The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 24, 2010, 05:07 PM   #1
rwtipton

keep out

I live in Louisiana. I have a problem with people walking through my yard. I have no trespassing signs posted clearly. When I confront them directly they want to swear and fight me. The police can't do any thing do to the fact that they are not in my yard when they get here. How much trouble will I get into for shooting the trespassers with rubber buck shots? It is non lethal, I would think as long as no one dies discharge of a firearm in city limits would be my only crime.
Old February 24, 2010, 05:09 PM   #2
t4terrific

You would go to jail, and lose your right to own.
Old February 24, 2010, 05:12 PM   #3
RoscoeC

Your crime will at least be assault with a deadly weapon and more than likely attempted murder. A shotgun is a deadly weapon regardless of what you put in it. Believe me, it will be a lot cheaper to install a high fence, and the fence won't land you in jail. Firing off a shotgun at a passerby definitely will.

Very, very, very bad idea, my friend. The only justification legally for discharging a firearm at another human being is if you are truly in fear for your life. Someone crossing your yard doesn't exactly qualify.
NRA Life Member
Old February 24, 2010, 05:21 PM   #4
TangoMcBlasty

Um... assuming this is even a real question, I would think your local PD would be the people to talk to about this.

I don't think having people mosey through your yard is a good enough reason to brandish a firearm. Having it being loaded with "less-than-lethal" rounds might even put you in a worse situation. If your trespasser has a gun and you provoke him, his lead bullets will beat your rubber bullets.

This question is tantamount to asking, "Is it okay if I throw rocks at people?"

If having people walk though your yard is enough motivation to have your first post on a firearms forum be about shooting them, then maybe you should invest in some chain-link fence, not riot-control ammo.
Old February 24, 2010, 05:26 PM   #5
orangello

^^^ & maybe a doggie to live inside the chain link fence. Rottweillers can be very sweet if raised properly, but they still look scary to strangers.
Old February 24, 2010, 05:28 PM   #6
KingEdward

there was a yard in my brother's neighborhood that people
would "cut through" all the time.

The owner got tired of it.

He got a doberman and kept it on a cable/runner so that
the dog could go just about everywhere in the yard except
not into the street or on the sidewalk.

Ironically, people stopped cutting through the yard.

A dog or fence will be much cheaper than shooting at someone
who is not a threat or brandishing a firearm at someone.
Old February 24, 2010, 05:51 PM   #7
security1

How much trouble will I get into for shooting the trespassers with rubber buck shots? It is non lethal, I would think as long as no one dies discharge of a firearm in city limits would be my only crime!!

You're not serious right??!! It would be more than unlawful discharge of a firearm. It would be assault with a deadly weapon if not upgraded to attempted murder. Common sense should prevail here! It's because of actions like that, that cities like Chicago in my home state have so many gun laws on the books now and want to add to it. The only way you could shoot at them and I mean the only way is if they had a deadly weapon on them and used it in a threatening manner. If that was the case we could shoot everybody that comes into our yards. It don't work quite like that. Trust me a fence or some well placed greenery such as bushes would work much better and nobody would be going to jail afterward either!!
Old February 24, 2010, 07:10 PM   #8
goodspeed(TPF)

Don't feed the TROLLS!!!!!!

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old February 24, 2010, 07:13 PM   #9
Hank15

Guys, I am not condoning the following, but:

How about recreational items such as paintball guns?

Would he be charged with anything serious if he used a paintball gun?

If a paintball gun is out of the question, I would have to suggest a decent sized dog.

Good luck, and please, for our sake, do not do anything that will likely put a dent on the reputation of firearm owners.
Old February 24, 2010, 07:34 PM   #10
security1

I know here in IL a paintball gun could still be considered aggravated assault wit the intent to do bodily harm. But the laws here are kind of messed up anyway. I've heard of people being charged with aggravated assault for using a BB gun, so I'm sure a paintball gun could still fall under the same law. Then you have the whole lawsuit thing if you shoot somebody (paintball gun or not) and it does cause injury such as hitting them in the eye, or even if they fall down and get hurt after being hit.
Old February 24, 2010, 07:45 PM   #11
scorpion_tyr

A 40lbs or more dog. I'm not a big fan of people chaining their dogs up, but a < $5 screw in the yard post and a < $5 20ft tiedown chain and a $0-whatever you want to spend on a dog will solve your problem.

Using "less than lethal" rounds out of a firearm will still be considered deadly force. Yes, in some states it is perfectly legal to shoot someone on your property that has "No Trespassing" signs posted, especially if it's after dark, but people have been sent to prison for it in those states as well.

If you're not a dog person, put up a fence. Even the most expensive fence will be cheaper than spending a few years in prison. And if it's legal in your area, put up an electric fence.

Believe it or not, there are many times when the use of a firearm is not the best choice. Above all keep asking your local LE what you should do, eventually you'll get a good answer.
Old February 25, 2010, 01:21 AM   #12
Scattergun Bob

rwtipton

This is not an appropriate question for this forum. Please take your question somewhere else.
Old February 25, 2010, 07:35 AM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

To add to SGB...

The reason for his wording in his post is also mentioned above... We at TFL understand that bringing a gun to bear against any human is required only for direct and immediate threat to life, limb or personal liberty at the hands of an attacker.
Brent
Old February 25, 2010, 08:38 AM   #14
skydiver3346

Shoot at the people in your yard?

