The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 14, 2019, 10:04 PM   #26
TBM900

$240 with spare magazine

Built Like a tank and will last a lifetime

Old January 14, 2019, 10:42 PM   #27
GarandTd

Saving up a couple hundred dollars over your original budget will get you a more expensive gun. It may or may not be "decent" or "better". I don't think those suggestions are very helpful. There have been quite a few good suggestions at or near your price range. You need to decide what exactly you want within your budget and what purpose it is going to serve. There are decent options within your budget. When the budget is tight you have to shop around for the best deals. It takes a little more work, but it's doable and worth it. I have purchased 4 handguns in the last 2 years. All have been "decent" and under $300. All purchased brand new.
Old January 14, 2019, 11:55 PM   #28
Fishbed77

Another very high-quality option under $200: CZ-82

https://www.jgsales.com/-p-102957.html
Old January 15, 2019, 12:33 AM   #29
chris in va

Let me clarify...

I'm no stranger to firearms, note the post count. I already have my own guns covered.

However it's been a few years since I purchased anything (save for my P365) so I'm just wondering what the current crop of budget guns is decent these days. My stepdaughter is looking to get a smallish HD 9mm, she's just strapped for excess funds right now...but needs something.

She really likes the p365 and the 938, but $500+ is out of the question.
Old January 15, 2019, 12:39 AM   #30
JohnKSa
Staff

CDNN has some deals on 9mm pistols--there are a number that come in under $250.
Old January 15, 2019, 01:01 AM   #31
raimius

For a small carry gun, I'd probably look around for a good deal on a Shield.
LCPs can be had for sub $200, if you are OK with .380.
Old January 15, 2019, 01:09 AM   #32
chris in va

She may be alright with 380, I'll have to ask.
Old January 15, 2019, 07:08 AM   #33
tallball

As others have said, the Star BM is a nice pistol. I like mine a lot. I would have no problem with using it as a HD pistol. Since it is a steel 9mm, the recoil is squat. Mine is nicely made and finished.
Old January 15, 2019, 07:49 AM   #34
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in va View Post
Aside from a Ruger LC9s, are there other decent handguns in the $250 range? I'm not sold on Taurus just yet.
Hmm, you have over 13,000 posts here..something we aren't getting here?

Ahh, see the 'clarification'..BUT have her shoot some of these. A lot of smallish 9mm are NO FUN to shoot. I'd also not limit this to 9mm..a LOT of really nice .380s do the job, are smaller and are much more FunToShoot. Modern .380 ammo isn't the stuff John Browning invented over 100 years ago.

Used Glock 42..easy to conceal, great shooter..'might be a wee bit over $250 but finding a used one for right around $300 pretty easy.

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; January 15, 2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old January 15, 2019, 07:51 AM   #35
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852 View Post
If your life is worth $250 than buy whatever is available, if it is worth more than scrimp and save more as has been suggested. Better yet take a self defense class because if this is all you can afford than you will not be able to afford shooting to become proficient. You owe it to yourself to be good with or without a gun.
C'mon..there are a LOT of $250 handguns that are reliable, accurate, do their job well..A $500 handgun isn't automatically 'twice' as good doing the same thing. Often a 'more expensive' gun is only 'more expensive'...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 15, 2019, 08:08 AM   #36
Spats McGee
Staff

Sometimes, the "scrimp and save" plan to get a pistol that costs more just isn't in the cards, or may take more time than is feasible. Some folks like to phrase it as "What is your life worth?," when a better question might be "Is your life worth defending today, or do you want to wait a year?" (Wanna guess how I know?)

There are lots of options available in that price range, particularly if you can help her search for a used pistol. Personally, I don't mind buying used, if it's a pistol that I know enough about that I can (with some degree of certainty) assess it's condition.
Old January 15, 2019, 08:26 AM   #37
TBM900

Quote:
My stepdaughter is looking to get a smallish HD 9mm, she's just strapped for excess funds right now...but needs something..
If all she can swing is $250....be a good dad and pitch in another fifty bucks.

I bet she will love it!

