my hand guns but am with one of them. It is easy to make claims and call BS on the internet, as long as you know it is true that is all that matters. I grew up target shooting at 25yds and beyond so the trend to practice at 5 to 7 has always been a little strange to me.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 2, 2012, 06:00 PM   #33
3kgt2nv

Getting amazing accuracy and groups is simply practice and consistency. I shoot alot. probably close to 150k rounds annually. I reload and cast all my own bullets and have a large portion of my disposable income directed to my shooting habits. I started shooting a few years ago and quickly took to trying to competition. I started shooting at 10 yards and every time i could hold a 1-1.5 inch group with a pistol one handed slow fire i would move back a yard. and continue the routine. there are sometimes months between moving back farther but it does happen fairly quick.

this is a normal 50 yard bullseye target shot slow fire with a s&w model 41 in 22lr.

whats sad is this doesn't even put me into competition at most of the local matches much less state or us wide. my average score fluctuates between a 94-97 with varying x's with a hand full of times a 99 varying x's and once a 100 6x
Old November 3, 2012, 01:42 AM   #34
FloridaVeteran

Japle - did you shoot this at PMRPC or at Moss Park? Great shooting, but whenever I have shot a tack-driver (I now am too old to drive tacks), it was with a low-no-creep 2 - 2.5 lb. trigger pull, not a rough 5+ pound pull.
Old November 3, 2012, 07:41 AM   #35
Japle

FV, I was at the Titusville range. The Malabar range is OK, but I like the good-'ol-boy atmosphere at TRPC.
Old November 3, 2012, 11:27 AM   #36
K_Mac

Japle that is a fine looking pistol and excellent shooting. That kind of energy from a hand gun, esp with the ability to shoot accurately is amazing. Very cool. Nice post!

As far as the doubters are concerned, I recently had a conversation with a young man on another site. When I questioned his contentious posts his answer was similar to what you have received. This idea of "busting balls" as a conversational style may be fine when joking with friends. In this format it often comes off as childish in my not so humble opinion.
Old November 3, 2012, 11:45 AM   #37
shortwave

Quote:
3kgt2nv

Looks like your getting the job done as well.
Good shooting.
Old November 3, 2012, 11:53 AM   #38
DFrame

The automag was a facinating gun. It had a recoil operated action with a rotating bolt that locked up similarly to a rifle. There were many factors that caused it to eventually fail But not the quality of the guns. I wanted one badly back in the 70s when they came out and couldn't afford one. Nowadays they cost several times as much (if you can find one) and I still can't afford one.
Old November 3, 2012, 12:13 PM   #39
Bear River

The Automag was and is a fine weapon. I had a Biz for awhile making ammo for these guns. The son of the orginal owner moved to Hot Springs Co. Wyoming. He sold many prototyes etc. while he was there. I think he was involved with the ill fated Wyoming Arms handguns. My favorite of the early auto cannons was the LAR Grizz .45 Win. Mag. These were made on the floor above the old .454 Casull plant in Jordon, Ut. I have the .357 Mag. conv. kit as well.

Old November 3, 2012, 01:10 PM   #40
Microgunner

You make rhose .44AMP rounds from .308 brass if I remember correctly?
Old November 3, 2012, 01:16 PM   #41
FloridaVeteran

Japle - good choice, re the range. Been there a few times - usually nice & quiet, where the others are always very busy.
Old November 3, 2012, 03:57 PM   #42
Japle

Quote:
You make rhose .44AMP rounds from .308 brass if I remember correctly?
You can do it that way. I've made hundreds of them, but it's a major PITA. I bought 500 cases from Starline.
Old November 3, 2012, 04:51 PM   #43
k_dawg

A fixed barrel along with a long sight radius is a major benefit for long distance accuracy.