Yeah, try that one and see what happens to you. Simply walking through your yard is not life threatening to your person and you would go to jail or worse (they would shoot you in return).

It's simple: PUT A FENCE ON YOUR YARD.........
Old February 25, 2010, 12:56 PM   #15
TxGun

As others have said, put up a fence and get a bad dog. Really pretty simple.
Old February 25, 2010, 01:00 PM   #16
rattletrap1970

Come on now. This is a Troll. Only has one post to his name and asks a question like that? If it's not a Troll, god help up that he owns guns at all.
Old February 25, 2010, 05:14 PM   #17
Smitty in CT

Set up a lawn sprinkler, they'll go around....

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old February 25, 2010, 05:30 PM   #18
markj

Install a lawn sprinkler system, wait for em, turn it on at the right time, they run away. After a few times they will never cross your lawn again. Works on dogs too that want to deposit in the yard.
Old February 25, 2010, 05:48 PM   #19
Scorch

If you do decide to shoot at a lawn-crosser, could you call me beforehand? I have never seen a SWAT Team in action before. I could sell tickets! I could sell popcorn! I could be rich!!!!!!!!!

Or buy one of these. Cheaper than a lawyer.
http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2...9&menupage=975
Old February 25, 2010, 05:55 PM   #20
dgludwig

Quote:
You would go to jail, and lose your right to own.
You can't get much more "pro-gun" than me, but if I'm on the jury, I hope he packed a toothbrush along with a jumbo-sized jar of Vaseline. What an idiotic question! I can only hope he's a troll, looking for a reaction. If so, well, it worked. If not, well, if he's a friend, who needs enemies.
Old February 25, 2010, 06:00 PM   #21
Lee Lapin

How much trouble will I get into for shooting the trespassers with rubber buck shots? It is non lethal, I would think as long as no one dies discharge of a firearm in city limits would be my only crime.

Well, let's see. Assuming this is a serious question...

Number one, you could get killed. If the person you shot or shot at was carrying a gun and decided to shoot back, that is. I don't know your local law, but it might even be legal for anyone you shot at to shoot back and claim self defense, since you shot first.

And when the police did show up, you'd almost certainly get arrested for ADW at a minimum, and probably a laundry list of other charges too.

Then there's that thing about "non lethal." There ain't no such thing. ANYTHING fired out of a shotgun can be lethal, including rubber buckshot. You might be getting arrested for murder, not just ADW.

And even if you didn't kill somebody but managed to do some permanent damage with your "non lethal" rubber buckshot, like putting out an eye or permanently destroying some other delicate body part, then you'd probably get so sued you'd never recover from it, especially after the local legal system got through with you.

So, I'd say you could get into a LOT of trouble. Wouldn't you??

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old February 25, 2010, 06:02 PM   #22
Willie Lowman

TROLL THREAD
TROLL THREAD
TROLL THREAD

Old February 25, 2010, 06:04 PM   #23
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I think the true term of these projectiles also leaves you hung out to dry...

Less Lethal doesn't say a thing about "safe" or "harmless" it just says it "may not" kill the person on the loud end of the gun...
Brent
Old February 25, 2010, 06:39 PM   #24
oneounceload

Quote:
Come on now. This is a Troll. Only has one post to his name and asks a question like that? If it's not a Troll, god help up that he owns guns at all.
Or maybe just an Anti trying to see what reactions us "guns nuts" could come up with..........
Old February 25, 2010, 07:05 PM   #25
output

This actually hits close to home for me. This past year I had the same problem with a bunch of High School kids. They would walk through my yard or ride their bikes…and not just one or two kid’s actual groups of 10-20 of them. They were extremely loud, would tear up my lawn, leave trash all over the place, and sometimes move things around if no one was home. That might not sound like much but it was extremely frustrating and I am leaving out a lot of detail! There kids were bad… At first I would walk outside and politely ask them to please find another way to and from school and give my reasoning. I think I asked them politely more then 15 or 20 times…each time I would ask they would get a little more unruly, extremely vulgar, and threatening and each time that would happen I would become a little more upset and angry as well. Anyhow, I put up private property signs, no trespassing, spoke with local law enforcement, and nothing worked. So believe me I can understand your situation…I was not afraid of them and I did not want to harm them I just wanted them not to walk on or trash my property. So I became a nuisance to them…everyday I would leave work early go home and play with my dogs in my yard (my dogs are protection trained and very obedient on and off leash) not only would I play with my dogs in my yard, I took over all of the neighbors yards as well. Shortly there after some of the kids showed up with their parents saying “I threatened to sick my dogs on them” which I did not do! I had a lovely talk with the parents that ended with all of them getting scolded and slapped around a little (by their parents of course).
I ended up fencing off my property anyway after the problem was solved. I never threatened them in anyway; I just made my presence known as an adult and authority figure. If that had not worked…I would have installed a sprinkler system and pestered them that way or put up the fence as I did anyway. No matter how angry you get…resorting to violence is not the answer. Less then lethal force can still be deadly...and it is still force. Installing a sprinkler system or fence is an easy fix and will increase the value of your home anyway, and both are great ideas…
I just wanted to share my story. I hope it helps a little.