Throw in a dozen boxes of ammunition for practice and tell her its an early birthday present, seriously.

Last edited by TBM900; January 15, 2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old January 15, 2019, 08:53 AM   #38
USNRet93

POTM..Post Of The Morning...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 15, 2019, 11:33 PM   #39
chris in va

Again, a little confusion.

I'm the one paying for it.
Old January 16, 2019, 06:47 AM   #40
USNRet93

Quote:

Ahh..modern .380 very effective but teeny guns, even in .380, really are not fun to shoot..like LCP..but methinks you already know that.

Fair number of G42 on GunBroker..really happy with mine.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 16, 2019, 10:34 AM   #41
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in va
My stepdaughter is looking to get a smallish HD 9mm, she's just strapped for excess funds right now...but needs something.
Good for you!

Depending on how quickly you need to make a purchase, you might watch the Gun.Deals website's handgun deals for a few days.
Old January 16, 2019, 11:10 AM   #42
fisherman

Cheapskate is right

When he says intimidated about all the hate Taurus fanatics, he is exactly correct about these people. I don't know what their problem is but I been shooting several Taurus revolvers and several compact and sub compact Taurus semi-autos for years. Just recently with the semi-autos but I gotta tell ya they are great little pistols. Many many rounds through a slim and a poly ply 22 in the last 12 months and not a single problem. Yes I had to adjust the clip lips on the 22 but that is true with most 22 clips. It was either S&W or Ruger even made a tool to do it for many guns for many years. I got about 200 bucks in both semis and am probably going to buy a Spectrum 380 very soon.
Old January 16, 2019, 11:34 AM   #43
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
Ahh..modern .380 very effective but teeny guns, even in .380, really are not fun to shoot..like LCP..but methinks you already know that.

Fair number of G42 on GunBroker..really happy with mine.
One of the great aspects of the 380EZ is that it is not only a pleasure to shoot, but it’s actually fun! The locked breech combined with an adult sized grip make it shoot like a loud 22lr, there is no snap or flip. I’ve taken to calling them goldilocks as everything about it is ‘just right’, something I never thought I would say about a 380 (and can’t say about many other firearms).

Last edited by TBM900; January 16, 2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old January 16, 2019, 11:45 AM   #44
TBM900

Quote:

I hadn’t seen that mentioned but good for you in doing so
That said, throw in another $50 and get the EZ.
I’ve yet to find anyone that didn’t love it after trying it, especially if done side by side with other common firearms.

The only way to know for sure is for someone to try multiples and decide for themselves. But my experience thus far would indicate that the odds of someone not being able to enjoy shooting it, and not quickly becoming proficient with it, are incredibly slim.
Old January 16, 2019, 01:23 PM   #45
chris in va

My sister recently bought a Shield EZ, she seems to really like it. I'm just concerned 380 isn't enough for someone breaking into her house, hopped up on drugs.

As for Taurus, I've personally witnessed three different models spectacularly fail during a match and at the range, so I'm leery of the brand.

My stepdaughter really liked the Sig 938 and my P365 but $$$. The chances of her CC are pretty slim, this will probably be a nightstand ornament.
Old January 16, 2019, 01:58 PM   #46
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in va
I'm just concerned 380 isn't enough for someone breaking into her house, hopped up on drugs.
The chances of her CC are pretty slim, this will probably be a nightstand ornament.
Your stepdaughter's proficiency with guns is a big factor in the recommendation process. A pistol that is a rarely used "nightstand ornament" might produce more hits from an easily managed 380 than from a 9mm that was more difficult to shoot.
Old January 16, 2019, 05:21 PM   #47
TBM900

Quote:
My sister recently bought a Shield EZ, she seems to really like it I'm just concerned 380 isn't enough for someone breaking into her house, hopped up on drugs.

As for Taurus, I've personally witnessed three different models spectacularly fail during a match and at the range, so I'm leery of the brand.

My stepdaughter really liked the Sig 938 and my P365 but $$$. The chances of her CC are pretty slim, this will probably be a nightstand ornament.
Practice
Placement
Penetration
All outweigh caliber and 'expansion' when speaking of common SD handgun cartridges.