I shoot revolvers better for long distance/bulls eye however.
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
Texas State Rep. Suzanna Gratia-Hupp
Old November 5, 2012, 07:52 AM   #44
Tactical Jackalope

Kept this behind my door. 150rds :P
SIG Sauer 1911 XO - Custom Springfield MilSpec 1911 - Colt Gold Cup Trophy Model 1911 - Colt 70 Series 1911 - SIG Sauer P226 E2 - Browning High-Power - Walther PPQ - Glock 17 - Glock 34 - Glock 19 - Glock 21SF - Glock 22 - S&W Model 19 - H&k USP 40 - Remington Magnum 870 - Rock River AR-15 & Getting myself back in LE soon enough..Miss it.
Old November 6, 2012, 12:37 PM   #45
Gaerek

Quote:
"most guns are far more capable than their owners" Exactly right. And it is amazing to me how much money people will spend on gun customization in the belief that it will tighten their groups.
I'm a bit into photography. I have a few very nice shots, but for the most part, I'm not great, better than average, but a lot of people are far better than me. There's a photography forum that I used to frequent regularly, and it's amazing to me that this is the same attitude there also. If I buy the best camera's and best lenses and best gear, I can make pro level photographs!

You'd see an absolute newbie drop 10k on gear ($3k DSLR body, and another $6k on lenses, and another $1k on various other pieces of equipment) and wonder why they weren't taking great photos.

In both types of shooting (firearms, cameras) you can't shoot above your equipment. When you get skills, you may be able to shoot above your equipment, and then it makes sense to upgrade. But doing it before in the belief that it will make you better is completely false.
Old November 6, 2012, 05:45 PM   #46
SPEMack618

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydollar
...because Don Pendleton armed "Mack Bolan" of the "Executioner" series with one in any number of his novels in the early-to-mid 1970's. I read the series up to number 77, or something, and I think it continued on long after I found new interests (read: girls) to waste my time on...
Indeed he did! Mack Bolan, in addition to sharing my Christian name, was a hero of mine growing up, I had a sympathetic 9th grade english teacher give me the first fifty or so books day and I was hooked. I quite reading the series in around the 300s or so, in no small part to Mack switching to a Beretta 93R. Ick.

Great looking piece, Japle. Good shooting too, better than I could do.

And that's some fine shootin' iron you got there, Bear River.
Old November 6, 2012, 08:56 PM   #47
RsqVet

Nice shooting and a very cool gun.

Stevejeff man join the marines, they will teach you how to shoot and to have a little respect. Also if as you say you like to tick people off on a daily basis they will provide you a nice group of men, your DI's who will be overjoyed at the chance to oblige you.

I shoot mostly during the work week, because I have many weekdays off and the range is less crowded. What I have learned from the many distinguished gentelmen at the range I could not have learned from any book or class.
Furthermore I have developed a healthy respect for seasoned men with blued guns with wood grips and a healthy cynicism towards the tactical turtles who thought about what they were wearing to the range.

You see experiance has shown me that most of the time those guys with the blued guns are eating the centers out of targets happily at 25 or 50 yards. Not saying much other than maybe sharing a new load. Conversely the tactical turles full of bluster are doing drills from low redy with their optic equipped ar and producing shot gun scatter patterns at 25 or 50 yards.

These are not universal truths however I have observed this a good 80-90% of the time. Most shooters should ask themselves who they want to be and channel the habits and attitudes of those they seek to emulate even if
They chose to master different weapons.
Old November 7, 2012, 06:00 PM   #48
mes228

Shooting

I must say those groups are outstanding. Even if shot from a pistol rest. I shoot weekly with a ex-Bullseye shooter and he is the "original dead-eye-dick".
He was a Champion shooter and even he can not come close to that. I surely can't. At 8 yards or so I could. At any, rate congratulations on your accuracy, it is quite rare.
Old November 7, 2012, 07:46 PM   #49
Japle

Thanks for the kind words, but be advised: I don't claim to be able to shoot groups that small every time.

If the weather holds out, I'll hit the range tomorrow and try it at 50 yds with some slightly warmer handloads.
Old November 8, 2012, 12:43 AM   #50
fun2shoot

Nice looking pistol