Don't take my word for it, nor that of the ballistic gelatin fanboys.....get out and hunt.

I've taken game since I was still single digit sprout, shotgun, rifle, and pistol. The differences between the common SD calibers are relatively insignificant, the spread between the largest to the smallest is generally less then that of the wounds created by deeper penetration -and- proper placement. I've dropped (instantly) ton+ beef with a single round of 22lr, placement.

People love to geek out over fractions of inches in jello, so called 'wound tracks' and 'trauma', it is largely irrelevant gibberish. But the ammunition manufacturers love it even more because they can sell boutique ammunition in pretty boxes at $2 per cartridge.

I would be more afraid of a 70y/o granny packing a Single-Six that was regularly practiced and confident, then some jello fanboy sporting a mag filled with $20 worth of caliber x/y/x that only went to a range a couple of times a year.

Your daughter being comfortable and confident with whatever she uses is the biggest hurdle, if she's aces on those two aspects she will want to practice and improve her skills which will make her the weapon, not what's in her hand.

PS...take note of the part in your post I put in bold

Last edited by TBM900; January 16, 2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old January 17, 2019, 07:49 AM   #48
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBM900 View Post
Practice
Placement
Penetration

All outweigh caliber and 'expansion' when speaking of common SD handgun cartridges.

Don't take my word for it, nor that of the ballistic gelatin fanboys.....get out and hunt.

I've taken game since I was still single digit sprout, shotgun, rifle, and pistol. The differences between the common SD calibers are relatively insignificant, the spread between the largest to the smallest is generally less then that of the wounds created by deeper penetration -and- proper placement. I've dropped (instantly) ton+ beef with a single round of 22lr, placement.

People love to geek out over fractions of inches in jello, so called 'wound tracks' and 'trauma', it is largely irrelevant gibberish. But the ammunition manufacturers love it even more because they can sell boutique ammunition in pretty boxes at $2 per cartridge.

I would be more afraid of a 70y/o granny packing a Single-Six that was regularly practiced and confident, then some jello fanboy sporting a mag filled with $20 worth of caliber x/y/x that only went to a range a couple of times a year.

Your daughter being comfortable and confident with whatever she uses is the biggest hurdle, if she's aces on those two aspects she will want to practice and improve her skills which will make her the weapon, not what's in her hand.

PS...take note of the part in your post I put in bold
What he said...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 17, 2019, 08:11 AM   #49
jar

Quote:
My sister recently bought a Shield EZ, she seems to really like it. I'm just concerned 380 isn't enough for someone breaking into her house, hopped up on drugs.

Modern 380 ain't the 380 of yer youth. Today there are some formidable 380 rounds available including the newer sintered frangible rounds that push a relatively light bullet out of a short barrel at over 100fps and with relatively low felt recoil. The sintered frangible rounds have the additional advantage in a home defense scenario of crumbling on contact with metal, rock, brick or cinder block instead of ricocheting while they will penetrate dry wall or most hollow core doors.

For over a half century my at home always available handgun was one of my snubbies. When I was young and foolish it was loaded with 357jhp but as I became older and wiser 38 Special sjhp became the norm. But today the always available personal protection handgun of choice is a smaller 380 ranging in size from the largest being a Sig P230 or Beretta 380 (the model has varied over time but all about the same size) to the very modern Beretta Pico, Remington RM380, S&W M&P Bodyguard 380 or Ruger LCP. The last four specifically are regularly available new at $200.00 or less and have been utterly reliable.
Old January 17, 2019, 08:49 AM   #50
davidsog

Quote:
I'm just concerned 380 isn't enough for someone breaking into her house, hopped up on drugs.
While I tend to agree with your skepticism and own 9mm, .40 cal, and .45 pistols myself.....

Facts and data show .380 to be a very effective pistol cartridge, eclipsing both 9mmP and .45 ACP.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alte...stopping-power

So the facts point to .380 being a good round for personal defense.

She can be confident her little .380 will do better or just as well as any other pistol cartridge commonly used in defense.